Quantcast

Tinking from a pedal

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Well guy's I have a saint crank and some truvativ pedals and AMR v8 pedals. It seems when I put them on the crank they are fine, but after some hard riding one of them will develop a "tink" when it is on its up stroke and you just start to push it down. happens with both pedals. This wouldnt be coming from the crank by any chance would it?

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
are the steel washers in place between the crankarm and the pedal spindle?
are the threads greased on the pedal spindle?
are all of the chainring bolts tight and greased?
are the BB cups properly installed? (bb shell faced and chased and greased?)
Is the BB/crankarm properly tightened/torqued?

as with any crank and bb improper installation will cause problems down the road....

are you running a front deraileur? check the cable.....

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
The washers are in place.
I havent greased the pedal (will try that)
I'm 90% sure its not the crank,.
I can check the chain ring.

I have to take the bike in tommorow anyways to get the rear disc brake fix as I screwed up and leaked some hydro from it, now the lever needs to be pushed into the grip to stop the bike. Even then it skips on the disc. I might have contaminated the pads also in the leak.

I just hate taking a bike to a bikeshop with a problem I caused becuase I didnt know what I was doing.

I also had the rear wheel come loose in the drop outs and had to tighten it on the road. The allen wrench I used stripped the inside of the nut holding the wheel/free wheel.. arrrrrgghhhhh

CowboyLeo

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
2 oh 2
switch your pedals you got 2 sets right?
or use a buddy's pedals to test it out

if you determine its your pedals
it could be that the bearings or bushings in your pedals are loose or screwy in some way, if your comfortable doing it, I would recommend taking em apart cleaning and tightening them, if that doesn't work you might need new bearings or bushings

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I have two sets. the amr v8's and the truvativ pedals. Both do it. But you can feel it in the pedals. I think they need grease, becuase when you first put hte pedals on it goes away for a while....

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
this same shing happened to me i thought it was the pedals because thats where it felt like it was coming from. try to take off the cranks and clean them with a cleaner/degreaser and then regrease them and put them back on the spindle. it could quite possibly be a small amount of dirt has gotten in between the crankarm and the spindle. but i could be wrong:p