Quantcast

Tires for Mt.Snow DH

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Im leaving wed. for the races, people have told me that VT might as well have mud fall from the skies, will my 2.8/2.5 Michy combo be ok, or should i consider some mud tires? BTW ill be the tall guy in a beat up red marzo hat on a nicolai, just incase youre there and want to say hi, or punch me for some jackassed comment ive posted :p

biker3

Turbo Monkey
those should work fine except I might consider a smaller setup in the front. Maybe 2.5, 2.5. If ur worried then go ahead and get a 2.1 mud comp for the rearor whatever the small model michy makes. 2.5s shoudl be good but I dono about a 2.8 I would think thatd be a little large for sufficiant mud traction. Ive never ridden there but from the vids ive seen it looks like a lot of them are running very small rear tires and fairly small front ones. Best of luck I wish I were going!

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
ViolentVolante said:
Im leaving wed. for the races, people have told me that VT might as well have mud fall from the skies, will my 2.8/2.5 Michy combo be ok, or should i consider some mud tires? BTW ill be the tall guy in a beat up red marzo hat on a nicolai, just incase youre there and want to say hi, or punch me for some jackassed comment ive posted :p
you'll probably be fine with that, if you have a bigger (not 2.1) mud tire, i may throw that on in the rear -- listening to two "racer boi's" talk about Snow the consensus seemed to be a larger tire, or larger mud tire is a good thing. hope this is useful!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Being one of said racer boys, let me reply. Are you racing beg/sport or expert?
The expert course has lots of grass, and high speed sections that make a large volume wide-spaced knob tire your friend. The comp 32 is dope at snow, but the Intense Intruder is pretty much king of Snow. 2.7/2.5 minion f's are rad too.

FWIW I placed 2nd last year in Sport on a comp32/24 setup. Didn't need the big front tire, but I don't think it made the difference between first and 2nd...

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
my own personal experience on that course says bigger tires ususally are better, even in the mud...I used to argue against this, but mechanics I have talked to say a 2.5 to 2.7 is good, with maybe some knobs removed for mud....I used the michelin mud tires there(2.2) and they were excellent....I also used 2.7 Intense front/maxxis highroller2.5 back there and they were incredible, but it wasnt as muddy....and there is alot of very fast open slope that is pretty choppy, and some very rocky sections, so dont go with too skimpy a tire....personally, if I were you, I would stick with the michelins you have on...I have seen waaaaaaaaaaay too many flats and trashed wheels at Mt Snow to ever go too skinny on the tires(although 2.2 mud tire is pretty small, it was on a dblwide so it widened it a bit)...ggod luck, see you there....