Quantcast

Thoughts on UFC winner

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I think carlin got robbed he definetely impressed me more and was more enjoyeable to watch. He was going fast and big through everything.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Originally posted by punkassean
You are correct that Dunne lost, but to say that a bunch of negative comments on other boards didn't sway anything is assuming just as much as anyone here ever assumed. And to say they are all capable of coherent and rational thought is down right ridiculous and totally presumptuous. Most of them are capable of that, but a good number are not. It is very possible that good number is more than the few hundred vote difference between Wayne and Carlin. Could you make the best choices when you were 12-17yo? I think what you are trying to say though is correct, and that is that whether all or most of us agree, it is that this was a vote, not an executive decision and therefore the outcome is what it is PERIOD. I think some people just feel it is reminiscent of the last presidential election where it was really close and not exactly "fair" and to be dead honest I agree with those people. I love Canada and most of the Canadians I have ever met, but I think there is a large influence (voting pool) from teenage "freeriders" in the UFC and they don't really know what they're voting on. Or how it can affect a persons life. Carlins skills take a lifetime to hone, he can race and freeride with the best of them, and if he puts his mind to it he can learn a trick pretty quick. I just don't feel like Wayne is quite as pro caliber as Carlin period. It's nothing against Wayne, but Bearclaw and Chase and Duncan are all pulling his moves way bigger and cleaner, where as Carlin is doing the same stuff as Simmons and Allen (same exact gaps) arguably smoother than they did. To me that is what counts but I got my vote and I was the minority, albeit barely a minority. Carlin will do just fine in the long run, But $25K would have gone a long way right now...
If you actually read what i wrote, you would see that i alluded to the fact that they COULDN"T use thier little brains to come up with a conspiracy.

Fact still remains, Dunne lost! Its a vote, it didn't go the way you wanted, tough titty! What, because the possiblity that a bunch of younger riders voted for the canadian the whole contest should be overturned? Gimme a break.

Quit your granny whining and go ride your bike. This was a contest to be decided by the people, and the people made thier choice clear.

I can't beleive i even bothered replying to this. :think:

stRYder

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
kelowna, BC, Cananadia
we will see where either of theses guys is in two years!

Carlin is big time, already. Wayne will have to learn how to ride a squish-bike, it will be interesting to see these guys progress over the next few years!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
If you actually read what i wrote, you would see that i alluded to the fact that they COULDN"T use thier little brains to come up with a conspiracy.

Fact still remains, Dunne lost! Its a vote, it didn't go the way you wanted, tough titty! What, because the possiblity that a bunch of younger riders voted for the canadian the whole contest should be overturned? Gimme a break.

Quit your granny whining and go ride your bike. This was a contest to be decided by the people, and the people made thier choice clear.

I can't beleive i even bothered replying to this. :think:
Your original statement was ambiguos and it was therefore hard to tell what you were trying to say. It sounded to me like you were trying to defend the members of other boards not rag on them. I never once insinuated the vote should be overturned? In fact I reiterated that it was a vote and "it is what it is".

You are an angry little person who could benefit greatly from therapy. I think it is you sir, who needs to go for a bike ride.

I can't believe you even bother getting out of bed in the morning....:rolleyes:

Take your negativity elsewhere:dead:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by stRYder
we will see where either of theses guys is in two years!

Carlin is big time, already. Wayne will have to learn how to ride a squish-bike, it will be interesting to see these guys progress over the next few years!
Why? Can't he go the way of chase?....there is a market for trick/street riders...

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Alright, I'm doing this against my better judgement, but here goes!

Those of you who think a 60 second video is indicative of ALL a rider's skills need to put down the crack pipe! Wayne is one of the most well rounded riders I've ever had the pleasure to ride with. He's fast, goes big and can bust a move on the street and in the park as well. To think he's one dimensional is just plain stupid. Same goes for Carlin, Bender too believe it or not.

Any video will show you some of what a rider's capable of, but it'll also show you what the video editor/producer wants you to see.

It was voted on by the people, take that at face value, that's what democracy's all about friends!

Oh yeah!

Borders suck - All of them!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
He can go the way of Chase but I think what stRYder meant was there is already a Chase and street riding has a limited audience, it appeals to people who do it and a there are limited other people who appreciate it which don't number anywhere near as high as the people who like to watch huge gaps and super high speed moves. People generally like to see someones life on the line. To the average joe street/trials can look like a novelty. Look at Flatland BMX, although very very hard it is way under appreciated even by fellow BMXers. But the fact that a tech skills rider won the UFC shows that at least the MTB audience is ready for more street I guess. I really think the future is a combination of the two tech big moves. That will narrow down the field a lot and really make next years UFC more interesting. Suicide no hander to X-up to one footed flatty over a 40' road gap...:cool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I voted for Goss and was glad to see him win.

Carlin's video was rad and it's clear he goes big. But I was put off by all the moto stuff (especially moto stuff with no gear), and don't think he showed much creativity. I'm sure he'd be a great bro but less sure I would want him representing a company of mine. A lot of people I talked to thought they could pull many of Carlin's moves IF (and that's a big if) they had the balls, whereas most don't think they could pull some of Wayne's tech moves no matter how much they practiced. Also, don't forget the Goss's video shows some big drops too.

From the videos, Goss appears to be a more complete rider with more potential to represent a sponsor in different events. I'm psyched for him and hope Race Face is too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by OGRipper
I voted for Goss and was glad to see him win.

Carlin's video was rad and it's clear he goes big. But I was put off by all the moto stuff (especially moto stuff with no gear), and don't think he showed much creativity. I'm sure he'd be a great bro but less sure I would want him representing a company of mine. A lot of people I talked to thought they could pull many of Carlin's moves IF (and that's a big if) they had the balls, whereas most don't think they could pull some of Wayne's tech moves no matter how much they practiced. Also, don't forget the Goss's video shows some big drops too.

From the videos, Goss appears to be a more complete rider with more potential to represent a sponsor in different events. I'm psyched for him and hope Race Face is too.
What moto stuff with no gear??? I hope you don't mean the tree ride to fakie on his MTB in the park? Any clip of him actually risking anything he was wearing his armor and helmet.

Why does that put you off? are people supposed to be one dimensional and only like non-motorized bikes? Lopes, Palmer, Peat and Cedric ride moto, who cares???

How can your friends "know" they can pull off cliffs if they had balls, when they don't have the balls to find out??? you're right that is a very big if! pure speculation. It takes more than balls, you need strength and skill to come out clean.

Carlin is a "great bro" and he knows how to represent companies, he was a pro road racer for Honda.

Balance is part natural ability but mostly tons of practice and desire, your bros could do Waynes or anybody elses moves if that's really what they wanted to do? It sounds like what they really want to be are monday morning quarterbacks.

I think Wayne has a good personality and he needs this more than Carlin, Carlin already hooked up with Race Face, Smith, Maxxis and E13 and is also talking with various other companies to figure out what's best for his career, he can pretty much go where ever he wants to from here. Where as Wayne would have had a harder time getting sponsors in a market flooded with lots of talent. Wayne rips but so do a lot of guys. Wayne is nice but so is Carlin, And if you ask Bryson Martin or any other CEO of a big bike co. they will tell you talent and marketability is more important than percieved attitude, Nobody thinks Gracia or Peat are jerks because they occasionally drink. In fact people like it, they can relate to it. It's a mute point really, like stRYder said, we'll se who's dominating over the next few years...You can't blame some of Carlins friends for being a little bit dissapointed with the outcome. This whole thing isn't about dissing Wayne it is about being bummed that Carlin lost when some of us feel he was arguably equally if not better suited for the job at hand, but that is just our (minority) opinion. lets all return to our regularly scheduled programming now, the UFC III is over and it's time to move on. Good luck Wayne and Carlin I hope to see yo both in NWD IV!!!

CASE CLOSED:D