Quantcast

Thoughts on People

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
If you don't care about influencing others why are you trying so hard to influence me? If you want others to not affect your life negatively then why can't you show the same respect? And when did it become a good idea to put others down for sharing their thoughts? .
I'm an evolved monkey.

So are you .

What do you think of that?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Heath,
Can you drop the persecution complex? That's also cliche. You live in a country that is about 80% Xtian. You are not a minority. You are not oppressed. Quit trying to be a martyr.

As for your topic, I certainly thought it was you broaching religion. If not, then the topic was so vanilla that you should be happy that it got this many replies. It should have been relegated to the back pages of ignoredom for being boring.

And, one last thing. Simply because someone doesn't agree on your view of the world/religion/god doesn't mean that they either hate you, hate your ideas, or hate in general. I know it is tough for you to accept this, but there are those of us who simply don't follow your god and see no reason to believe. You may have been convinced, but we are not. If one attacks your ideas of god, that doesn't necessarily mean they are attacking you.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Changleen said:
That's still a whole lot of idiots.
Yeah, but a lot of those are persecuted Christians in places like China or Saudi Arabia, with little education but a committment to their religion that demands my respect and admiration.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
Kidwoo, why don't we meet? Go ride together? I'll be in Auburn tomorrow doing shuttles with a few guys from Mikes Bikes. We'll be there around 9AM. Should be fun.

I work weekdays. Auburn in summer is too hot.

I'll be in mammoth the first weekend in august. Mountain and skatepark.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Heath Sherratt said:
I have a succinct description of society (american at least, but I believe others as well, if not all.) We as a people, would rather follow people because they are cool rather than because of what they believe in.

Propps for bringing somthing as this up!
But man this is way to heavy for a forum. This is something you discuss over a doobie.

"Truth is love, beauty, even light. None of these can be facts, or proven scientifically, yet you live for and by these things. therefore truth is more relevant than fact."
Beautifully said but I belive one has to experience that to be able to grasp the content.

Back to the original Q:
A lot of factors play in here;
INSECURITIES as previously mentioned,
contious and subcontious FEARS,
PEOPLE ARE LOST (subcontiously) and want to "fit in" ,
our role models used to be the village elders and God, now we're beeing fed to follow celebreties.
etc.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Kidwoo, I would love to ride mammoth with you. I have only been there to race nationals and loved it. It may be difficult for me to get there this year though but I'll stay in touch. How about Downieville? Will you be at the classic?

Rockwool, thanks for the reply. I have been thinking a lot about this forum and the way the gang mentality sets in and the usage of verbiage become uniform. I.E. "vanilla", "cliche", etc. I also noticed that the discussion does not become about the original topic or even about whether or not to believe in God but about who's smarter and that simply does not excite me. I find that the reasons the discussions become so abusive and calous on the internet is because people use the illusion of strength to portray strength. Example, I don't think any one of these people here who have bashed me for being christian would act this way to my face in a real setting. It's simply out of character for even the most corrupt of characters. People don't just judge and fight for such petty things in real life. I witness the exact opposite in real ife. People are very concious of how they will be percieved and about the social dynamics of being an instigator or a "hater" and don't want to be labelled such. but here on the internet it is almost the norm and actually encouraged. "Cliche" if you will ;). The only p[lace i found such disregard for other opinions and accountability was jail, and even in there most of the population was civil. Those who acted out of line were put in lockdown or in the gladiator cells were fighting was almost promoted to eliminate the problems. Sad to see and even sadder to know that people want to remain detached from their reality.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Man you can express your selfe real well...I have to look some words up in the dictionary, then marinate on what you said, before I can get back to you... =)

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Heath Sherratt said:
Rockwool, thanks for the reply. I have been thinking a lot about this forum and the way the gang mentality sets in and the usage of verbiage become uniform. I.E. "vanilla", "cliche", etc. I also noticed that the discussion does not become about the original topic or even about whether or not to believe in God but about who's smarter and that simply does not excite me. I find that the reasons the discussions become so abusive and calous on the internet is because people use the illusion of strength to portray strength. Example, I don't think any one of these people here who have bashed me for being christian would act this way to my face in a real setting. It's simply out of character for even the most corrupt of characters. People don't just judge and fight for such petty things in real life. I witness the exact opposite in real ife. People are very concious of how they will be percieved and about the social dynamics of being an instigator or a "hater" and don't want to be labelled such. but here on the internet it is almost the norm and actually encouraged. "Cliche" if you will ;). The only p[lace i found such disregard for other opinions and accountability was jail, and even in there most of the population was civil. Those who acted out of line were put in lockdown or in the gladiator cells were fighting was almost promoted to eliminate the problems. Sad to see and even sadder to know that people want to remain detached from their reality.
I, for one, am not bashing you for being Xtian (and most others are not as well.) Of course, you automatically think that people must be bashing you, however. Ever stop to think that maybe there isn't some mob mentality, and that people aren't out to get you? Like I said, stop trying to play the martyr. Does Andyman get the same treatment? No. I wonder why that is. He's obviously Xtian and outspoken about it, so why don't we disrespect him for being Xtian?

For the record, I don't care what opinions you hold. You are free to hold them. It's when you make lame attempts to flaunt them in our faces or to proselytize that I draw the line, as do many others on this board. It's fine to believe in god, but that doesn't mean that all of us have to as well.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Heath Sherratt said:
Dunno where to start but to say that conversation over the net leaves a lot for personal interpretation. Many times on the MSN, have things been missunderstood by me or the friend that i was chatting to ..
Maybe we should make an effort to serve our posts withe extra humbleness to avoid missinterpretations.

Gang mentality, usage of verbiage, disregard of other opinions and people portraying them selves as something they're not, is unfortunally something not unique to forums.
To wich extent this has been used in this thread i can't say without rereading it (and that won't happen, it's too damn long and the wheather is at a Swedish summer best...)

"Sad to see and even sadder to know that people want to remain detached from their reality".
Reality is as it is with TRUTH, once you see it, the hardest thing to do is to accept it.
An equally hard thing to do is to speak out about it.
When you see the truth, you see the light and that is love. Thats when you're free.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
A lot of interesting things have been said in this thread and i'd love to get back to them.
Last few pages have derailed.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Heath Sherratt said:
I find that the reasons the discussions become so abusive and calous on the internet is because people use the illusion of strength to portray strength. Example, I don't think any one of these people here who have bashed me for being christian would act this way to my face in a real setting.
The beauty of the internet is that you can express your TRUE feelings, and not be hampered by whatever social situations. I think that's one of the downsides to face to face communication. People are too worried about confrontation to express their TRUE feelings. Now, that being said, there is some value in tact, but tact is just like being PC or chicks that wear makeup. It's not a true representation. If you WANT true representation of thought, this is a good place to get it.

Oh, and no one is bashing you for being a christian, it's the way you're going about it.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Burley, if you read the thread, I never went about anything.
I would like to apologize though, for the church and their misrepresentation of Christ. We as the church have done a horrible job of bringing peace and love. We have swayed from walking with Him in His divine knowledge and grace and have turned a relational thing into rules and conformities. There is no excuse. The crusades, the war on terror, the lack of helping the people in our own neighborhoods, feeding the needy, helping the homeless and bringing hope and love to those who need it. I can only say for all of that I am sorry. I am sorry if I have offended anyone in this forum. I only want to share what God has done in my life with the world. I try my best to communicate that Jesus is the most loving, faithful, patient God. I am just me and have failed to represent that at times in my life, again, for that I am sorry. I hope you will take this seriously and know that I am here to love people and to speak the truth. Sometimes grace must wound before it heals...It was Flannery O'Connor who said that "grace must wound before it heals." Her words help me to separate what is most true about life from the things we want to be true. We want life to be painless. True grace is a hard sell because in order for the human heart to understand forgiveness and love, it must first experience darkness and isolation. A life lived under the rule of grace is a life of need which allows us to receive and appreciate the gift of the giver of grace. This is why we will always have the poor with us; this is why God will not allow us to ignore injustice; this is why we are called to a life we cannot handle alone, which can and will break us in the effort to live it -- because grace must wound before it heals". -- Justin McRoberts

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Rockwool-have you seen the Matrix? I love the parellells in that movie with what you just said. Accepting the truth and then living in it. Taking the red pill and following the rabbit down the hole. It's so hard to do. I remember the day of my rebirth as clear as a bell. Nov.26th 1997. My eyes were opened. I saw things for how they really are. I will forever be grateful. Even in these times of difficulty, there is no going back now, no re-assimilation in to the matrix.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Heath Sherratt said:
Burley, if you read the thread, I never went about anything....
I only want to share what God has done in my life with the world. I try my best to communicate that Jesus is the most loving, faithful, patient God....<snipped to take out other prosyletizing>
Need I point out anymore?

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Heath Sherratt said:
Rockwool-have you seen the Matrix? I love the parellells in that movie with what you just said. Accepting the truth and then living in it. Taking the red pill and following the rabbit down the hole. It's so hard to do. I remember the day of my rebirth as clear as a bell. Nov.26th 1997. My eyes were opened. I saw things for how they really are. I will forever be grateful. Even in these times of difficulty, there is no going back now, no re-assimilation in to the matrix.
I feel what you're saying. Took the red pill and changed my ways. Don't want to go back to a state of unkown "blissfull" ignorance again even if i had the chance to relive that moment. That moment changed my pesimistic look of the world and where we are heading to an optimistic. We're heading towards enlightment, the bad guys loose more power for every year and they know it.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Silver said:
Grace must wound before it heals?

Wtf...that's like someone saying, "I beat my wife so I can kiss her bruises better."

No man, what he is saying is that truth is some times so hard to accept because it hurts us to realise that what we thought was true, was actually lies. When you have accepted the truth for what it really is, you will begin on a path towards healing and strenght greater that before.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Old Man G Funk said:
Need I point out anymore?
I haven't spent enouogh time frequently on this forum to follow your discussions. But it's obvious that Heath has been trying to share his experiances with you lot.
It's unfortunate that some have come to take his actions for trying to persuade you into becoming a christian (or something).
What he probably has been doing is sharing. For someone who has had a "rebirth" and not to share his experiances, would in my eyes be be very strange, but more importantly a waste of knowledge.
Some of you have in this thread said that you haven't "persecuted" Heath for beeing a christian and that was entirely a wrongful perception from his side. Maybe, some have in return percived Heaths intentions a bit to strong.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
kidwoo said:
Graceland is kind of the same way. You have to pay like $15 at first but then you get shown the real path to rock n' roll. I think it ends on a toilet though.
You've gotta take that tour! :)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Heath Sherratt said:
I only want to share what God has done in my life with the world. I try my best to communicate that Jesus is the most loving, faithful, patient God.<snip>
Ya know I'm pretty sure one of the (few) rules in the Political debate forum is no preaching........

Politics & World News (8 Viewing)
Religious issues permitted here so long as they apply to current political issues. Preaching not allowed.
:nopity: :clue:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
kidwoo said:
Let's debate mmike.

mmike sucks!!!
In the Mible it reads...

"MMike, the LORD, said unto thee, 'thou hast been smitten by mine mighty smiter,' and it came to pass that Woo came up from the city which was known as Nazareth and brought forth a child in swaddling Tommy Hilfiger"

Mike 2:14

Thus MMike does not suck, as this 2500 year old text, which happens to have been manhandled and rewritten by everyone and their pet goat, plainly states.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
rockwool said:
No man, what he is saying is that truth is some times so hard to accept because it hurts us to realise that what we thought was true, was actually lies. When you have accepted the truth for what it really is, you will begin on a path towards healing and strenght greater that before.
:banghead:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BuddhaRoadkill said:
rockwool said:
rockwool
:banghead:
:stupid:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
rockwool said:
I haven't spent enouogh time frequently on this forum to follow your discussions. But it's obvious that Heath has been trying to share his experiances with you lot.
It's unfortunate that some have come to take his actions for trying to persuade you into becoming a christian (or something).
What he probably has been doing is sharing. For someone who has had a "rebirth" and not to share his experiances, would in my eyes be be very strange, but more importantly a waste of knowledge.
Some of you have in this thread said that you haven't "persecuted" Heath for beeing a christian and that was entirely a wrongful perception from his side. Maybe, some have in return percived Heaths intentions a bit to strong.
Heath is here to proselytize, which is fine so long as it is asked for. Unsolicited proselytizing, however, is what we are getting, and it's why we give him a hard time. If his experiences were prevalent to an on-going discussion, that would be one thing, and from time to time we do ask what the opinions of believers are on certain things. To go about it the way he has, however, in obfuscating his objectives and trying to act like he just wanted to start an innocent discussion rubs people the wrong way, especially when it is so transparent.

Also, Heath regularly complains about being persecuted for being Xtian even though it isn't true. You aren't allowed to disagree with him on anything, else you are persecuting him for being Xtian. It's sad.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Silver said:
Grace must wound before it heals?

Wtf...that's like someone saying, "I beat my wife so I can kiss her bruises better."
Pimpin' 101, lesson 4: If you don't hit a woman, she don't think you care.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
blue said:
In the Mible it reads...

"MMike, the LORD, said unto thee, 'thou hast been smitten by mine mighty smiter,' and it came to pass that Woo came up from the city which was known as Nazareth and brought forth a child in swaddling Tommy Hilfiger"

Mike 2:14

Thus MMike does not suck, as this 2500 year old text, which happens to have been manhandled and rewritten by everyone and their pet goat, plainly states.

The error in my ways is apparent.

hilfiger? wtf???

Everyone come over for ambrosia salad and punch so we can discuss it.