Quantcast

Timberline Resort WV OPEN

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Timberline Resort in Canaan Valley WV has taken the first steps to open DH trails on it's terrain for this season. Timberline/Davis WV has a long history of first class events. The organizers of (The 24 Hours of Canaan, Revenge of the Rattlesnake, WVMBA State Championship and more) events in and around Timberline produce some of the best courses you can find. The reason that Davis MTB events are so popular, is the TERRAIN!

The terrain at Timberline is World Class. It's HUGE! Natural 40 ft. vertical wall rides, drops, steep roll ins, unbelievable tight bermed log cut roads, steep double/single track, natural trials and glade type tree runs!

I will post more on opening dates, pics and upcomming events very soon. Let's hear what you folks think.

Thanks, JR Nolan

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
according to the post i guess it is open?

I posted it on another topic but you really need to market this thing if you expect folks to come, get some pictures up and some more info.

I would love to do a trip down there to camp at dolly sods and ride timberline.

Get on it

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
No we are not opened yet. Memorial weekend is the target.

You are right. Please understand that the opening and info is comming SOON and the resort will ROCK!

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Sounds sick. What days/times are you guys open? Probably on the website. Was in Davis this past weekend and am looking for a reason to get over there more. Not to take anything away from the
Plantation Trail! Nice to see other mountains opening trails for the summer.

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
This weekend @ 10 and 2 there will guided tours of the areas, free lifts and free lunch. We need people to come out here to show Doc that there is interest! Plantation does rule!

JR

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If you want more people to come, you need to post some pictures, trail descriptions, and for god sakes, update your website!

I see two small links on there about biking in the news section, the rest is about skiing. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to help out. What is going to make me want to drive an hour further than Snowshoe to come there?

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
This weekend @ 10 and 2 there will guided tours of the areas, free lifts and free lunch. We need people to come out here to show Doc that there is interest! Plantation does rule!

JR
Sounds great. Have to work on Sat. at the shop (race in town). Same thing on sunday? If so me and some of the boys from Harrisonburg may come over. Thanks for the info! Man I'm stoked to ride some new places!

Last edited:

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
These photos are a few weeks old, there is more riding. Less attitude for sure! Timberline is a work in progress. The pump track is under construction. The DH trails are comming together with top to bottom flow. You have to come out here this weekend to see what has been accomplished in a short time. There will be plenty to keep you occupied. The ribbon is up, gates set and you need to see this area to know that Timberline will blow the other resorts away. It's not finished, it never will be because there is so much to develop.

S

seespotendo

dude... jr, thanks for all the work u guys put in up there. i enjoyed it, it was a blast! :banana:
my name is nick, i was on the black c'dale prophet.

thank!
nick

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Thank you for comming up. I am glad you got to ride Twister's Sister. Scott said you stayed right on him and flowed through the "Sisters."

This week i will open several new ways to go.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
This is what we are talking about.

New Crash'n'Burn entry- one of many

Lower on Crash'n'Burn

Several ways out to Twister's Sister and Scott's DH

Ben above The Sisters

The Sisters

Timberline will not be open for DH this weekend, ATV races will be here, NOT ON OUR TRAILS! Trail expansion continues there is a lot opening, come out here.

S

seespotendo

hey! so whats the 411 on the trails and stuff?? im thinkin bout another trip up there!!

Repoman

Chimp
Hi, I am a noob to this board. but not to Timberline. I couldn't stand by and see these questions go unanswered - and leave fellow riders with the impression that things are dead up in the Valley. I just think my buddy JR has lost his internet link at the resort!

Here's the situation at Tline as I've seen it develop this summer. JR and his small crew of volunteers have put a lot of heart, soul, and muscle into developing a mountain bike scene at the resort with little support from management. They have successfully converted an old system of rutted out unmaintained XC trails - cleared them, bermed them, and linked them into a series of nice DH runs with some very steep sections, very rocky and technical sections, and some fast and flowy stuff to make a nice network of DH trails with a true 1000' of vertical top-to-bottom. Last I was there (4 July) they were about to open a pump track as well, and were building up an XC trail network for beginners and non-DH oriented folks.

The bike shop did not have FR or DH bikes to rent however. The owner - Doc - is waiting (I guess) to see if anything comes of this mountain bike thing that his neighbors (Wisp and Snowshoe) are making a killing on. The local bike shop in Davis (Blackwater Bikes) has some longish travel FS Cannondales (5") to rent, but they are more into the awesome XC riding that exists in Canaan Valley and have not jumped into the DH/FR market either. So BYOB if you plan on ripping the DH trails at Timberline for now.

All the trails are natural dirt and rock - no man-made wooden structures or stunts. Still, one of the things that is neat about Timberline's DH scene is that the trails all interconnect and crisscross the ski slopes into the woods which gives you a lot of unique lines down the mountain. If you have skied at Timberline you'll know what I mean. The entire mountain is open - and you can link the trails into new lines every run if you want. You can pedal Tline also. I usually head out to ride before the lifts open and pedal my 33 lb AM rig up the backside of Tline using Forest Road 80 into the Dolly Sods to grab a free run before the lifts open.

Timberline is cheap too. The cost of a one ride lift ticket is $7. All day is $20. The locals are super friendly. I hooked up with the local DH nut who owns the outdoor store in Davis for a guided tour of the mountain one weekend.

Canaan Valley in general has some of the best technical XC riding in the Mid-Atlantic, so Timberline is a good choice if you want to mix a variety of riding into your trip. The Valley is also non-corporate (for now). All the businesses including the ski resort, bike shop, restaurants, brew pubs (there are 2 in the area), and B&B are locally owned. It's a great place to visit with a distinct and very cool vibe.

As for the size of the drops - well I can't say. I've been a dedicated XC rider for years and just got into the DH scene this year with Tline's opening. I am pretty conservative and try to keep upright with wheels to the ground as much as possible. I imagine there are some fairly decent sized drops on the mountain - though you may need a little imagination - or a local - to figure out where to hit them.

Timberline is sponsoring a DH race in September - to coincide with the infamous Revenge of the Rattlesnake XC marathon race. Tline jumped into the DH scene a little too late this year to get any other races fit into an already crowded race schedule for the Mid-Atlantic resorts. Hopefully this race will draw some more folks down to Tline to check out the goods, encourage the MTB operations team, and get the owner's attention that he might have something worthwhile going on here. If you're riding at Wisp - consider popping down to Tline to check things out. It's about a 45 minute drive from Deep Creek Lake. You'll find unspoiled scenery, beautiful high-Mountain weather (Canaan Valley ranges from 3200-4200 feet), no crowds, and no attitude.

I'll be heading up to Timberline myself next week - and I'll post up a report.

Repo

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
JR has put a lot of work into those trails & I believe that seeing is believing, so here are 3 interactive trail maps; basically one photo every 200+ feet or so, for each of the trails.

(we have mapped out all the rest, and are releasing one a day on www.damaps.com)

Black Diamond – 1.1 miles of DH – 1040 feet descent
Jim’s Jump: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1581

Red Triangle – 1.5 miles of DH – 1040 feet descent
Rick’s Run: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1541

Blue Square – 1.3 miles of DH – 1040 feet descent
Doc’s Revenge: www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1591

Catch the lift on weekends, or ride up with us during the week - either way, see you on the trails!

Ludovic - DaMaps

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
From least expensive to luxurious, here's the lodging situation:
1. Car camping
2. Tent Camping (wild)
3. Tent Camping (hot showers & the works)
4. Bunkhouse (on location at Timberline)
5. Condos (on and off slopes)
6. Houses (on and off slopes, from small to gigantic)

Prices thus range from $0.00 to about $1600.00/ 3 days.
I know it's a broad range - but as you can see, there is just about everything available to you in and around Timberline.

Let me know if you need more info, or call www.t4sr.com for your private lodging accommodation.

NOTE: Photo shoot, THIS WEEKEND at Timberline.
9am at Timberline's Bike Shop.
2 photographers
We'll use these photos to really show off the trails online.

See ya then!

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
This weekend was a success:
We had our action photo shoot & 2 new trails were mapped out in the process.

We look foward to another great week of biking.
For updates on new maps, check out www.damaps.com

Doc’s Revenge
BLUE – Moderate
1.3 miles of Downhill
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1591

Ben’s Venture
RED – Advanced
1.3 miles of Downhill
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1551

Rick’s Run
RED – Advanced
1.5 miles of Downhill
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1541

Jim’s Jump
BLACK – Expert
1.1 miles of Downhill
http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1581

Attachments

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
I have been absent from the forums for a time now. Trails are my focus and Ludovic has captured what Timberline has to offer with GREAT MAPS! Building these trails is a joy. You must come ride here to see for yourself. A race in September and a late season closing date will give you a chance to come. Details will follow soon.

JR

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
When is the race in Sept?

And when do you close?

Looks awesome. Thanks for all the pics.
Name of event: Timberline "Double Down" DH

"Double Down" DH Bike Race will be held on Sunday, Sept. 28 2008. This WVMBA sanctioned DH race is a 2 run event that consists of 1 run on 2 different courses with 1000' vertical drop each- with an approximate six minute elapsed time per run. Cumulative time for both runs determines the time calculated for placing in respective class. Cash pay back to all classes! An overall "fastest run" on each course will also be awarded.

Registration is on Saturday 9 -12 and Sunday 8-10:30 am at the Timberline bike shop. There is a Saturday timed practice from 1 to 3, riders must be registered for Sunday's event to participate. A Saturday and Sunday all day lift pass is included with registration on Saturday for Sunday's event. Come for two days and take advantage.

The "Double Down" start time is 12pm Sunday with a mandatory riders meeting at 11:30 at the top of the lift.

Entry fee is $45 and includes event weekend all day lift access and a WVMBA one day event license. Please call or email JR Nolan for more information. 800-766-9464 ext.129 or jrnolan@comcast.net

Timberline's "Double Down" is a sure bet, $45 gets you . . .
Cash pay back- all classes
Two all day passes
Timed practice on Saturday
Two runs- two courses (SL gates included)
1000 vert
Fast flowing courses with natural features and hand built
Race Department with twenty plus years experience
MTB race venue since 1994

Closing date will be very late, into the early winter season.

Last edited: