Quantcast

***Thursderp GMT, Now With Wingdings!***

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I had a 9 month voluntary funemployement in 2010. It was very awesome.

I was laid off in 2008 - just bought a house and had a kid. That was straight crazy - 6 months before something full time hit. Bought a laser-engraver and worked for myself for awhile. I went through a cycle about 5 more times where I would find something good, then the economy would force them to make cuts...off I went. Ended up in the sign industry...that's no less sketchy, but I'm good at what I do, so I'm able to control where I go now. Almost lost the house twice in the last 5 years...life is a f'ing roller-coaster - keep hands and arms inside the ride at all times. I'm no longer afraid of change and surprise. move with the air molecules, not against them and you'll be fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was laid off in 2008 - just bought a house and had a kid. That was straight crazy - 6 months before something full time hit. Bought a laser-engraver and worked for myself for awhile. I went through a cycle about 5 more times where I would find something good, then the economy would force them to make cuts...off I went. Ended up in the sign industry...that's no less sketchy, but I'm good at what I do, so I'm able to control where I go now. Almost lost the house twice in the last 5 years...life is a f'ing roller-coaster - keep hands and arms inside the ride at all times. I'm no longer afraid of change and surprise. move with the air molecules, not against them and you'll be fine.

And no matter how much money you make, live on a hell of a lot less. That savings is a lot more useful when you don't have an income than whatever bullshit you are going to spend it on now. Easier said than done, but I could guarantee that 95% of people spend a fair share of their income on things they do not "need".

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And no matter how much money you make, live on a hell of a lot less. That savings is a lot more useful when you don't have an income than whatever bullshit you are going to spend it on now. Easier said than done, but I could guarantee that 95% of people spend a fair share of their income on things they do not "need".
You should start a blog. People would subscribe to your newsletter.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You can't predict the market near-term. If you need funds near-term, then it shouldn't be invested such that market fluctuations would negatively impact them. See statement above.
NYT said:
Twitter feeds quickly filled with teary, wailing GIFs and heart emoticons cracked in two — pithy punctuation about anemic 401(k) accounts being whittled down to wisps. Many young investors bemoaned the misfortune of equity portfolios shriveling up weeks after their cryptocurrency holdings also began deflating.
source

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC

That's a big AMEN, right there. There is nothing like some serious f'ing poverty to help reorient your material possession compass. I'm thankful for every single one of those experiences because it armed me with the tools to appreciate that very sentiment.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Crypto "currency"... lol. It's hard to feel bad for folks who jumped on that get-rich-quick scheme.

" some had forgotten the passwords to their trading accounts and, to their panic, were locked out."

Probably the best thing that could happen to them in a time like this. :D

That article just keeps getting better:

"Millennials now expect an average annual return of 13.7 percent"
"more than 80 percent of young investors — a far higher share than among older age groups — describe their investing strategy as “conservative,” "

Conservative investing expecting 13.7% return... :rofl:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Crypto "currency"... lol. It's hard to feel bad for folks who jumped on that get-rich-quick scheme.

" some had forgotten the passwords to their trading accounts and, to their panic, were locked out."

Probably the best thing that could happen to them in a time like this. :D
To my untrained eye, the stock market retirement dependency and the 401k concept are the biggest crimes committed against the US citizens in the history of the US of A. But, I know next to nothing about money so I can be entirely wrong. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
To my untrained eye, the stock market retirement dependency and the 401k concept are the biggest crimes committed against the US citizens in the history of the US of A. But, I know next to nothing about money so I can be entirely wrong. :D
Probably depends on whether you are profiting from it. I mean, I've never known any different... 401K/IRA *is* my retirement. I have, literally, nothing else, except SS, I suppose. But I'm putting precisely *ZERO* faith in that panning out.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have close to 400k floating in an IRA, I out about 45k into it, then company match, it's on a long term program I don't have to deal with. Started as a super aggressive/well diversified plan, made a lot of money, recently changed it, about a year ago to a moderately aggressive strategy, I'm in the positive.

Things to remember when a stock market drops..... Think of it as you own a shit ton of balloons. Those balloons are very full. They deflate(this is the drop). Don't touch it or you lock in your loss. If your retirement, like mine, is another 20-30 years off you do not need to panic. Wait for the upswing, may be a while, like a few years, the upswing will usually be higher. As you get closer and closer to retirement, move more into money/cash accounts. These are safe, but make little money. I will likely move mine to full cash in about ten years, maybe sooner if we have a huge boom.

On top of that first it's, I have a new small one with the sheriff's office, plus my sheriff's retirement.

I am gonna retire like a king

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
yo muh peeps.
moving to a town of 273 (2016 so its prolly twice that now) further up into the hills in a couple months.
couldnt be more stoked.
word to your moms.
PEACE!
nederland?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
are you gonna get compensated for unused (pro-rated) vacation?
lol no he made me use a full day for the half day I took. I'm going to end up with none or having to pay some out. Let's just get those references cleared first before I go leaving 15 minutes early and literally cheat the company out of money

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lol no he made me use a full day for the half day I took. I'm going to end up with none or having to pay some out. Let's just get those references cleared first before I go leaving 15 minutes early and literally cheat the company out of money
I sure hope you're not giving a full two weeks notice

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i honestly wonder if he'll just ask me to leave, but yeah I'm doing the decent thing. you never want to burn bridges in this industry. My now VP asked my previous VP for a personal reference. I had no idea they knew each other. as much as I want to do the double middle finger whirlwind exist, I'd rather be gracious and just curse them from inside my sensible japanese automobile.

oh yeah, that's one thing that's neat- this new place is a sensible drive away, so I can get some goofy POS automobile to drive there

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like the comment my daughter made in the grocery store. A book in the impulse isle titled "How to live on a tight budget" Chapter 1: Stop buying shit in the impulse isle. The End.

:rofl:

It helps to live on a tight budget when the only impulse I have in a store is to get the fuck out.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Well then, low-slack death machine it is. I probably should ride Wilson's with him before he gets pedal struck into oblivion. The area ain't marked so good and guides are handy.
low slack death machine ... you should be in marketing.

pedal strike into oblivion took me out for all of last spring. no bueno. he's doomed.