Quantcast

tired of fighting the wind when DJing

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
I need to find another place to play. Willing to put in shovel time.

Shells is too windy. Can't get there before work. Evenings are always gusty. I stole away for a long lunch today... just as bad. Calabasas is too far (too much traffic, actually) for during the weekbefore/during/after work.

A non-jumper told me he saw some jumps at Arastradero, up on top of some hill. That sounds like it'd be windy, too.

Where in midpen area can I find a pack of doubles that isn't buffeted by crosswinds/headwinds? (Prevailing tailwinds are fine.)

Where are those "jumps at Stanford" I've seen pics of on this site? Are they sheltered from wind, or will I just have to get used to being a human sail?

--Been
been cussing the wind for weeks now

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Stanford jumps are tiny. There is one decent hip and a small double, then a big table with a ****ty run up. It really isn't much, but it's fun to session with a few friends. I'm new to the area so I don't know the spots well, but MSDHW.com should give you better info....bay area site.

Good luck, and yes the wind sucks.

The Ito

version_8

Chimp
May 19, 2003
norcal
Cali is your best bet for some action, always peeps around to ride with as well. Then theres reddevil out in union city if your up for fun lippy stuff. Stanford is a waste of your time.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by version_8
Cali is your best bet for some action, always peeps around to ride with as well. Then theres reddevil out in union city if your up for fun lippy stuff. Stanford is a waste of your time.
Anyone have more info/pics of this "red devil" place... I've heard it's pretty burly. Is it worth going to check out?

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by Damn True
in a word, big
Ha... ok that's what I had heard. Care to be a little more descriptive though? How many jumps? How big? Public or private? MTB friendly? Etc...

Pics would be nice if anyone has them.

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
Ok. found info. it's a BMX area. steep stuff. It's kinda like the place in Walnut Creek I found. Locals only (unless you are skilled enough to hit everything). Note the starting ramp on the far right.

props to eshaun for diggin up the pic

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
luc, im going to be home for the summer next week. i'll probably be out at cali almost every day that im not at a race throughout the summer. glad to hear you finally took your panties off and started riding some dirt jumps :) definitely bring your bike to work and we'll ride every day. i know of some cool xc stuff in south san jose as well.

red devil is the ****. hands down the best place in the area. you can definitely ride an mtb there without worries, if you link up two sets and berm off a roll in and jump two jumps backwards you can make like 22 jumps or something along those lines. there are no "warm up" lines. exactly how it should be. the first jump starts off lippy and you only have to pedal once in the main set and a little bit more if you want to keep going after the roll in. im always down to go out there and some friends of mine are too. if anyone wants to check that place out, and get some skills that cali can't offer, let me know and i'll show you. once you get going, they flow pretty well.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by beaverbiker
red devil is the ****. hands down the best place in the area. you can definitely ride an mtb there without worries, if you link up two sets and berm off a roll in and jump two jumps backwards you can make like 22 jumps or something along those lines. there are no "warm up" lines. exactly how it should be. the first jump starts off lippy and you only have to pedal once in the main set and a little bit more if you want to keep going after the roll in. im always down to go out there and some friends of mine are too. if anyone wants to check that place out, and get some skills that cali can't offer, let me know and i'll show you. once you get going, they flow pretty well.
Sounds rad... so the pic East Bay Rich posted, is that red devil or those "280-380" jumps he was talking about?

byklvr

Chimp
May 24, 2005
I'm down to fix all the overgrowth and f*cked up lines, pm me if you're down to fix up Red Devil. We'll figure out a plan. :evil:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
so, uhhhh I guess I've been out of the loop, when did cali re-open? Is it as good as it always was?

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
scurban said:
so, uhhhh I guess I've been out of the loop, when did cali re-open? Is it as good as it always was?
Cali is still closed. I live a few blocks from it and the damn fence is still up :angry: It's not supposed to open again till sometime next year... better than never i suppose

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
the shady 280 jumps are behind Mollie Stones in San Bruno I am pretty sure, they are huge and a little overgrown, but if you brought a shovel with you, in 30 min. you could be hitting most of them, I haven't been there in a long time though, some local guys were talking about fixing them up but I don't know if they did, the last time I went was in the winter, it seems like not many people go there any more. But how would these Red Devil trails compare to shady 280?