Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT, Now With Wingdings!***

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
waiting on an offer for the new jerb.

boss sat me down and discussed all the time off I've been taking recently, how it made me look bad leaving half an hour early on the half day I took recently. If this doesn't work out, I don't know how I can maintain this job and look for a new one, I might have to resign.

boss sat me down and discussed all the time off I've been taking recently, how it made me look bad leaving half an hour early on the half day I took recently. If this doesn't work out, I don't know how I can maintain this job and look for a new one, I might have to resign.
If boss is busting you over a half an hour, it's definitely time to leave. How many hours a week on average do they squeeze out of you?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Why resign? They can fire you if they have a problem I would not worry about it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Did an hard hour of spinning last night.It was good. A benefit of bringing the short bus home last night is that with no commute I got to sleep in for an extra hour. Coffee time while i tidy up a bit so that the house is semi presentable when the wife gets home from her Business trip this afternoon

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If boss is busting you over a half an hour, it's definitely time to leave. How many hours a week on average do they squeeze out of you?
honestly I keep it around 40. My family is most important to me, and despite what I said a few days ago, I'd rather work normal hours than climb the corporate ladder. I don't want my kids hanging out at daycare any longer than they have to so my wife and I can complete a full day.

@CBJ: I hear you, but resigning would give me a clearer path forward than being fired. Saying "my supervisor was giving me a hard time, and it was a tough choice but I had to do what was best for me" sounds better than "I was terminated because I was taking too much time off in a short period of time". Resigning would also terminate the stress that gets put on me when I have to call in, schedule a vacation day, or whatever. I'd be free to interview when I need to and get to spend more time with my kids. Honestly, I have considered resigning for some time just because of the way I am treated here. We are financially sound for a reasonable period of time, and my kids are very young.

We will see what happens..!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
honestly I keep it around 40. My family is most important to me, and despite what I said a few days ago, I'd rather work normal hours than climb the corporate ladder. I don't want my kids hanging out at daycare any longer than they have to so my wife and I can complete a full day.

@CBJ: I hear you, but resigning would give me a clearer path forward than being fired. Saying "my supervisor was giving me a hard time, and it was a tough choice but I had to do what was best for me" sounds better than "I was terminated because I was taking too much time off in a short period of time". Resigning would also terminate the stress that gets put on me when I have to call in, schedule a vacation day, or whatever. I'd be free to interview when I need to and get to spend more time with my kids. Honestly, I have considered resigning for some time just because of the way I am treated here. We are financially sound for a reasonable period of time, and my kids are very young.

We will see what happens..!
Your head is in the right place. Your kids are only young once. It's a heck of a lot more important to spend the limited amount of time you are granted on this planet with them than working for a corporate entity whose only concern is how much money you generate for them.

And honestly, fuck them. they never bitch about countless hours of "casual overtime" yet as soon as you take some casual undertime they are all over you about it.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Thanks to everyone for their responses on the ADD meds question yesterday. There was some very monocle-worthy advice given, and I'll keep those thoughts as we move forward.

There's Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the breakroom - I've already had a chocolate covered and a glazed. It was a total corporate "we're sorry we fired ten of your friends to ease our bottom line last Friday, so here's some doughnuts" move. We've also been asked to add 5 more hours to our work week with no compensation, so I'm clipping out half my lunch break and staying longer at the end of the day - hopefully, this increase will keep me off their radar for termination as I look for a new job.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Rode last night instead of skiing. mostly because I'd already made the commitment to ride. I think the skiing would have been funner, but it's good to get out with new people. I worked him pretty hard though. I think he was a little surprised. I tried to take it easy. honestly, I really did. Snowshoe runners had already been out to trample the snow, so we weren't pushing through fresh, but it was very fluffy and unconsolidated. Sort of like sugar. It was super fun once I got the confidence to lean waaaaay over the front wheel and drift the corners. I think these are perfect conditions for learning to drift. You're going slow and falling into soft fluffy stuff, but you get a sense for how the bike responds to various body inputs.... This, and the hardtail thread are making me think very hard about swapping the parts from my Mojo HD onto a hardtail, and have a simple bike for hooning around on in the spring, and when things are nasty-wet. hmmmm. Then I could hand that bike over to my boy when he grows into it...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Still feel like shit, but well enough to work.

New girl starting at work today. She's in Boston and I'm in Denver; this should make for fun training.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

did you explain to him how being a clock hawk makes him look bad?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hi everyone!
Is carneval a thing in the US? Anyway, my nephew is wearing a Darth Vader costume today, which reminded me of this video. Still laughing out loud when I watch it:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
his, and the hardtail thread are making me think very hard about swapping the parts from my Mojo HD onto a hardtail, and have a simple bike for hooning around on in the spring, and when things are nasty-wet. hmmmm.
That's what I do. Plus, studded tires for winter mess riding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Things have been pretty chill at work for the past few months. Taking Friday off for a friends wedding and three weeks worth of shit hits my desk.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
When you tell your guy doing Visio diagrams for a proposal exactly what you want...and then he sends something completely different...

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
the kind that manages a cubicle farm......and i think you are giving the word professional too much weight...
Home run on that pitch, stevew. I dwell in the cubicle farm, and this is the kind of sh*t we are subjected to on a daily basis. Each time I walk through the door and sit in my 10 x 10 cell, a little piece of me dies inside.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. On academic time today and the backup person in case someone calls in sick... but no one has called in, apparently. So instead I'm working from home save for popping in for an hour for a noon meeting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thank you my homies for the words of encouragement and support. I swear I'm not crazy, I've been working for over 10 years (yay corporate america) and I've never had a problem with PTO. Here it's like I'm going to start needing doctor's notes for when my baby is sick. I mean, it's probably pretty obvious that I'm interviewing, but this problem has existed for some time.