Quantcast

Ti spring go snapp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
My bike lets out a crack after a landing today. I stop and check it out, and find my Ti spring to be cracked in two. It is 2 years old but I'm thinking that shouldn't of happenned.
Anybody else experiance the same thing????? Do Ti springs have an expirery date?

It was a manitou Ti-spring and a CCDB. I think I'm just going to order a Ti spring from Cane Creek themselves this time, as the Manitou spring was fitted to my old DHX for most of its 2 years of use. I put it on the CCDB as I didn't feel like dumping the extra $200 for the CC tI-spring at the time. Hopefully the CC Ti springs are better quality.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What frame?

Measure the length from collar to collar exactly the way it is now, and then look up the exact free length of the spring. Get back to us with those two numbers and the stroke of the shock AND the spring too.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
no. One turn maybe. It is a 500x2.75 spring on a 8.75x2.75 shock. Like I said it's been used hard for over two seasons so I'm not blaiming Manitou. I actaully think Renton or another company made the springs for them.
did you run a lot of preload on the spring?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
no. One turn maybe. It is a 500x2.75 spring on a 8.75x2.75 shock. Like I said it's been used hard for over two seasons so I'm not blaiming Manitou. I actaully think Renton or another company made the springs for them.
I dont think RCS made those (the super light ones) but it would depend on when it was made etc. If it is one of the older (super light) Manitou ti springs with few, widely spaced coils it would make sense that it would not last forever. In general, the fewer and wider spaced the coils, the higher the stress at a given compression. The 'one size fits all' RCS springs that are currently available have quite a few coils at lower pitch, resulting in a lower stressed (yet heavier) spring.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It can happen. I had a steel spring snap on me once. A standard Fox spring. It was the right stroke, right weight, no excessive preload or poor setup- just developed some kind of crack at some point (only know this because I saw a bit of rust on the inside of the spring where it broke) and then gave out. I don't think the spring was defective or of inferior quality...it just broke....

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
yep, same here. Normal Fox steelspring gave up after two seasons of regular abuse... Same pattern as above little Crack in the spring and, my guess, Snap and Pop wont be left far behind :D

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
every single Ti product I ever bought (back when I cared about light bikes) snapped.
I've also snapped a Fox steel spring so wouldn't even think about spending loads on a Ti spring to save 150g.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
did you spring rub on the shock body? as far as i know manitou springs are standard size, and the ccdb requires a 1.5 Id spring.

the reason i ask is because ti is very sensitive to scratches, that's why ti parts are always shot peened to increase the surface hardness.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
titanium used in spring applications work hardens from the constant cycling and eventually snaps because of brittleness. Its just a characteristic of titanium. The lighter progressive/manitou springs will harden faster because of the design (few coils). Springs like obtanium and rcs will do this too but will take longer because the metal is not stressed as much. The closer you get to plastic deformation with each stroke the faster this will happen.

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
Dumb question, but since I haven't broken a spring before, is this a catastrophic failure, or barely noticeable?

I'm guessing it's something you can ride away from without a problem.

damon

robert80

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
the trail...or at work
did you spring rub on the shock body? as far as i know manitou springs are standard size, and the ccdb requires a 1.5 Id spring.

the reason i ask is because ti is very sensitive to scratches, that's why ti parts are always shot peened to increase the surface hardness.
Peening puts the surfaces into compression and reduces or eliminates the alternating stresses that accelerate fatigue failure around stress concentrations such as scratches.

titanium used in spring applications work hardens from the constant cycling and eventually snaps because of brittleness. Its just a characteristic of titanium. The lighter progressive/manitou springs will harden faster because of the design (few coils). Springs like obtanium and rcs will do this too but will take longer because the metal is not stressed as much. The closer you get to plastic deformation with each stroke the faster this will happen.
Slater's right - non-ferrous materials will not last forever under cyclic loading. However, for those who have had steel springs break, a steel spring would not be expected to fail unless its design is insufficient for the application or the spring includes stress concentrations due to scratches, dents, defects, etc.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Dumb question, but since I haven't broken a spring before, is this a catastrophic failure, or barely noticeable?

I'm guessing it's something you can ride away from without a problem.

damon
I rode away after it broke, and probably could have finished a race run it due to the fact that it broke halfway through the first coil. If it broke in the middle of the spring you'd be done, and probably crash.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Cracked my Fox 40 spring earlier this season. This doesnt surprise me at all, as some one said earlier, the brittleness properties of titanium are probably to blame.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
The Manitou springs were Taiwian built and not of the Aerospace quality Ti that is used by US built Ti springs.Hence the cost difference.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Peening puts the surfaces into compression and reduces or eliminates the alternating stresses that accelerate fatigue failure around stress concentrations such as scratches.
yea, i know that. that's why i asked if there was any rub, because those springs aren't supposed to fit on a ccdb. once that compressive layer is gone, scratches will be a problem.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
yea, i know that. that's why i asked if there was any rub, because those springs aren't supposed to fit on a ccdb. once that compressive layer is gone, scratches will be a problem.
so any rubbing on a Ti spring is a sign of impending doom?

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
The broken Fox steel one of mine most likely had all sorts of crack and dents on it. Was on Bighit (-02) and I didn't use any "shock covering boots"/sleeves. Mine snapped when I was on my way out to the hill, there was this 2 ft flatdrop 100ft away from my door. The snap was very much noticable, but not catastrophic in my case. Spring failed also pretty "low" (abt 1/4). But thenagain I wasn't riding very fast, flat ground etc
Oh the millenium: Monsters, 8ft flatdrops, 50 pound bikes... :cupidarrow: :D :D :D

CCDB is same damper body OD as Manitou. Both are fine with a spring with ID of 1.42/1.43.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
we really should have a rule that you need 10 posts before you can start posting links.

if it's not spam, why did you revive a 5 year old thread?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Damn, I didn't even see how old this thread was. It just got me thinking about my 5 year old Ti spring that's been with me for 3 bikes...

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Damn, I didn't even see how old this thread was. It just got me thinking about my 5 year old Ti spring that's been with me for 3 bikes...
It's gonna snap! 'Cause ti is brittle, and doesn't like being flexed. Which explains why all those ti bars and frames keep breaking. Too bad ti doesn't burn like magnesium, 'cause at least then we'd have a use for the big pile of broken ti parts lying everywhere.

Last edited: