Quantcast

time spent on the trainer?

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
yeah ive been working way to much lately and its only left me with time enought to ride my trainer after dark (witch really sucks) but im wondering, this is the 1st time that ive had to replace pavement time with spinning time but how much time per day should i spend on that thing, im typically on it for 30-45 mins some times up to a hour... oh its so fun to sweat like a pig. but how much time do u guys spend on it

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I heard somewhere that an hour is a good max. I usually do between 35-50 min. As for the sweathing....that's riding on a trainer for you. Sometimes I just don't wear a shirt or do it in a cooler place (garage, basement etc). Actually, the cycling team here at my college has a trainer room and because one of the doors/ walls goes right to the outside and the walls are cinderblock, it's the perfect temp, sweating but not hot.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
35-45 min after the HR is up there. Thank God I found XC skiing a few weeks ago, my brain was turning to oatmeal watching Seinfeld/Simpsons/Home Improvement every day between 6-7 pm

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
I generally shoot for 40-60 minutes. Haven't figured out a way to get past the boredom of the 1 hour point.
:stupid: I am only good for 30 minutes at home but I can push 90 minutes at the gym if there is good scenery. I find an MP3 player and an HRM help pass the time.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It helps to have a fan pointed right at you as well. You don't want to know how long I've ridden one. hehehe

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Heidi said:
It helps to have a fan pointed right at you as well. You don't want to know how long I've ridden one. hehehe
Yeah the fan does help, I've heard from people in the know, that riding with a fan on while you ride allows you to work 15-25% harder....which I guess would make sense.....anyone else heard that? :oink:

But I normally spend between one and two hours on the thing depending on what kind of workout I'm doing.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
axlvid23 said:
Yeah the fan does help, I've heard from people in the know, that riding with a fan on while you ride allows you to work 15-25% harder....which I guess would make sense.....anyone else heard that? :oink:

But I normally spend between one and two hours on the thing depending on what kind of workout I'm doing.
I've never heard a certain percentage. I've actually been riding without one on so that I suffer more. :) I'm sick like that.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I'm about to jump on mine now, it's pretty exciting with a broken ankle. I'm not sure to wear my boot or not but the bone is screwed in place...so i figure as long as I'm not pushing with my right leg, it should be fine.

First time back on it I rode 60 min...just cause it's so nice to be able to spin again...

But when the weather is this nice...makes me want to get outside...2 weeks and I don't think I'll be able to contain myself.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
neversummersnow said:
But when the weather is this nice...makes me want to get outside...2 weeks and I don't think I'll be able to contain myself.
Take the trainer outside and spin on the driveway....it's the only way I can contain myself on nice days.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
yeah i generally always am riding without a shirt on, kinda a good way to ruin a good one if i have it on while im on the trainer, the fan idea sounds like something i should look into, i would deffin put it on the drive way if i could but its gravel so it might be a little hard getting it stable out there. thanks for the help.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Echo said:
I generally shoot for 40-60 minutes. Haven't figured out a way to get past the boredom of the 1 hour point.
It's a tossup whether boredom or numb nuts gets to me first. An hour is the max I can handle being on rollers. I ride rollers when I can't ride for real and you tend to not change position as much as on a bolt-on trainer. But I was smart enough to move to Victoria where I can ride year-round. I just managed to sneak in a 1 1/2 hour spin between work and dark. I'll shut up and go away now.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
eh lucky u i dont get off work till 10 30 on weekday nights, and im at school durring the day, i cant wait till summer rolls around and i can work the normal 9-5 again and get to ride in the sun shine. oh yah choice of music.. metallica, or lamb of god, or hatebreed, anything that make ya wannna destroy something

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
jaydee said:
An hour is the max I can handle being on rollers. I
That's pretty impressive. The longest I can last is about 45 minutes before the pain/discomfort is too much too handle. The thing that I love about rollers though is that the workout is usually pretty decent.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
A fan helps majorily, you expend alot of energy trying to keep yourself cool. I find that watching TV helps if i want to stay on for long periods(longer than an hour) some good pounding music never hurts either. The one thing you gotta be careful with is over doing it on the trainer, it's easy to push it to hard, so often on one.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
I have a trainer but only have used it a few times.

It got way too hot, I was pouring sweat most of the time, one time I brought it out on my back porch in the middle of the winter and that worked alright.

I also dont like how the metal roller(on mag, fluid or whatever kinds there are) gets really hot and melts the tire a bit.

In the 2005 bike expo here in sept, I saw some rollers that were hooked up to a fan that would blow air at your face when you pedaled, it was actually pretty powerful.

I have never tried rollers, they look like fun.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I bought a set of rollers last week, prior to this set I have never used a trainer before. My purpose is for heart rate training; I lack whatever it is you need to follow a training plan on the road. I can do a base ride for about an hour but as the ride progresses I am compelled to pedal faster and faster because it’s much more fun. No one will train with me anymore because I always seem to turn it into a race.

I've only got about 4 hours on the trainer so far, the first thing I noticed was numb nuts after about 30 minutes, you cannot stand on rollers so you have to get off for a few minutes to make the needed adjustments. So far I have scrapped the road saddle and put my mtb saddle on instead, this helped the ass cheeks but did nothing for the numb nuts. I then went to Wal-Mart and got those Dr Scholl’s jelly heel cups and placed one upside down on saddle about 3" behind the tip of the saddle nose. This helps allot...

Yesterday I rode for 72 minutes. 6 minutes each warming up and cooling down and 2 30 minute segments of 75% mhr. My rollers do not have any resistance; so far my plan is to use them only for base and endurance cycles. If I need them for strength training I will have to get the optional resistance attachment.