Quantcast

Tight Pants (in defense of)

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
After seeing yet another tight pants comment in the ryan fudger mtb-hate thread, i just need to say something. first of all what makes tight pants girl pants? tight pants have been worn by rockers/punks since the beginning, when most girls were either wearing dresses or bellbottoms. i personally can't stand just lounging around in tight pants, but they feel great to ride in and they don't get caught in your chain or slip over your seat during turndowns (scariest Shvt, BTW).

basically tight pants are not girl pants by their nature (its only when men actually go to the women's section to buy pants), and who the fvck cares what pants other people ride in?

(plus i think most guys who have a problem with tight pants are just bothered by the fact that they get funny feelings inside when they see a guy in flattering pair of pants:banana:)

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i wear girl pants being skinny enough i can pull it off.

also, unless you're dumb as a brick they don't ride up on your nuts at all.

i have girls tell me i have nice legs on a regular basis :]

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok, some clarification on the tight jeans coming from the rocker/punk scene. It was more a byproduct of the punk scene. It wasn't done for fashion purposes. Its because most of the punk kids who started all this back in the early 80's were poor, and just couldn't afford to buy new pants. So they just kept wearing the same pants until they wore out and had to 'obtain' (read "steal") new ones. Even in the late 90's this held true. When I was living in Pittsburgh I was very into the punk scene there, it held true. I knew quite a few of the kids (who also happened to be couriers) only had one or 2 pairs of pants, and maybe half a dozen t-shirts. They could fit their entire wardrobe in a backpack / messenger bag.

Now, when it comes to the whole bmx thing, from what I can tell the trend jumped over from all the 'emo' kids (who were trying to look like the squatter punx and crusties) but were in fact a bunch of big sissies. These wankers liked tight jeans, but were too cool and from the suburbs and wouldn't shop at thrift stores to find tight pants, so they resorted to buying girls pants. Somewhere along the line bmx riders and skateboarders picked this up as well.

While I have nothing against tight jeans function wise (which I can totally understand), there are far too many non-riders/skaters adopting this trend.

Additionally, for those of us who are well past puberty, tight jeans aren't exactly comfortable.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Punk?? You guys do know what wranglers are right?

I always just associated this latest trend with the emo freaks. We don't have a large bmx or skate culture here locally just lots of boys with girls hair, girls pants, and girls jewelry, apparently packing around razor blades for the occassional flesh slashing thrill!!

I personally don't care what anyone wears as I'm no fashion genius myself but this emo thing is fubar.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I wear slim fit, just enough room in there to fit the pads and give the sack a little breathing room, but tight enough to look cool and not get stuck in the chain.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I wear slim fit, just enough room in there to fit the pads and give the sack a little breathing room, but tight enough to look cool and not get stuck in the chain.
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the last thing I think when I see a kid in tight pants is "man, that guy looks cool..."

To each his own, I suppose. I wear Levi's 517's pretty much exclusively - hardly tight, and I've never had any problems getting caught in the chain, etc., so to me, it seems like it really boils down to "looking cool". And hell, if I was a teenager these days, maybe I'd wear tight pants too. But I'm not, so I'll just make fun of it instead.

organizedrage

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, CA
quit complaining about who has the tighter pants and just ride your bike. ride to ride not to set a trend. everyone has their own preference, but you will notice that when you see a good rider with their tricks dialed, you dont notice the pants they are wearing, you only notice the riding, and isnt that what its all about?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Slightly OT - I saw a 10 year old boy wearing eye-liner yesterday at our skatepark fundraiser. No longer do you only have to worry about your daughter wearing make-up too early!

(And after hearing the rotten mouths on these kids for a whole day and their total lack of respect for pretty much everyone, I no longer want a skatepark in my town. Why give my time and work so hard to give them something else to disrespect?)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Slightly OT - I saw a 10 year old boy wearing eye-liner yesterday at our skatepark fundraiser. No longer do you only have to worry about your daughter wearing make-up too early!

(And after hearing the rotten mouths on these kids for a whole day and their total lack of respect for pretty much everyone, I no longer want a skatepark in my town. Why give my time and work so hard to give them something else to disrespect?)
take away the baseball fields too. and kids can be vulgar at swimming pools too. so, no pools this summer.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Gotta define "tight" pants vs. "girl" pants. Girl pants are for the 100lb "kids" who can fit into actual girl pants and have no calves or thighs. Tight pants are another story but have the same effect.

Pretty much anyone over 30 does not wear girl or tight pants. And the excuse that it does not get caught in a chain is ridiculous. Buy tapered jeans if need be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i'm with ya on this one. But I don't really blame the kids, I blame the parents. Cuz parents these days aren't doing their fvcking jobs to raise a child properly. :disgust1:

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
i'm with ya on this one. But I don't really blame the kids, I blame the parents. Cuz parents these days aren't doing their fvcking jobs to raise a child properly. :disgust1:
??

I blame the fact that society insists that we herd our kids off to fubar schools for the majority of their impressionable lives.

Not to mention our fubar economy which further dictates that parents slave their lives away to support their kids and pump tax money into said schools or *gulp* pay for private.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
??

I blame the fact that society insists that we herd our kids off to fubar schools for the majority of their impressionable lives.

Not to mention our fubar economy which further dictates that parents slave their lives away to support their kids and pump tax money into said schools or *gulp* pay for private.
That's part of the problem as well, but the school system wouldn't be so fvcked up if they didn't have to spend so much time dealing with problematic students who can't control themselves and have no respect for adults. Both of which are.... (wait for it).... the byproduct of poor parenting.

I don't disagree that the American education system is in the sh*tter, but that's not the only cause of the situation.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Not saying there aren't some terrible parents out there, but if you're one of the unfortunate hard working good ones you're behind the power curve from the get go if your kid is in public schools.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
"I wear fat-girl pants." - My friend Jimmy

After getting my baggy pants caught in my chainwheel twice in the last 2 days, I see why they wear tight jeans.

Fashion follows function.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not saying there aren't some terrible parents out there, but if you're one of the unfortunate hard working good ones you're behind the power curve from the get go if your kid is in public schools.
I went to public school and I turned out alright. Got into a damn good college and right now I'm working at a Fortune 500 company as a design engineer.

Last edited:

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
I went to public school and I turned out alright. Got into a damn good college and right now I'm working at a Fortune 500 company as a design engineer.

You keep missing my point. :p

What I'm saying is that even if you are a good parent the better share of your life is spent in schools where sex, drugs, guns, and girls pants run rampant.

Yes, some come out ok, I did too (well I think so). But it gets grimmer by the day if you ask me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You keep missing my point. :p

What I'm saying is that even if you are a good parent the better share of your life is spent in schools where sex, drugs, guns, and girls pants run rampant.

Yes, some come out ok, I did too (well I think so). But it gets grimmer by the day if you ask me.
No I get your point exactly. I've witnessed everything you've described above and then some. My freshman year my high school had bomb threats at least 3 times a month. I saw knife fights more than once a year. I saw a kid get thrown through a plate glass window. Kids used to smoke real chronic (weed laced with crack) in the bathroom, among other things. My high school had a day care center for the STUDENTS' children (which took care of 3x as many children as the day care center for the teacher's children). FWIW my school district encompassed 3 very large housing projects, which were known for gang violence, drugs, etc. It wasn't uncommon for a student to just randomly stop coming to school, and a week or so later we'd find out that they were killed in a drive by shooting.

From the time I started high school to the time I left, it got constantly worse and worse and worse. I'm fully aware of the sad state of the American education system. My mother teaches in a public school, my mother's older sister teaches in a public school, 2 of my dad's sisters teach in public schools, and I have about a dozen friends who now teach in public schools. They all share the same sentiment: its a sinking ship. Yes, there are gets that make it through OK and will go on to bigger and better things. But they are the exception to the rule. You can still do OK with a public education, but only if you're damn determined to make the most of it. Its unfortunate, because I know that more students would do a lot better if the public school system was in better shape.

However I think its inaccurate to say that the education system is the only problem. I busted my ass the whole time to get out in a good position. I graduated 9th out of a class of around 400, and then I busted my ass ever since then to get where I am today. My parents were a very large driving influence on me, and definitely helped me get to where I am today. Every day I thank them for all the motivation and drive they gave me.

Last edited:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
wow. all this stuff about the american education system really makes me feel verry sorry for all you guys. I knew it wasn't up to par with euro system(s) (due to some good documentaries), but it's still kinda scary to read posts like jonKranked's.

btw wearing tight pants if you have large feet make you look really really clowny

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
take away the baseball fields too. and kids can be vulgar at swimming pools too. so, no pools this summer.
There are bad apples found everywhere, even Sunday school classes, but this was so far off the charts.

I also blame poor or totally absent parenting. Don't rely on anyone else to raise your kid.

Last edited:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
(crap movie by the way, don't waste your time)
thank you for your PERSONAL opinion, and since everyone is exactly just like you with exactly the same taste this movie will definitely be hated by all who watch it.

now i just have to force myself to stop loving this movie and not be too upset about all the time i wasted on it.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
American public schools are just fine if you apply yourself. You get out of it what you put in. The will to succeed is generally instilled by the parents. If your parents suck then you have a tougher time. But the education is there, if you want it. Schools aren't there to raise your kids.

Tight pants are ghey.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
when will people realize how fvcking ignorant calling things "gay" is? especially on a forum when you have plenty of time to think of a more relevant adjective.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when will people realize how fvcking ignorant calling things "gay" is? especially on a forum when you have plenty of time to think of a more relevant adjective.
but what if its in reference to elton john? :busted:

In this instance, I don't know if its necessarily an ignorant comment. Seeing as how cross-dressing is commonly associated with homosexuality and all.

Not that it makes it ok, right?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Sounds like JonK went to my high school. I don't know what in the hell you guys are arguing about, but I'd take the real "life" education at an inner city public school over a cupcake private or suburban whitebread school anyday.

And as for the word "gay," I think it has developed into an adjective that really has no relation to homosexuality. I try not to use it much, but I really don't view it as ignorant. Hell, even gay people and Bart Simpson use that word to describe things that are retarded (is that one non-PC, as well?).