Quantcast

Ti Cross with Disc Tabs

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
Hi All. I am considering getting a Ti cross bike to run discs on. I will mainly be using it for commuting on, but I would like to move from steel to Ti, mainly for weight and rust. I would consider aluminum, but like the feel of Ti/Steel. Thanks...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
So I take it you're looking for advice. Most custom builders will build frames to spec discs if you want. Otherwise you might try some of the eastern European imports. Lemond has the Propad that is steel with disc tabs.

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
I am mainly looking for brands. I wouldn't mind custom, but it may be a bit pricey. I know that Redline makes an aluminum one with tabs. The main problem I have with steel is the rust factor. When I first got the one I have now, I did not think it would be a problem, but after 1 year, I found rust on one of the rack mounts. I have also looked at the Portland from Trek, but would only want a frame, and that is not currently offered. Any direction you can point me would be great. I also want to be able to take it off road, so I like the softer feel of the Ti. Thanks...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Soma makes something like you describe in steel. Soma Double Cross DC.

I'm headed in a somewhat similar direction with this work in progress:

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
I actually looked at the double cross, and it is a nice bike. I currently ride a Pake, same group of guys and I like the geometry. I have seen the Dean bikes, and they do look rather nice. I guess it comes down to price, guess I need to sell off some bikes first...