Quantcast

Thunder mountain

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
...is legit.

Headed up Sunday to ride it for the first time. Fantastic jump trail and some decent DH flow as well. Too easy is one of the hardest trails I've ridden, while the schist adds in a little more flow. Best trails is back of the shack to jake's to thunder cliffs to the gronk. Good mix of dirt and jumps.

That's all!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
agreed 100%

went there about a month ago and the gronk was half finished and the 2nd jump trail was still being built and the dh trail was slicker than snot

so
fun!!!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
...is legit.

Headed up Sunday to ride it for the first time. Fantastic jump trail and some decent DH flow as well. Too easy is one of the hardest trails I've ridden, while the schist adds in a little more flow. Best trails is back of the shack to jake's to thunder cliffs to the gronk. Good mix of dirt and jumps.

That's all!
Shit. I was there all day with a big crew. How the hell did we miss you? Back of the shack to thunder cliffs to Gronk is rad. Same start to Billy Badger is awesome too. The two new trails are burning in good too. Wine Tree is loamy and long. Good trail for a trenduro bike, but really fun on a DH sled too. Too Easy is steep and straight down the mountain to the left of the lift as you're going up. Spits you out at the bottom of the Schist. Which is also really fun. It's going to make for a carnage filled race in September I'd have to say. Steep and loose. They're adding more trails this year, and more next year.
I rode Windham Friday, and their jump trail is bananas. Longer and more jumps than Gronk. A touch more lip on all of the jumps, no pedaling, loooong and so fun. The ESC course is pretty gnarly, loose and fast. Not very steep, so it doesn't have to switch back and forth across the hill like a lot of the trails at Thunder. The other blue trail was meh. If they add some more trails there, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Oh, and their lift is detachable. Thunders is painfully slow unfortunately.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Shit. I was there all day with a big crew. How the hell did we miss you? Back of the shack to thunder cliffs to Gronk is rad. Same start to Billy Badger is awesome too. The two new trails are burning in good too. Wine Tree is loamy and long. Good trail for a trenduro bike, but really fun on a DH sled too. Too Easy is steep and straight down the mountain to the left of the lift as you're going up. Spits you out at the bottom of the Schist. Which is also really fun. It's going to make for a carnage filled race in September I'd have to say. Steep and loose. They're adding more trails this year, and more next year.
I rode Windham Friday, and their jump trail is bananas. Longer and more jumps than Gronk. A touch more lip on all of the jumps, no pedaling, loooong and so fun. The ESC course is pretty gnarly, loose and fast. Not very steep, so it doesn't have to switch back and forth across the hill like a lot of the trails at Thunder. The other blue trail was meh. If they add some more trails there, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Oh, and their lift is detachable. Thunders is painfully slow unfortunately.

lmao Too Easy GoPro footage will never be showed. slide out like 10 times ( i blame it on the fresh trail and rain the night before lol :banana: )

theres alot of us monkeys around... we should meet up at a certain mountain and shred it all day before the seasons over

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thunder's lift is the biggest setback. It runs slow and it's not detachable. I hope they crank it up, but I think they need to sort out bike unloading issues first. Seems to be more difficult to load bikes at thunder than bromont/highland/elsewhere.

I was hoping I would run into you guys but our timing must have just been off. I was there 1030-3.

I really liked the jump line, it's perfect to ride without brakes, and it's the first jump line where i was instantly comfortable in the air. The only thing I look forward to is more blue square and single black DH trails. I love the quality and the variety, but that's my shit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I attribute it to the teething process. They're probably used to doing it that way for ski lifts. I think it will become a legitimate problem as the place gets busier, but right now it's not too bad, just really packs up when people start going.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Next time any of yous guyz are at Thunder come find me down in the bikeshop in the bowels of the lodge for RUNS and/or shimz adjustment. Also give me a shout if you have friends that might need to rent, as I only have 40 rental bikes, and they've been selling out before mid day.

We've been averaging a hundred+ riders on weekend days so far... has me pretty dang busy fixing broken crap, but I still manage to get out for a half dozen runs or so every day.

Yeah, our lift IS slow, it's also running at the max summer speed as allowed by MA state law at the moment. We just installed that lift last summer, it was a few million dollars cheaper than a detachable quad(money better spent paying the Gravity Logic guys to stick around full time for two more years, right?), and to put stuff in perspective, our lift ride is only 3 minutes longer than Highland.

-mickey

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, our lift IS slow, it's also running at the max summer speed as allowed by MA state law at the moment. We just installed that lift last summer, it was a few million dollars cheaper than a detachable quad(money better spent paying the Gravity Logic guys to stick around full time for two more years, right?)
valuable perspective/insight.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah, our lift IS slow, it's also running at the max summer speed as allowed by MA state law at the moment. We just installed that lift last summer, it was a few million dollars cheaper than a detachable quad(money better spent paying the Gravity Logic guys to stick around full time for two more years, right?), and to put stuff in perspective, our lift ride is only 3 minutes longer than Highland.
And the GL guys did a great job! Now, what's up with that potato chip at the bottom? It feels like someone changed his mind in the middle of construction. ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
were you working the lift on sunday, mickey? there was a liftie at the top that I recognized, but couldn't put my finger on it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
We have a couple of 24" Specialized Status Groms that are good for the bigger little kids. Hopefully we'll get some 20" bikes for next year, we have a couple of shredders on 20" already.
As far as the ESC race:
I've pitched the idea for Pro/Cat1 and some Cat 2 classes on Schist on Sunday and then a Pro/AM race on Gronk Saturday that might cater to a slightly different crowd.

We'll be hosting a collegiate race in October, will likely end up being some sort of perverted enduro.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Next time any of yous guyz are at Thunder come find me down in the bikeshop in the bowels of the lodge for RUNS and/or shimz adjustment. Also give me a shout if you have friends that might need to rent, as I only have 40 rental bikes, and they've been selling out before mid day.

(money better spent paying the Gravity Logic guys to stick around full time for two more years, right?), and to put stuff in perspective, our lift ride is only 3 minutes longer than Highland.

-mickey

awesome to know dude! you guys are gunu friggen blow up ( in a good way lol ) first couple weekends were so much fun.
def will be snagging a rental or two some weekend... we got one of our buddies hooked as fuk after being trackside at windham:headbang:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA

We've been averaging a hundred+ riders on weekend days so far... has me pretty dang busy fixing broken crap, but I still manage to get out for a half dozen runs or so every day.

-mickey
What size Demos do you have?
26" or 27.5"?

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Have to say, Thunder is a lot of fun. That Gronk trail is very Whistler esque. Job well done by GL.
Can't wait to see what they have planned.
Billy Badger is also great.
Keep up the good work Thunder. Looking forward to getting back there.

Oh yeah, that wooden "potato chip" at the bottom is cool but very un-eventful.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was told it was the Schist, yes. I agree, it's going to be a doozy, especially for beginners. Throw in some rain and it'll be nuts.
Oh no, I meant "too easy". That's the trail under the lift. It's really, really challenging and was more of a creep than a go fast trail. The schist is going to be awesome. That trail is challenging but it's well put together. The off camber bits are going to be a nightmare in the rain though. I could see billy badger working well too, and then cat 2 going down gronk instead....not that BB is that challenging though.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
ah shit went there with a group on saturday.. probably cant make it anywhere this weekend cause im moving into a new apartment

the shist is broken in very nicely, quite steep and very fun! we brought our noob friend and he loved it. was blown away by the bike itself; and we trained the gronk so much...the trail is addicting

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The lift was out the last 2 days due to a lightening strike and some fried sensors, but we're back on track for 12-7pm tomorrow.
braaaap

Last edited: