Quantcast

**) Thursday GMT (***

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have done the opposite and stopped trimming my hair, within months it will be a fucking curly mess. Works for Robert Plant so I see no downside.
my hair is about half as thick as it used to be....still curly.....just looked stupid.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's not on building property, it is on city property next to the overpass. They used to camp under the overpass, but it is now fenced off, so they have congregated to the landing at the stairs. It's 40 feet from my desk window, quite the view I have.
The least you can do is get them a few old refrigerator boxes, newspaper, and a 55 gallon drum so they can make it a proper bum establishment.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well it looks like my impromptu planned trip to Ottawa this weekend has been canned. Maintenance at one of the buildings here is cutting power on Saturday, so of course they only notify me Thursday afternoon....Ugh.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I always thought kickback was just as serious of an issue with table saws as finger removal was.

My grandfather removed nearly half his hand with a table saw. Probably shouldn't be using those thing when you are 80 years old.

There is a lot of shit that can go wrong with a table saw, even if you are incredibly careful. I'd gladly spend an extra $200 if it could help me count to 10 for the rest of my life.

They have a table saw with the stop mechanism in one of the shops at work. There are currently 5 "used" stop mechanisms and blades hanging on the wall.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When you look back, I'm surprised that we had table saws and were allowed to use them in high school shop class. Especially considering shop class at my particular high school was filled with a bunch of stoners, slackers or other people looking for an easy course. Our teacher only had one story to tell about a kid losing a finger and having to find it in the dust collector piping.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The least you can do is get them a few old refrigerator boxes, newspaper, and a 55 gallon drum so they can make it a proper bum establishment.
Dude, it is a pretty well set up camp at this rate. Portland does it a little different and it being fire season, I don't know that a burn barrel is needed just yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dude, it is a pretty well set up camp at this rate. Portland does it a little different and it being fire season, I don't know that a burn barrel is needed just yet.
So are these:
gutter punks
Alcoholic Schizophrenics
Meth Heads
Heroin Addicts
or just poor bastards who don't have a home?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Friends visiting from out of town. They had to get Garbage plates. I passed. I know better then to eat them twice in a week....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
and the guy who thinks he's jesus
I shouldn't have limited severe mental problems to alcoholic schizophrenics. I ain't no head doctor but the majority of people who seem to be homeless around here have some kind of untreated mental conditions.

Not trying to make light of the situation. Homelessness is really bad here. For every person that is clearly homeless there are probably 10 'normal' people who are just struggling to get by.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Both bikes are all back together. Crabon wheels installed, both forks rebuilt, new cable/housing on both. Fully could use a brake bleed so maybe I'll get to that soon.

It's 75 and sunny today so I decided on taking a 1/2 day and going for a ride before the lady and I have date night tonight.
View attachment 126102
Titus still exists? Who knew?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So are these:
gutter punks
Alcoholic Schizophrenics
Meth Heads
Heroin Addicts
or just poor bastards who don't have a home?
They seem to be millennial heroin fans (lots of these in Portland due to quality black tar). There may be additional players, I haven't done an interview.

Fun fact: Portland has the largest teen homeless population per capita in the country as a result of cheap black tar heroin.

They come for the heroin, they stay for the amenities.

<edit> While Portland has a large homeless base in general, this group and a bulk of the folks (outdoorsman?) along Naito Parkway are younger than 30.

Last edited:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
They have a table saw with the stop mechanism in one of the shops at work. There are currently 5 "used" stop mechanisms and blades hanging on the wall.
One of the boat shops I work with goes thru quite a few saw stops. Never a finger. Mostly carbon fiber inserts and wet/tacky glues that set them off. Sucks to waste an expensive table saw blade.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
When you look back, I'm surprised that we had table saws and were allowed to use them in high school shop class. Especially considering shop class at my particular high school was filled with a bunch of stoners, slackers or other people looking for an easy course. Our teacher only had one story to tell about a kid losing a finger and having to find it in the dust collector piping.
My best guess..... Even though most were stoners, people "back in the day" were actually smarter and listened to instruction that involved the avoidance of great personal injury.

Also table saw back then we're built much much better. Parts fit together tighter, pieces didn't warp, blades stayed sharper..... Tools were just plain safer to use.

Biggest safety issue these days is you can buy a mediocre table saw for 150 bucks, and people use them well past there usable ratings. The two worst things I see, is people using crap blades that will still do the job but have lost there edge after ten cuts, and shit fitting table shoes. The shoes are fine at first, but are made sho shitty that they warp first time you remove and replace them, allowing your board to catch, turn, and then all hell breaks loose.....