Quantcast

Thoughts on secondary wheelsets?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
TPU or thermoplastic urethane tubes is rather old news. Panaracer did them ca. 1995-2000, can't remember the name. Schwalbe did an announcement a few years ago but stopped them. They were called Aerothan.

They are rather problematic because they are not very elastic. You have to find the absolute right dimension for a specific tire. Even manufacturing tolerances are often too much. Is the tube too small, it will burst, is it too big, it will crease (hope that's the right term) and wear down very fast. Good luck with the variations in tire sizing between different manufacturers.
A puncture on the other hand can be fixed easily, simply use a cyanacrylate glue/adhesive.
I wore FOSS urethane tubes for a while, before trying ghetto tubeless and never looking back. Even when they are light, can be patched by just heating them with a cigarette lighter, loose air at a much lower rate than butyl/rubber tubes when punctured, and resist pinch flatting pretty well, they stretch A LOT when you inflate them out of the tire to identify small punctures. And then they get wrinkly when you put them back in the tire. I ended up throwing them away after I pinched one between the rim and the tire bead because of said wrinkling.