Quantcast

Tire choice for the Whistler bike park?

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Now that the park has been open for a couple of weekends now, what is the hot tire choice for the Whistler bike park?

To be mounted on a 03 Bullit with a 02 Boxxer.

I have a few tires in my tire pile that I can use for a front but most of my rears are done. I think I need to buy something for the rear.

I've read here that the Michelins don't work that well up there?

Front choices:
2.7 Maxxis Mobster 50 compound
2.7 Intense (old version)
2.8 Michelin Comp 32
2.6 Gazzolodi (sp?)

Rears:
2.5 Maxxis Mobster 60 compound
2.5 Michelin Comp 16

On the rear I've also ran 2.6 Kenda Kollosal (hated it), 2.35 Intense (flatted with it even at high pressure), 2.5 Maxxis High Roller (worn out).

So what is the hot Whistler tire set up?

Thanks!

Edit to correct Michelin model number on 2.5 size.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i ran comp16's all last season - great tire.

i'm also using the new kenda blue groove/nevegals on another bike - these tires also kick ass in these conditions...

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Nokian Gazzaloddi's or the new Nokian NBX tires are sick! 2.5, 2.6, or 3.0's depending on terrain and weather.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by bibs
I ride there alot, I ran 2.5 minions and 2.7s lastr year...they were killer and I weigh 220ish
I run a 2.7 minion and 2.5 highroller (front back)...I sometimes run one size narrower for ****s and giggles. (I weight a lot more than 220 and they work great)

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I've run the Gazzi's here and didn't like them, althought the Maxxis 2.7/2.7 F/R worked great for me and a Michi Comp 24 rear worked incredibly. I'll be trying out a Comp 32 F and a Comp 24 R this weekend and see how they do.

Get ahold of me if you're riding the mountain this weekend Roast, I plan on going up but taking it easy as my knee brace still hasn't come in.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
when I was there last year, all I rode was maxxis 2.7 slow reazzy front and rear w/ about 27 psi on mavic 321's. I weight 200lbs. Only 1 pinch flat. They rolled a little slow but was probably the bike too (super 8 with avy front and rear). Goin' next year with a lighter bike:D

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I prefer the bigger tires and beefy rims for whistler. Im also a fat hack so i need the extra girth for day long abuse. Besides, Its not like your racing there...so beef up. Save the skinny stuff for racing.

My "whistler" wheelset is Doublertack rims with maxxis tires. I run the minion 2.7 front ST, and a highroller 2.5 R 60d. This year im also embracing stans. So far havnt had 1 issue, and ive even done a few tire swaps without any trouble. Last season i ran front and rear st minions. The rear wore pretty good being soft rubber. Thats why i went to 60d. I was still using the front up untill a month ago......

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
More info.

I weigh 200lbs, normally use D321 rims, but have a temporary D521 rear, and run about 25 psi front & back with both the Mobsters and Michelins.

What do people dislike about he 2.6 Gaz? I have one that came with a used bike I bought for my wife, but I've never tried it. (The 2.6 Kollosal came with the same bike.)

I looked through my used tire pile and found a useable 2.5 High Roller (60).

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Originally posted by Acadian
Between 140 and 150 lbs
rule of thumb I run 3-4 psi's more on the rear. I vary the front from 22psi to 30psi.
Isn't that high for your weight? Or do racers run higher pressures for lower rolling resistance?

I run ~25psi front and back and most of the guys I ride with consider that high and I weigh 200lbs. 25psi is about as low as I can go with out banging the rim. Since we mostly ride the NS, we are looking for maximum traction.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I had horrible luck with my intense fro on the front...not too good on anything damp...the minion I ran on the back was great though...and I have run gazz's up there with great luck before.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I like Gazzos too. They now make a soft 2.6. There is a review on NSMB.com. Some people hate the Gazzos and some love em. I raced a whole year on them and did real well.
They are a real popular tire in BC where I ride. A lot of people run dual 2.6s or even 3.0 front and 2.6 rear. I have a set of 24s with 3.0 front and 2.6 rear that I like to run once in awhile for tight slow FR.
I do run Maxxis Minion F 2.5 and Highroller 2.5 R both in 60 D.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by bibs
yea, I ran the exact same...and then went to a 2.5 f and a 2.35 rear.....its the goods

we gotta hook up this weekend to ride raosted
That would be cool but it will have to be for beer only. My hamstring isn't ready for dh yet. (I just started spinning)...I should be ready to go by mid june I hope :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I've run the Gazzi's here and didn't like them, althought the Maxxis 2.7/2.7 F/R worked great for me and a Michi Comp 24 rear worked incredibly. I'll be trying out a Comp 32 F and a Comp 24 R this weekend and see how they do.

Get ahold of me if you're riding the mountain this weekend Roast, I plan on going up but taking it easy as my knee brace still hasn't come in.
So soon...wow. I would love to. I tried some riding but I can't stick my ass behind my seat without my hamy seizing up. Can't manual, drop or wheelie drop. If I stay in a neutral position and spin it doesn't hurt much.

BTW we should hookup for pool and beers. And I got some more movies in too :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I currently have 24" gazzaloddi 2.6" tyres on doublewide rims, hope to build up some EX823s and run a comp 32 2.8" up front and a comp 24 2.5" on the back - whaddya reckon?

Acadian - will a 2.5" fit in the rear of a DHi? I presume so, I'd love it if a comp 32 would fit on the back but it doesn't look big enough to me - have you tried?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just came back from a week up there and must put in a vote for intense 909. I ran a 2.7 up front and a 2.5 rear. Yes they're heavy but they roll fine, never pinch, and the lifts are running so it's not like you've got to climb. After the recent rains up there the park is a bit beat up. With the rocky sections, rutted drop landings, and braking bumps in just about every berm, you'll want some burly tires. Unless you ride stuff like Whistler all the time you can't imagine the g-outs and tire flex you get railing that **** at full speed.

And if it rains, you will definitely want to run a little lower pressure, making a tough tire even more necessary.

Intense 4-ply at about 25 psi was the ticket for me, about 200 lbs hitting pretty much everything in the park rain or shine. If you go with a lesser tire, I suggest tubeless.

I also saw a lot of people running Kenda nevegal/blue groove, usually 2.7. But they seem a little light to me.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
- seb said:
I currently have 24" gazzaloddi 2.6" tyres on doublewide rims, hope to build up some EX823s and run a comp 32 2.8" up front and a comp 24 2.5" on the back - whaddya reckon?

Acadian - will a 2.5" fit in the rear of a DHi? I presume so, I'd love it if a comp 32 would fit on the back but it doesn't look big enough to me - have you tried?
the comp 24 2.5" will most definitely fit the DHi.... comp 24 rear comp 32 front is what i ran on my DHi around here. actually the biggest i have tried and got to fit is a gazzi 2.6. the old comp 24 trick thingy...running the tire backwards and cutting the intermediate knobs works well for the rear i've found.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
yeah I'm not a fan of comp 24s, but really like them with the knobs cut off.