Quantcast

Thoughts on the new Sram GX Eagle drivetrain? :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
450g cassette...yeesh.

my opinion on eagle remains the same. if you need that much range, you need to run a front derailleur.

If I ever get back to riding more often, I want to grab a SRAM 11sp cassette as their weight is truly phenomenal. I still prefer shimano shifting though.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
450g cassette...yeesh.

my opinion on eagle remains the same. if you need that much range, you need to run a front derailleur.

If I ever get back to riding more often, I want to grab a SRAM 11sp cassette as their weight is truly phenomenal. I still prefer shimano shifting though.
Fd will never be as chain-drop-free as a single ring with a guide! Also the cockpit becomes pretty busy with both a front shifter and a dropper-remote. And then there's the funny fact about repeated ratios on a 2x-drivetrains...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm stoked that there are tons of good beers available in cans now. Much better for carrying on trail.

SPD pedals work great for opening bottles though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
oh the irony of a fatbike tire named "b nimble . . ."
Meh, was 26 out of 98 on a 40 mile gravel grinder a few weeks back on it. I know those bastards were drafting behind me, so I intentionally took the crazy loose inside-berms on the turns. To see so many dinky cross bikes go behind me was worth it.

It's my training bike anyway. Just stand up and sprint and nothing will feel hard on race day on a normal bike.

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Hmmm, if the big news is GX Eagle, what would happen to X1? I understand they went straight to GX level in order to reduce the price, but what would happen to X1? Is it staying 11-speed, or is it going the 12 ratios-route as well?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The whole XD driver thing turned me off of SRAM.

I'd like a hair more range than my 30 11/42 provides, but only on pavement, and I don't really give a shit how fast I'm going on pavement, especially if I have to pedal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know, now I can't pry my cassette off with a metal tire lever anymore...

Sep 11, 2015
Hmmm, if the big news is GX Eagle, what would happen to X1? I understand they went straight to GX level in order to reduce the price, but what would happen to X1? Is it staying 11-speed, or is it going the 12 ratios-route as well?
X1 goes to 8-speed-only and gets a permanent E attached to the front of it, is my guess.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We must realize that these were the days when you could still buy non-E-assist drivetrains. Buy all the 11 and 12 speed human-pedal parts you can. In the future, no one will pedal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The whole XD driver thing turned me off of SRAM.

I'd like a hair more range than my 30 11/42 provides, but only on pavement, and I don't really give a shit how fast I'm going on pavement, especially if I have to pedal.
out of curiosity, why? i rarely if ever need a 10t cog, but now that's it an accepted "standard", it's hard to hold a grudge. It's also a better option than shimano's "throw it over the spokes" design.