Quantcast

Thoughts on People

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Heath Sherratt said:
Actually God did that with the Flood...remember? Noah? The Ark? Actually that was more like 99.9%. But hey, here we are again.
The world would be a better place without Christians, about 99.999% of them. The false stories told are also laughable, aka Noahs Ark.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sherpa said:
The world would be a better place without Christians, about 99.999% of them. The false stories told are also laughable, aka Noahs Ark.
If you weren't ignorant you would understand that religious literature is meant to be read at a metaphorical level, not a literal one. The ironic thing is that's the problem with the annoying 99.999% of Christians you speak of: they read the Bible at a completely literal level. :rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Bicyclist said:
If you weren't ignorant you would understand that religious literature is meant to be read at a metaphorical level, not a literal one. The ironic thing is that's the problem with the annoying 99.999% of Christians you speak of: they read the Bible at a completely literal level. :rolleyes:
The trouble that rational people realise that religious literature (bible, koran etc.) are simply books written, editted, re-written, translated and doctored by people, and not the 'actual word of god'. However there are a large community of people who somehow have convinced themselves that this is somehow not that case and stories like the burning bush, the flood etc. are actually true.

PAWN3d in 5,4,3....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
What about the other half of that post?
It doesn't need to be forgotten.........among high school kids.

Most of the people here are adults and don't need to be told to not value someone as an ispiration to their lives just because they're wearing gap jeans. Cept for n8 maybe.

It's like dropping some great knowledge that the man awn thuh teevee ain't smarter than you just cuz he looks good dressed. You veil it as a question, but that wasn't your purpose.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Changleen said:
The trouble that rational people realise that religious literature (bible, koran etc.) are simply books written, editted, re-written, translated and doctored by people, and not the 'actual word of god'. However there are a large community of people who somehow have convinced themselves that this is somehow not that case and stories like the burning bush, the flood etc. are actually true.

PAWN3d in 5,4,3....
So, didn't we just say the same thing a different way?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
But what is cool? I expect that Heath thinks Jesus is cool. It's not that hard to be a Christian in the US these days.

People will always have the flock mentality, it's unavoidable.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Sherpa said:
Would the world be a better place without your participation?

What makes you think you are any better?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
biggins said:
i think it would be best if we just decided to get over ourselves,
that would be asking to much of this board....

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Heath Sherratt said:
The content of my post is a cry to others to pay attention to what they do and why they do it. It is set in a non aggressive way because people have insecurities and resistances that are both concious and subconcious to anything that opposes their belief sytem. It also helps people that really want to develop to do so without thinking someone is attacking them personally even though it is general and broad enought to include everyone, people will still find it personally offensive because they are bitter and angry with themselves but blame their anger on others.:clue:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Heath Sherratt said:
I have a succinct description of society (american at least, but I believe others as well, if not all.) We as a people, would rather follow people because they are cool rather than because of what they believe in.
i couldn't agree more.

just take a look around and see how most are enamoured with everything those hollywood painted faces say and do.
people base their entire being on following the phoney facades of actors and singers.
they base their political beliefs on what they say.
they dress according to what they wear.
and so on and so on.

here in the south you have droves of people who hound stockcar drivers for their name scribbled on a scrap of paper. like these are people worthy of that much attention.
nor are most athletes, who turn out to be nothing more than overpaid losers.
but people emulate them like they're gods. all the while knowing absolutely nothing about them.

which brings up organized religions.
that's a whole 'nother can of worms that ya'll have covered.

alot of americans are lifeless bastards who live their lives vicariously thru the television set.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
kidwoo said:
I don't see the topic as religious, just the poster.

Now it's been relinquished to the 4 people that read this forum.
Why not start a 'What is cool' thread without the religious angle?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
kidwoo said:
I don't see the topic as religious, just the poster.

Now it's been relinquished to the 4 people that read this forum.
I viewed it as thinly veiled proselytizing by the author. I admit that I might be biased in that my only discussion with Heath led to him proselytizing to me, but his bewailing people not following Jesus seemed like a pretty clear tip-off.

Edit: Woo, even you made a mention about how Heath was probably talking to his preacher this weekend.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Old Man G Funk said:
I viewed it as thinly veiled proselytizing by the author. I admit that I might be biased in that my only discussion with Heath led to him proselytizing to me, but his bewailing people not following Jesus seemed like a pretty clear tip-off.

Edit: Woo, even you made a mention about how Heath was probably talking to his preacher this weekend.
Yeah but that was me, not him.

He didn't mention da jeebus in his first post. But yeah, like you, I know what's behind it.

Just seemed like a wierd one to move. I guess with heath's history, we knew where it was going. I just think of this as the politics board not the religion board.......especially concerning something as mundane as "who do you think is cool?"

Not that big of a deal. Just seemed a little out of place to move it here. Maybe not.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Changleen said:

PAWN3d in 5,4,3....
Provide evidence of this.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
sanjuro said:
The King James Bible?
That it's false...off the topic anyways.
It's interesting that you all brought up religion because either you know me or you can see my avatar but actually it was just me thinking and bringing up an idea that I have thought about alot. It was spurned into thred via a discussion I had with a friend. Not my preacher/pastor. Interesting how you can be so judgmental when you claim the hatred for religion spawned from their judgements of you or their hypocritical lifestyles or their yadayadayada. You are no different from those types of people except you are in a different gang. The clothes do not make the man so to speak.
Many people including lots on this board are influenced by riders like Steve Peat or Cedric Gracia or Brian Lopes but they know nothing about them except what they hear or what they see in the videos or what they read in the magazines. Having been a "celebrity" because of my career in skateboarding I know that many people create seperate identities to live out in front of the public eye and lead very different lives behind closed doors. Some don't. Some are who they are and people just don't have the capacity to know them truly as friends because they idolize or worshipo them. I think if you really thought about it you would realize that in one way or another you have made decisions to be more like your heroes without even really knowing them. That's all I'm saying. Christian or not. What's the big deal about me being a Christian and having good ideas? If my avatar had tits and ass you would love me...stupid is as stupid does.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Bicyclist said:
Hammer, meet nail. Actually, I would say that only about half of Christians read the Bible at the completely literal level, rather than at the level of metaphorical and revelatory stories. And Noah's Ark is shared by Christians and Jews. Not to say that these scriptures are completely true or completely false; that is not their importance. They are not meant to be historically accurate, but theologically true (i.e. the idea that the earth wasn't created in 6 days, but that does not change the fact that God created us and loves us). The inclusion/exclusion of not just passages but entire sections of the Bible prove the errancy of the Bible; though the truth of the stories hold up to time. Heath, aren't we searching for truth rather than fact?

Back on topic, I would much rather follow or admire someone for their accomplishments and actions rather than their beliefs. For example, I just went to the gay pride parade in Seattle. After arguing with the "God Hates Fags" protestors, I realized that I would rather be associated with a loving gay community than a hateful and hyprocritical Christian community, if that were the choice. Even if I have beliefs more in common with the Christians who were protesting, they are not fruitful.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
kinghami3 said:
Actually, I would say that only about half of Christians read the Bible at the completely literal level, rather than at the level of metaphorical and revelatory stories.
That's still a whole lot of idiots.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Kinghami-Truth is more relevant than fact yes, but in the perfect world they are one and the same. As for your opinions on the Word, I disagree and would love to have a discussion via phone or in person about that. Care to swap numbers? PM me.

The Bible is not completely literal and it is not completely metaphorical. tsk,tsk