Quantcast

tire recommendations

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been making do with some lesser tires. K-rads and assorted dirt tires with the knobs shaved off. I just blew up my last spare tonight and I'm in the market for something tough, slick, and high pressure. I'd like something I can run at ~90 psi.

I keep reading nice things about the schwalbe tires, but I don't see a pressure rating. The KHEs look nice, but I can't afford to spend $50 on one tire.

I also need recommendations on where to buy these things. For the first time in a while I don't work for a company with distributor accounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Most people I know just run xc tires for example small block 8, continental race king, and so forth just because of the lightness and they usualy roll great on the riding surfaces we encounter on trails, parks, street. But for what your looking for other then the Mac 2, I would say go for the Kenda NPJ tire. Stay away from the tempting Kiniptions (sp?) or micro knobbys.. tend to get pretty slick.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have had great luck with the Schwalbe Table Top tires. They grip surprisingly well for how fast they roll. I have to run a lot of pressure because there are a couple tight g-out corners at one of my jump spots and I hate when the tire squirms. I can run them uncomfortably hard and they don't complain. How high that pressure is I have no idea. I know that it's more than 4 bar.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Tires, tires, tires. I have been on the quest for the perfect everything tire for a very long time.

The Schwalbe's are one of the best on the market, and the lightest. However the rubber compound tends to run down quickly if you ride a lot of street.

Kenda has a good selection, the Kineption is great for park, but I ripped two of them riding street. NPJ is good for just about everything, not too heavy either. Small block 8's are great for dirt, but the side wall is just too thin for taking the beating of street and park. I loved having a 2.1 smallblock on the rear, and a 2.3 on the front for dirt; very light as well.

Maxxis has the Holy Rollers which are on the heavy side, but are one of the best tires around that covers everything. They are on the big side, so size down. I am running 85 psi in mine right now. They hook up great in park, street, and dirt. My only complaint thus far is that they are a bit heavy at 775g. Hookworms are stupid heavy, but they are good for just about everything, as long as you don't take your turns at super sharp angles.

Specialized has the Rythym Compound, which is my second favorite, the rubber is thick but pretty light. The tread covers the top and sidewalls. Its a very round tread profile. Hooks up nicely in all applications. But beware when buying, there are two types of these, one with a pro compound that has the Specialized Armedillo lining to prevent flats. (worth the minor extra weight)
Specialized also just released the Rythym Lite which I haven't tried yet, but it looks like it could be the answer to my perfect tire quest. It is super light and can hold a high psi, and the tread looks to be really variable for different applications.

I think if you want something close to slick, and super tough, AND the ability to run high pressure, look at Maxxis, or Specialized.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41812&menuItemId=9304&eid=5098

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42233&menuItemId=9304&eid=5098

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=44024&menuItemId=9304&eid=5098

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Holy-Roller.aspx

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Hookworm.aspx

Hope any of that helped.

fletch_tx

Chimp
Dec 15, 2003
Austin, TX
anyone know if the table top's run well as a tubeless tire? I know they don't make a UST specific, but I can get quite a few non-UST tires to run tubeless.

It would need to have a reasonably thick sidewall for starters...

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Thanks for all the help guys. I forgot to mention the size. I am looking for 24".

I've got a line on a used fs100. If that falls through I think I'll bite the bullet and buy an aitken or a khe.
Anything below 70psi feels super slow to me in the park.

Get rubber tires/tyres. Which ever you may prefer.
You are useless.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
anyone know if the table top's run well as a tubeless tire? I know they don't make a UST specific, but I can get quite a few non-UST tires to run tubeless.

It would need to have a reasonably thick sidewall for starters...
They're kind of thin. I wouldn't do it.

I also have no idea why you'd want to run them tubeless anyway.

I've been riding the tabletops for a while and I really like them. I keep them around 60psi with no problems.

edit: nevermind. I don't know shlt about 20s.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Thanks for all the help guys. I forgot to mention the size. I am looking for 24".

I've got a line on a used fs100. If that falls through I think I'll bite the bullet and buy an aitken or a khe.
Anything below 70psi feels super slow to me in the park.

You are useless.
I am of no such thing. Maybe my comment was non constructive, but I for one am not useless.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
NOOOOO that tire setup you had was awesome...

I am a big fan of the intense micro's but i am not positive they make them in 24...I might be able to hook you up man...let me check into it.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
NOOOOO that tire setup you had was awesome...

I am a big fan of the intense micro's but i am not positive they make them in 24...I might be able to hook you up man...let me check into it.
The shaved Specie dh tire is still holding in the front, but the arrow in the rear 'sploded after I tried to cut the knobs down. I'm picking up a used specialized tire or two, so at least It'll match now.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The Odessey Plite path in the rear and the Plite Aitken up front.. probably the best combo for what you are looking for.
They make the Micro Knobby in 24 but I think the widest is 1.85

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Any more input on 24" tires? I'm running 24.2.3 K-Rads on my 24" wheels right now. They're good tires, but I'm interested in trying something lighter.... I still want nice big tires though. I wish specialized made the rythm lite in 24". I have some of the 26" ones, and they are really nice tires. Big, yet very light.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
24" Schwable Table Tops
Maybe... A little to aggressive a tread pattern, perhaps. I'm going to be riding a lot of street and park.
Small block 8s
I'm a little leery of these on the street too.
KHE Mac2 dirts or parks depending on the tread you need
Expensive, require 90+ psi, and the largest size is 2.1. Still on my list though.
The dirts aren't really light enough to justify the price, either.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I just put tabletops on my liquid. I went with the steel bead and not the folding... but they're still quite a bit lighter than than the dmr moto rts I had on there. Tread is great for dirt and would probably be fine for street and park.

I ran a small block in the rear for awhile... but I ended up getting holes in a couple of them. I think the sidewalls cut too easily.

Another tire to think about would be the halo twin rails. That was always my favorite tire on 26s. The rubber compound is kind of soft... but they are so good and FAST on trails.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I just put tabletops on my liquid. I went with the steel bead and not the folding... but they're still quite a bit lighter than than the dmr moto rts I had on there. Tread is great for dirt and would probably be fine for street and park.

I ran a small block in the rear for awhile... but I ended up getting holes in a couple of them. I think the sidewalls cut too easily.

Another tire to think about would be the halo twin rails. That was always my favorite tire on 26s. The rubber compound is kind of soft... but they are so good and FAST on trails.
the Table Tops are great on street I run them on my 26 and are super light, wear really well.
DMR moto rt's weigh a ton

the Twin Rails are fast but really heavy especially in a 24"

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007