Quantcast

Thoughts on UFC winner

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wow, I just can't believe that Wayne won it. I really thought Carlin was a shoe-in. He'll end up getting some pretty good sponsors anyway I guess.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I thought Goss would win. I thought he had super smooth style, and went big on a hardtail. He had a few hard collisions that shows he gets back up and tries it again. The crusier section rocked!:D The vote was quite close, and seeing how big Carlin goes(Wade Simmons big), he will surely get picked up.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah that whole UFC thing is a load of lopsided crap. i dont even follow it anymore.

U-you
F-from
C-canada?

stRYder

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
kelowna, BC, Cananadia
:( i dont know what is so impressive about tricks on small obstacles at a boring looking skatepark. Top mtb pros r already doing tailwhips on huge 40 foot doubles. and how can u possibly put 3 crashes in a video of ur best riding, when u only have 60 seconds to spare? it also seemed like on a lot of his best shots , the clip was cut short , as if to hide a bail or loop out on the manual.

Wayne is a rad dude, and a good skatepark rider, i am not hating on him, but i feel carlin got robbed
:rolleyes:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the tech aspect of those tricks is unreal. sure the huge drops ( which i appreciate also) are those things that make you go WTF was that person thinking but i think after spending a couple of years riding both that the skate park style trick take more skill. its just that the penalty for messing up is not that high.

stRYder

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
kelowna, BC, Cananadia
" the tech aspect of those tricks is unreal."
true but mtb pros like berrecloth, leech etc, are already doing those tricks smoother on bigger obstacles! A tailwhip barely landed to flat , looks hardly professional to me, compared to beercloth doing one on a 40 foot set of doubles!(disorder 4) same with the balance manuals on obstacles 6 inches off the ground.

p.s. whats with the edit on the step up to manual, does wayne loop out? if not, then why does is cut away to a barspin off a curb?:confused:

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by stRYder
" the tech aspect of those tricks is unreal."
true but mtb pros like berrecloth, leech etc, are already doing those tricks smoother on bigger obstacles! A tailwhip barely landed to flat , looks hardly professional to me, compared to beercloth doing one on a 40 foot set of doubles!(disorder 4) same with the balance manuals on obstacles 6 inches off the ground.

p.s. whats with the edit on the step up to manual, does wayne loop out? if not, then why does is cut away to a barspin off a curb?:confused:
ok, there are what, maybe 4 or 5 riders that can pull tailwhips with any consistancy? Barrencloth is an exception because he was a bmx pro before he became a mtb pro. Besides barrencloth makes most other mtb pros look silly and even at that there are plenty of bmx pros that could make barrencloths riding look silly. I mean all you have to do is look at chris doyles section in square ones wideawake nightmare. i mean he pulls in the middle of a tight tech rythem section a 360, a 360 tailwhip, and a 360 suicide nohanded barspin. I really hope the rumors that hes been spending time riding one of DK's new hardtails are true becuase that would be fun to watch.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I really think Carlin shoulda won. It's not that Wayne isn't that good, it's just that he is no better than a lot of bmx pros, whereas Carlin was going HUGE. If I remember correctly, Carlin also had a street riding segment. I also thought that Chris Quintero would've made it to the finals. True, he wasn't THE most impressive, but talk about talent!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by biggins
yeah that whole UFC thing is a load of lopsided crap. i dont even follow it anymore.

U-you
F-from
C-canada?
So why don't all the Americans vote for an American? Stop your belly-aching. I agree that there is a lot of pro-Canadian sentiment coming from Canadians, but I've also witnessed a lot of pro-American sentiment on this website.

I voted for non-Canadians the whole time, except for once i think. I didn't even vote in the last round (forgot).

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Fury
So why don't all the Americans vote for an American? Stop your belly-aching. I agree that there is a lot of pro-Canadian sentiment coming from Canadians, but I've also witnessed a lot of pro-American sentiment on this website.

I voted for non-Canadians the whole time, except for once i think. I didn't even vote in the last round (forgot).
I agree. The other thing that is really biased is towards dhillers. Not that that is a bad thing but it happens on both boards. I think it was as close as ist needed to be. I thought both deserved to win as I loved the tech of wayne and the going big and fast of carlin.

I don't think it was robbery, a shoe in or a guarunteed win for Carlin, to think otherwise is pretty naive. I thought it was close. My vote could have gone either way but I vote carlin, NOT because he went big, simply because I thought he had more versatility.

And how many newly sponsored riders can keep up to long time pros. Not many. Comparing wayne or carlin to big time pros just won't work.

I thought it was fair, didn't go my way but heck I haven't voted for the right primeminister in 10 years. :D

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
you guys whine every year about the winner...we have a 10th of your population, im sure you could have EASILY out voted canada...becuase, you know....thats what this is all about, right?

~SGD

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by S.G.D
you guys whine every year about the winner...we have a 10th of your population, im sure you could have EASILY out voted canada...becuase, you know....thats what this is all about, right?

~SGD
I also doubt 5000 people voted off of nsmb. Even with multiple emails the 50 active (being VERY generous here, even with 10 email addresses EACH) users wouldn't make that big a difference in an almost 5500 person vote. Also considering on nsmb 20% of the users did say they voted Carlin...I think the vote was fair.

I think if Carlin and Wayne rode together they could really push each other (would be a fun pair to watch) going huge and fast with tonnes of tech. Man they could do a segment in a movie together ....

Either way congrats to both. Can't wait to see some pro vids from either of these guys.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not suprised Wayne Goss won. Not due to style or going huge but purely due to his attitude that he's just happy riding and being an underdog on a hardtail... I mean who doesn't like an underdog?

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I voted for the Canadian. I just thought he had more skill and style. Going big just doesn't impress me as much as tech skillz. oh and I live in the states :)

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
I too think dunne was robbed ... Wayne is a great rider, but I know a 15 year old who can do everything he did but with more style (with the exception of the tail whip which he almost has). Plus he races junior x dh too. I'm sure that if he beefed up his 36 pound dh bike which he already goes big on, he could go huge. Next year I'm forcing him to enter.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've ridden with Carlin and seen him in action. Mainly on a DH trail though. He is smooth and fast. That section in his teaser video with the rocky areas in Santa Barbara. All our trails are like that.

What was more impressive I thought with Carlin was that he has only been riding MTB bikes for 1.5-2 years. Most people even attempting what he tries and has landed have been riding most of their lives. From our old days of BMX he was always quick. I'm not all that surprised that he picked up on the freeride scene so fast.

If Carlin did what he did on a hardtail as far as that teaser video went he'd won. I think still he should have. He just flows so much better.

I'll put my own 2 personal cents in here. After I thought about it it was kinda obvious that Raceface being Candian wasn't about to sponser some So Cali kid. He lost by a 10% vote difference. If it was a Cali company I imagine Carlin would have won it. I just think there's some sort of politics envolved in the way the outcome was. He won all the other votes buy a good size Margin but lost the finals by a 10% difference in votes? Seems fishy....

Doesn't matter much though. He'll get picked up by someone else and prove that he didn't need to win a comp to become big.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Spunger
I'll put my own 2 personal cents in here. After I thought about it it was kinda obvious that Raceface being Candian wasn't about to sponser some So Cali kid. He lost by a 10% vote difference. If it was a Cali company I imagine Carlin would have won it. I just think there's some sort of politics envolved in the way the outcome was. He won all the other votes buy a good size Margin but lost the finals by a 10% difference in votes? Seems fishy....
So you are saying the voting is rigged by raceface? I doubt it.

Carlin won by huge margins because he was better then everyone in his rounds. (he didn't win by much in the first round) and really ian didn't stand a chance, he is not in the same league as wayne and carlin yet. I don't think being in cali or canada would make a diff. Its just a matter of numbers. Between the shore, whistler and (all those awesome spots between) calgary you have a lot of canadian freeriders online voting...

It would be interesting to see the demographics of their voting pool. hmmm

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by jack123
carlin got robbed. but doesnt he have a kona sponser allready?
Ya, he does.

I'm not sure why you all are complaining. I too wish Carlin had one, but it was done by vote. Goss had some very impressive stuff and he also had the homefield advantage. Nothing really wrong with that. Carlin stepped up and showed what he's got, we'll be seeing plenty from him no matter what.

The Ito

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm a Canadian living in California, as a disclaimer...

I voted for Carlin. It's not that often that I see riding that makes me sit straight up and go "Holy Sh!t!" I've never been one for tricks either, never liked it skiing, still don't like it biking. I'll vote for fast and smooth and big every time.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by Roasted
So you are saying the voting is rigged by raceface? I doubt it.
No not rigged by Raceface. I think more or less more Canidans wanted it to stay Canidan. Raceface being the sponsor just seems like it gave the Canidan's competing a perk.

Demographics would be good if they showed it. Just so you could see if at all if votes were biased on region. It's always a vote though so whatever, all done and said it is assumed fair.

The Moreno Valley gap he did that Bender failed on and Wade Simmons nailed was probably one of the most impressive things I've seen. Not many 20-21 year olds would look at that and think with their ability they could nail it. I was sold just seeing that alone the skate park stuff etc...

He'll get picked up by someone. It'll be interesting to see who.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Originally posted by Hrelp
I'm not suprised Wayne Goss won. Not due to style or going huge but purely due to his attitude that he's just happy riding and being an underdog on a hardtail... I mean who doesn't like an underdog?
i dont see how hes an underdog just because hes on a hardtail.....its his choice

i think carlin should have won too, but whatever. theyre both better than me, so i cant be critiquing theyre riding skills/styles/balls.

by the way, whoever started this thread (sorry i forgot your name), im goin to WPI next year, hows the bike team/club there? they do any freeriding or downhilling?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by jack123
carlin got robbed. but doesnt he have a kona sponser allready?
no, Kona has no contract w/ Carlin, they have helped him get bikes for a great deal though, but nothing official. I agree about the robbery!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I don't suspect any foul play at all on behalf of Race Face. But I kind of think MTB forums should closely monitor threads on the UFC and if anyone posts negative or biased information, that person should be suspended from posting until the comp. is over. That would help prevent swaying of opinions, which on NSMB, I feel had a profound effect. It really is about Canada V. USA but only because Canadians take freeriding more seriously in general. They seem to understand what a great opportunity this comp. is. It seems like americans aren't concerned with it in general, I have asked lots of people out on the trails recently and at Sea Otter if they were following the UFC and lots of them had no idea what I was talking about. Once Americans catch on in a few years the comp. will be more balanced, until then I just feel bad for talented Americans that enter anyway.

Carlin spoke to lots of big name companies at Sea Otter and he is already wearing Smith goggles/glasses, riding Maxxis tires, and the boys at E13 dialed him in on a SRS guide for his Stab Primo, no one has stepped up with monitary support as of yet, but there has been a lot of interest expressed by Manitou, Mavic, Kona, and even Derek Westerlund (NWD vids) So in time Carlin will hopefully be doing well. It would have been nice to have $25K to finance your future exposure, but in time we will see who truly performs and becomes a freeride personality. I know how much talent Carlin has and also how dedicated to the freeride movement he is, He will shine!

FWIW he missed 1st by 0.4 of a second in expert DH, so racing is always an option. and out of over 6000 votes he lost by 5%, so that's only 300 votes difference.

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
agreed. i dont see how a great all around rider and big time hucker(carlin) could of possibly be beaten by "big wheel bmxer"(wayne). dont get me wrong wayne is a great rider, but to me it seems a ultimate freerider would be a rider who does a little bit of everything. not just skatepark and dj's.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Anybody who is upset should send an email to race face and tell them that you want to see Carlin riding their equipment. Maybe that can help him get something out of this?

send comments here:

components@raceface.com

If you email them, be mature and responsible please! Don't say he was robbed or anything just express your dissapointment in the final vote.

lets make some tasty lemonade!!!!!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
While i truely beleive this is one of the better forums on the web, its threads like this that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with some of you.

Dunne lost. THats it. I voted DUnne as well, as i like the smooth stuff, but he lost. Big deal. Get over it.

Theres no canadian consipracy. NSMB didn't sway anything. Have a conversation with some of the people on the other forums, see if they are capable of a coherent rational thought, then tell me they rigged it.

Go ride your bikes.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
While i truely beleive this is one of the better forums on the web, its threads like this that make me wonder what the hell is wrong with some of you.

Dunne lost. THats it. I voted DUnne as well, as i like the smooth stuff, but he lost. Big deal. Get over it.

Theres no canadian consipracy. NSMB didn't sway anything. Have a conversation with some of the people on the other forums, see if they are capable of a coherent rational thought, then tell me they rigged it.

Go ride your bikes.
Blame Canada ;)

BTW, I hate the Habs

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by Spunger
I've ridden with Carlin and seen him in action. Mainly on a DH trail though. He is smooth and fast. That section in his teaser video with the rocky areas in Santa Barbara. All our trails are like that.

What was more impressive I thought with Carlin was that he has only been riding MTB bikes for 1.5-2 years. Most people even attempting what he tries and has landed have been riding most of their lives. From our old days of BMX he was always quick. I'm not all that surprised that he picked up on the freeride scene so fast.
Didn't that guy ride motocross before giving that up after seeing a few friends die from it?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by MMike
AHAHAHA!!! SUCK ON IT!!! WOOHOO!!!!
You guys got lucky that game. That is all I have to say and you would be insane to disagree.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver

Go ride your bikes.

thank you.

and, habs own. explain how they got luckey?

~SGD

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

Go ride your bikes.
You are correct that Dunne lost, but to say that a bunch of negative comments on other boards didn't sway anything is assuming just as much as anyone here ever assumed. And to say they are all capable of coherent and rational thought is down right ridiculous and totally presumptuous. Most of them are capable of that, but a good number are not. It is very possible that good number is more than the few hundred vote difference between Wayne and Carlin. Could you make the best choices when you were 12-17yo? I think what you are trying to say though is correct, and that is that whether all or most of us agree, it is that this was a vote, not an executive decision and therefore the outcome is what it is PERIOD. I think some people just feel it is reminiscent of the last presidential election where it was really close and not exactly "fair" and to be dead honest I agree with those people. I love Canada and most of the Canadians I have ever met, but I think there is a large influence (voting pool) from teenage "freeriders" in the UFC and they don't really know what they're voting on. Or how it can affect a persons life. Carlins skills take a lifetime to hone, he can race and freeride with the best of them, and if he puts his mind to it he can learn a trick pretty quick. I just don't feel like Wayne is quite as pro caliber as Carlin period. It's nothing against Wayne, but Bearclaw and Chase and Duncan are all pulling his moves way bigger and cleaner, where as Carlin is doing the same stuff as Simmons and Allen (same exact gaps) arguably smoother than they did. To me that is what counts but I got my vote and I was the minority, albeit barely a minority. Carlin will do just fine in the long run, But $25K would have gone a long way right now...