Quantcast

**) Thursday GMT (***

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would go 221v since you are in there. I mean, unless you want to upgrade later.

Fun fact. You can make your own 220V connection if you run two wires from a single 110V source, but one wire needs to be about 90,000 kilometers longer than the other.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
work from home tomorrow so an arborist can come give an estimate for some removals. i feel like i will use the opportunity to take a bike ride.
$10 says your "arborist" is missing teeth, has home made tattoos and is likely to be drunk or high.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One thing that struck me today about Pittsburgh is the homeless folks. We are staying in Squirrel Hil, isolated as such, but walking downtown was rife with the destitute, the occasional obvious junkie, and the open alcoholics. I kinda grew up in/around NYC, so this was nothing new. But in JH we have homeless people too, they just all have smart phones, jobs, and tacomas.
My son wants to help them all out, but you just can't.
It's a somewhat heartless realization, but oh well.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
One thing that struck me today about Pittsburgh is the homeless folks. We are staying in Squirrel Hil, isolated as such, but walking downtown was rife with the destitute, the occasional obvious junkie, and the open alcoholics. I kinda grew up in/around NYC, so this was nothing new. But in JH we have homeless people too, they just all have smart phones, jobs, and tacomas.
you should come to asheville and check out the trustafarians!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't mistake the crust punks for the homeless.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
We literally have communities living in the Santa Ana River Trail now. It just keeps getting worse. It's a pretty popular paved trail that runs right next to the Santa Ana River, but now you have to worry about riding through human feces and getting stabbed. I used to ride road bikes up and down the trail for miles as a kid with my dad.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/19/santa-ana-river-trail-walkers-cyclists-fear-homeless-give-up-outdoor-jewel/
Yeah this makes me super sad. I probably have 2000 miles riding that path. Loved riding from Green River to the Queen Mary and back

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We literally have communities living in the Santa Ana River Trail now. It just keeps getting worse. It's a pretty popular paved trail that runs right next to the Santa Ana River, but now you have to worry about riding through human feces and getting stabbed. I used to ride road bikes up and down the trail for miles as a kid with my dad.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/19/santa-ana-river-trail-walkers-cyclists-fear-homeless-give-up-outdoor-jewel/
The I-5 Colonnade Bike Park that Skookum helped build in Seattle has been overrun with the homeless. I haven't been down there in a while but same story. Your going to run through shit and needles.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Soooooooo....... Over the last few weeks I have been getting my gear ready during the day while my boy naps. So in other words I have started checking a lot of stuff to not finish. Finally got my trusty back country tent out to reapply some water proofing agent(simple camp dry), and coat with permethrin for my upcoming hunting trip. Well the damned tent decided to rip on me.

So here I am, no small tent to have in my bag, and trip starts on September 10th.
So I need some suggestions from the collective monkey peeps for a new back packing tent that is not going to break the bank. Don't care if it only lasts this season, looking for some cheap but ok that will keep water and bugs out, stay respectably warm for one person...... Or do I suck it up, take my six person tent, keep a single base camp and deal with an oversized tent and possibly be very cold at night.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There are homeless camps along the Platte River and Sand Creek Greenway trails here in Denver, too. I commute along the latter, because I trust in my homeless-dude-dodging game.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Soooooooo....... Over the last few weeks I have been getting my gear ready during the day while my boy naps. So in other words I have started checking a lot of stuff to not finish. Finally got my trusty back country tent out to reapply some water proofing agent(simple camp dry), and coat with permethrin for my upcoming hunting trip. Well the damned tent decided to rip on me.

So here I am, no small tent to have in my bag, and trip starts on September 10th.
So I need some suggestions from the collective monkey peeps for a new back packing tent that is not going to break the bank. Don't care if it only lasts this season, looking for some cheap but ok that will keep water and bugs out, stay respectably warm for one person...... Or do I suck it up, take my six person tent, keep a single base camp and deal with an oversized tent and possibly be very cold at night.....
Check out closeouts on sites like steepandcheap, campsaver, campmor, Sierra trading Post, etc. Really good prices on past season inventory.

I have a big Agnes fly Creek ul2 that you can get for a good price. Tight but reasonable for 2 people, but not exactly a 4 season tent.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Girlfriend's mom works at the registration desk at the local hospital. Says a woman fell asleep while breastfeeding her baby, accidentally smothered him/her and was rushed in. When she found out the baby didn't make it, she tried kiling herself at the hospital.

Fuck me....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Also, depending on how bad the rip is I found a website a while back that sells pretty much anything you'd need material wise to repair (or even make) your own tent...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Girlfriend's mom works at the registration desk at the local hospital. Says a woman fell asleep while breastfeeding her baby, accidentally smothered him/her and was rushed in. When she found out the baby didn't make it, she tried kiling herself at the hospital.

Fuck me....
Oof. That would screw with one's head.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IMAG0251.jpg
During the evening dog walk two fucking cats came off of someone's front steps and attacked my dog. I have always wondered what the dog would do when he got face to face with a cat. Get his ass kicked is what he does. One cat was firmly on his snout biting his nose while the other punk toady cat just took swiping cheap shots. The pup was in perfect position to disembowel the foul little creature but didn't do anything. I think the dumbass was having fun. I eventually kicked the one attached to his face enough to knock it off and run away. The other one kept swiping at the dog. I took a little chip shot at it and caught it under the chin, it then skedaddled out of the situation. Dog's face was all bloody, after a minute or so he licked his snout clean and the bleeding stopped. A few small scratches and a very short deep cut.

Took the dog back home and made sure he was OK. Then marched back to the house where it happened. Fucking cat was just chilling on top of a garbage can. I think the owner may have seen what happened because he came out rather quickly as I pondered murdering his kitty. Politely yelled at him for a few minutes and got his name and address. He claimed that the cat was afraid of everything and has never done this before.

Yeah, the little fucker looks terrified. (I didn't kick it cross eyed, it just needz moar shimz)

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Check out closeouts on sites like steepandcheap, campsaver, campmor, Sierra trading Post, etc. Really good prices on past season inventory.

I have a big Agnes fly Creek ul2 that you can get for a good price. Tight but reasonable for 2 people, but not exactly a 4 season tent.
I will be searching those sights tomorrow..... And if I find myself in "need" of a four season tent on this particular trip..... I'm going home.

Base camp will be a drive to camp up some terrible old logging/forestry access roads. Each days worth of hiking will be no more than ten miles from camp at most, more reasonable to say five miles from camp. So, yeah just need something.

As far as how bad it tore..... All the way up the side. Been a while since I have been out solo so haven't taken the small tent out for at least three years

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I will be searching those sights tomorrow..... And if I find myself in "need" of a four season tent on this particular trip..... I'm going home.

Base camp will be a drive to camp up some terrible old logging/forestry access roads. Each days worth of hiking will be no more than ten miles from camp at most, more reasonable to say five miles from camp. So, yeah just need something.

As far as how bad it tore..... All the way up the side. Been a while since I have been out solo so haven't taken the small tent out for at least three years
REI Half dome 2 will not break the bank
https://www.rei.com/product/878519/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-tent

or for 3-4 season use there is this one . I have an earlier model that I use for solo camping it is more expensive but it was designed for winds up to 65 mph
https://www.rei.com/product/794283/rei-co-op-arete-asl-2-tent