Quantcast

time ratio between your 50 and 100 mile rides

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I haven't tried to go beyond 50 yet, doing 75 this weekend. My last 50, Saturday, took three hours. I'm sure I can't do 100 in twice the time it takes me to do 50, but was wondering what I might expect.

So, what's your typical 50 and 100 mile times?

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
A little under 3 hrs. for 50 and about 5.5 to 6 for a century (invariably you run into hills when you ride that long). Instead of time, I try to gauge my ride from my perceived energy/power sense. I usually ride better in the second half of rides. I also take note of whether ppl are passing me, or I'm passing lots of ppl. Coupled with this is my sense of how strong I felt in going to the front of the pace line and doing work. Some centuries I've lived on the front and other rides I've just held on for dear life.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I will assume you are not going to hold a pace line for your first - this will cost you time and energy but you should be realistic and expect 7 1/2 hours solo and maybe 7 hours if you are in a line of riders with similar ability.

My typical century will be 5 1/2 hours with a good pace line and 6 hours solo. If I push hard and have favorable or low winds I can do a fifty in about 2:45 but it is a big effort since that route is a bit rolling.

Are you rding a flat fifty in that time or are there hills? Back in the day we used to ride the old highway from Parker to Colorado Springs - something like 2:10 for that fifty. Junior racer back then.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
cliffster5, thanks bro! I like the perceived energy idea. I rode for two hours tonight and while I only averaged 13mph, I was riding 5-7% grades really strong (for me).

Thing is, the 50 I did in 3 hours, well, i think that was a freak occurance and was just riding really strong. The 50 I did was ~3% climb 25 miles out, then returning. I think I had no wind for the "climb" and a tail wind for the return, I was averaging ~27mph on the return.

well, if I can do the century in under 8 hours, i'll be satisfied.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Are you rding a flat fifty in that time or are there hills? Back in the day we used to ride the old highway from Parker to Colorado Springs - something like 2:10 for that fifty. Junior racer back then.
The 50 I did on Saturday is the last portion of the Elephant Rock, which you might be familiar with. The first part of the ER is the same route -- I'm guessing -- that you've ridden so many times.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Holy crap - there weren't that many roads back when I lived there. I'm getting OLD. Things are changing. :eek:

But to answer your question, yes - very familiar with that area. I grew up in the Pinery subdivision and went to Douglas Co. HS in Castlerock.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I have yet to do a 50 mile ride. :dead:

I am riding in the MS Bike Tour June 6th and am registered for the 50 miler. :)
careful, roading gets addicting :devil:

But it has made me a better mtb.

Post about your MS50 ride afterwards.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Hey Op, you'll for sure do it in 8 hrs. (ride time that is). Don't feel bad at all about hooking up with passing pace lines. Hell, they'll prolly be shouting for you to jump on as they come by. I know it's a fundamental concept but it bears repeating: Don't forget to EAT and drink. I try to drink something every 15 minutes and I've gotten the rest stop thing down lately to oranges, salty foods (pretzels), pbj sandwich, sports energy bar, potatoes (if available), and gorp. Food, water, and good sleep the few nights before the ride cannot be underestimated. If you did the 75 miler with little problem, you should be absolutely fine on the century.Oh yeah, one other tip: try to divided the ride in your mind into sections eg. Four 25 mile sections, two fifty milers, or however many segments in between rest stops. Try not to think of it as one mile done, 99 to go. If you can, ride this thing with a buddy and at a pace where you can talk (particularly in the morning). It's amazing how quickly the miles go and all of sudden you look up and you've done 35 miles. Last advice, lift yer head up a couple of times and thank the universe that we get to do this in whatever beautiful surroundings you get to ride in. 100 miles, damn you're a stud!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by cliffster5
Hey Op, you'll for sure do it in 8 hrs. (ride time that is). Don't feel bad at all about hooking up with passing pace lines. Hell, they'll prolly be shouting for you to jump on as they come by. I know it's a fundamental concept but it bears repeating: Don't forget to EAT and drink. I try to drink something every 15 minutes and I've gotten the rest stop thing down lately to oranges, salty foods (pretzels), pbj sandwich, sports energy bar, potatoes (if available), and gorp. Food, water, and good sleep the few nights before the ride cannot be underestimated. If you did the 75 miler with little problem, you should be absolutely fine on the century.Oh yeah, one other tip: try to divided the ride in your mind into sections eg. Four 25 mile sections, two fifty milers, or however many segments in between rest stops. Try not to think of it as one mile done, 99 to go. If you can, ride this thing with a buddy and at a pace where you can talk (particularly in the morning). It's amazing how quickly the miles go and all of sudden you look up and you've done 35 miles. Last advice, lift yer head up a couple of times and thank the universe that we get to do this in whatever beautiful surroundings you get to ride in. 100 miles, damn you're a stud!!!
thanks for the advice and encouragement!

And yup, I certainly lift my head and look around. It's friggin' awesome here man. I am lucky.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Howdy folks. Haven't been around these parts in a long while, thought I would stop in and see what is happenin'. See the regulars are still around.

LO, congrats on giving a century a go! Sounds like the road bike has become something of a favorite for you. Good to hear. Anyway, just an additional note on eating, your body can only process something like 250 calories an hour while you are on the bike, something to keep in mind. Eat continuosly, small amounts often, that way you avoid having a lump of food sitting in your gut. Start fueling and hydrating a couple days in advance, and the morning of, eat a large breakfast, eat till full, then eat some more. Carbs and protein for breakfast, the protein is necessary so your body can use the carbs.

Good luck, and if you ever want to do a road ride, PM me. I have wednesdays and thursdays off these days, and can ride sunday mornings.