Quantcast

@@@@Thursderp GMT@@@@

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
dog bite.jpg

Got bite by a dog off leash in the park today. Good thing the owner gained control. I was feeling very stabby after being chased down and bitten. I had the dog down by the collar and had Mr Knife to the soft spot behind its skull when she popped out of the woods. Dog was all vaccinated. I took control of her dog and her purse until the authorities arrived as she tried to flee. Animal control took the dog away and gave her a ticket.The dog needs to be quarantined for 10 days and a hearing which my Lawyer and I will be attending needs to take place. She has a nice Mercedes Station Wagon that would cover my pain and suffering or what have you...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
View attachment 125351
Got bite by a dog off leash in the park today. Good thing the owner gained control. I was feeling very stabby after being chased down and bitten. I had the dog down by the collar and had Mr Knife to the soft spot behind its skull when she popped out of the woods. Dog was all vaccinated. I took control of her dog and her purse until the authorities arrived as she tried to flee. Animal control took the dog away and gave her a ticket.The dog needs to be quarantined for 10 days and a hearing which my Lawyer and I will be attending needs to take place. She has a nice Mercedes Station Wagon that would cover my pain and suffering or what have you...
What breed was the dog?
I got bitten by two Mai Tais for lunch today. Entirely my fault (and my work buddy's).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was bitten by an unleashed dog on the trails while riding a few weeks ago, the lady who owned the dog was in tears, you could see bite marks on my leg but the skin wasn't broken. The dog just wanted to play and came back when I called, I held the collar until the owner made it up the trail and promptly began yelling at the dog, I was not injured so I left. If the dog wanted me dead it was big enough to do real damage. Kind of proves you can't control an animal by yelling at it as it ran from her when she yelled but came right over to me when I said here puppy.

In other news planned afternoon nap to commence shortly.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pitt Bull Terrier. It will likely have to be destroyed my Lawyer says...
The closest I got to be bitten by a dog while riding was by a pitbull owned by a junkie. Those dogs can be the sweetiest things with the right owners, but with the usual white trash masters (around here), they are a disaster waiting to happen.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think I have a Rocket on the 5010 now. WTB something narrowish. You can have it if you want. I think I'm going to get another Pure V as on my commuter bike, as my grundle is similarly unhappy after grinding up climbs seated.
I have a leather Chromag Trailmaster. Best. Saddle. Ever.

The closest I got to be bitten by a dog while riding was by a pitbull owned by a junkie. Those dogs can be the sweetiest things with the right owners, but with the usual white trash masters (around here), they are a disaster waiting to happen.
Agreed. my sister in law has had a few. and they are the goofiest, sweetest dogs I've ever met. But their potential for damage is very high, and in the wrong hands could be totally disastrous. It's quite sad really.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rich white lady. She lied to the animal control officer and got caught. Stupid bitch gets what she deserves. Dog clearly is not properly trained or socialized. She was literally parked next to the "All Dogs must be leashed" sign. Park was full of little kids from the Ywca day care. I am glad it happened to me instead of them. Dog may need a few stitches however. Lots of blood. Couldn't tell if it was mine or the dogs. Heart is still beating fast.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
First job offer received. Not too bad after two weeks in Denmark. Also looked at a super nice house second row from the ocean. You can take a shit an look at the waves!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Have any of you guys looked at Google Fi? Looks cheaper than even my low cost, discounted plan through Sprint with even better coverage.
I have had google FI for 1.5 years, it is quite nice, I have a nexus 6P phone
:stupid:
We've been with Fi about the same length of time. I bought a nexus 6 because the prices plunged when the 6p and 5x came out. Couldn't be happier with both the phones and the service. Be aware that currently only a couple phones are supported by Google. I'm also lead to believe that it's kind of difficult to get a Pixel or Pixel XL. Of the things Google has gotten right with Fi, supply chain for the devices isn't one of them. We had to wait on my wifes 5x when it first came out too. We've not been out of the country since we went with Fi, so I can't speak to international coverage, but supposedly it's pretty good. I know @binary visions traveled with his, so he could tell you more about that. I've been all over the west with mine for work and what not, unless WAY out in the sticks, always had coverage.

Pitt Bull Terrier. It will likely have to be destroyed my Lawyer says...
The city will have to destroy the dog. Breed + a unprovoked attack = tons of liability for the city if they didn't. Too bad for the dog that people suck. Unfortunately that breed tends to attract lower forms of humanity, and it's too bad, they are goofy, fun dogs when not raised by douche bags. I commend you for not doing it yourself honestly. I about killed a dog with my bare hands we we got attacked last thanksgiving. I carry bear spray when I walk the dogs now.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Mornin!

Evidence suggests I very much need to ride. Evidence also suggests I may be in the market for a new saddle as I've tried fiddling with my current one a bundle and still end up with numb grundle. Perhaps it's back to a Rocket V I go as that was the last saddle I can remember being comfortable. It was 8 or so years ago, so hopefully my memory doesn't fail me.
I had the same fate last week. I picked up a Specialized Power Expert after a sit bone test. My Old SMR was too skinny and numbed my junk. New one makes my sit bones hurt, which is way better than when the main vein regains feeling....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have a leather Chromag Trailmaster. Best. Saddle. Ever.

Agreed. my sister in law has had a few. and they are the goofiest, sweetest dogs I've ever met. But their potential for damage is very high, and in the wrong hands could be totally disastrous. It's quite sad really.
That Chromag actually *looks* pretty comfy. Brown might be pretty hideous on my black/teal bike, but I suppose I could deal with that. Too bad its not easier to try saddles out before buying them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That Chromag actually *looks* pretty comfy. Brown might be pretty hideous on my black/teal bike, but I suppose I could deal with that. Too bad its not easier to try saddles out before buying them.
It is. I used it for many years on my main bike, and replaced it with a Lynx DT. The trailmaster is now on my fatbike. The main difference I notice between the two is that I tend to get chafing with the Trailmaster if I wear a chamois, but not if I'm wearing regular sports underwear. The Lynx DT is slightly less padded, and slightly narrower overall, and works better with the chammy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@stoney Fi has been generally excellent. I've had it for 2 years now, and spent my year of travel relying on it.

While traveling, I had some occasional incredible frustrations with Fi's seemingly-arbitrary decisions to switch to networks or cellular bands with no coverage. It was bizarre, I'd be sitting with full 4G coverage, and the phone would go into its "switching" mode, search for a while, and eventually fall into "no service."

That said, it was downright magical for the 95% of the time that it worked. You'd just cross a boarder, and get a message saying, "Welcome to <country>! Fi has coverage here." No local SIMs, no changing phone number, nothing. Native calling over Wi-Fi for cheap calls internationally. Piece of cake.

In the US, I haven't had really any problems with the arbitrary switching. I seem to almost always have a very strong signal. It's definitely not as good as Verizon, but for the price, it's hard to beat. Jenn and I pay about $50/month combined.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Grilled a few pounds of chicken thighs, based half with bbq and hab sauce :drool: and JUST finished work.
Time to warsh dishes and relax for a bit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@stoney Fi has been generally excellent. I've had it for 2 years now, and spent my year of travel relying on it.

While traveling, I had some occasional incredible frustrations with Fi's seemingly-arbitrary decisions to switch to networks or cellular bands with no coverage. It was bizarre, I'd be sitting with full 4G coverage, and the phone would go into its "switching" mode, search for a while, and eventually fall into "no service."

That said, it was downright magical for the 95% of the time that it worked. You'd just cross a boarder, and get a message saying, "Welcome to <country>! Fi has coverage here." No local SIMs, no changing phone number, nothing. Native calling over Wi-Fi for cheap calls internationally. Piece of cake.

In the US, I haven't had really any problems with the arbitrary switching. I seem to almost always have a very strong signal. It's definitely not as good as Verizon, but for the price, it's hard to beat. Jenn and I pay about $50/month combined.
Have you looked into a switching app, or dialer codes? It's possible to force your phone to switch manually. I've read conflicting stuff on whether or not this is "harmful" to the phones carrier logic, but I got pretty frustrated with Fi's unwillingness or inability to switch to a clearly stronger signal. For example, at the airport we have a T-Mobile repeater in the hangar, but the phone will cling desperately to the very poor sprint signal. Half a mile a way at the terminal I have the exact opposite problem. I use the "signal spy" app to force a carrier change. I've also found that in many of the fly over states that US Cellular is almost always the strongest signal, yet Fi seems very reluctant to automatically switch to it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have you looked into a switching app, or dialer codes? It's possible to force your phone to switch manually. I've read conflicting stuff on whether or not this is "harmful" to the phones carrier logic, but I got pretty frustrated with Fi's unwillingness or inability to switch to a clearly stronger signal. For example, at the airport we have a T-Mobile repeater in the hangar, but the phone will cling desperately to the very poor sprint signal. Half a mile a way at the terminal I have the exact opposite problem. I use the "signal spy" app to force a carrier change. I've also found that in many of the fly over states that US Cellular is almost always the strongest signal, yet Fi seems very reluctant to automatically switch to it.
Fake signal

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
a friend of my brothers stabbed a pitbull to death....the pit bull was chewing on his basset hound....
I love my brothers beagles. If any living thing tried to fuck with them. Guaranteed Dirt Nap.

My hand is all warm and throbby. I tried to take a nap and watch TV and the pain was real.

I was planning on gardening tomorrow. Or the day after that. Or sometime soon...

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, I used the dialer codes to fix the behavior almost every time it happened overseas. I eventually switched to the Signal Spy app because typing the codes was annoying. However, I have found that the codes didn't always work - sometimes I would get a "Switching API unavailable" error, or the code flat out wouldn't do anything. That wasn't super often, but for instance, in Croatia, my phone roamed off the functional signal about every 2 hours, and I would have to manually switch it back when I wanted to use the phone. That meant I was switching it 6+ times per day, every day. Maybe 20% of the time I'd get the error or be unable to switch the carrier correctly. I did report the problems to Fi support, but they weren't able to do much to help. I got a bunch of monthly credits for my troubles.

Since being home from traveling, I haven't used it and everything seems fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you looked into a switching app, or dialer codes?
I pay $85/mo for two lines with Verizon with iPhones, and don't have to deal with this kind of shit.

:D

When I was in Japan I just prepaid for a month of coverage there ($35?) and it worked as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When I was in Japan I just prepaid for a month of coverage there ($35?) and it worked as well.
The ~$35 international addition for Verizon gives you 100 megabytes of data, the privilege of paying something like two bucks a minute for calling, and 100 texts. I picked up that plan a couple times when traveling when I had Verizon. It's also on top of your existing bill.

Fi's standard rate includes international data at the same price as domestic data ($10/GB and supports 4G), unlimited texts, and native Wi-Fi calling which is free (or $0.20/minute on cell networks). Your month in Japan cost $85 + $35 = $120 and you got no data usage, my average month was around $50, which included some miscellaneous calling, lots of texting, and 2-3GB of 4G data.

I don't think Fi is for everyone, but if you spend most of your time on Wi-Fi and like to travel, it's pretty awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think I went for the $40 one that had 100 minutes of talk included. I wasn't planning on using the device, but as an alternative to roaming daily charges if lost away from WiFi it did the trick. (We ended up carrying around a portable WiFi hotspot provided by our AirBNB host everywhere anyway.)

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/
Point still stands, though. Comparatively, the Verizon international plan is obscenely expensive.

Hell, if you happened to have a Nexus phone, you could just sign up for Fi for the month. $40 would buy you unlimited texts, and a budget of $20 that could be spent on $10/GB data or $0.20/min voice calls.

Another nice feature of Fi - you can get up to 10 free data-only SIM cards. Those work internationally as well, and are billed at the same $10/GB, so when Jenn's family went to Italy, I picked up 3 of them for their phones. They happily used their iPhones the whole trip and never had to really worry about how much data they racked up. No cellular voice calls, of course, but they all had WhatsApp installed for calling over data if they needed it.