Quantcast

Tires

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I just recently took the next step in mountain biking, with my purchase of a Specialized FSRxc Comp. It is a FANTASTIC bike. It came with stock tires, Specialized Resolutions. Mountain Bike Action magazine raved about these tires in their Sept 2007 issue.

Unfortunately, no one has ever explained to me all the tire choices out there and what all the numbers mean. 2.0, 2.1, 2.3… etc. (I understand the 26” and 29” part) I am a weekend warrior and like pushing myself on singletrack, and love climbs.

Should I look into getting better or bigger tires? How do you figure out what tires are best for who? I think there are about 2,000 different types out there.

I am happy with the Resolutions now, but maybe there is better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-=R0b=-

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Tires are really a personal preference and depend a lot on the terrain that you will be riding. The numbers (2.0, 2.1, 2.35, etc.) are the size of the tire width. That being said, some tire manufacturers measure differently than other (i.e. I have had 2.2 and 2.35" tires that are the same width). The wider the tire and the bigger the knobs, the greater the rolling resistance and vice versa.

I like a wider tire and stickier compound for riding in the northeast because I tend to ride lots of technical trails with rocks & roots and like the added traction. However, when I rode in the desert, narrower tires with smaller knobs were the best (less rolling resistance and didn't slow me down in the sand as much). I am personally a fan of Kenda tires and run a bunch of different ones. I have the Kenda Kinetics in Stick-E in 2.35" on my all mountain bike and on my SS, I also have some UST Kharismas (2.1) for racing in a harder compound and I run the Kenda Kinetics 2.6" for DHing. I have also had good luck with some Michelin tires and Maxxis too. Now that I am a Kenda supported rider, I only run Kendas and haven't had any reason to look elsewhere.

Hopefully that helps...if you have more questions, post them up!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Hard to argue with TreeSaw, Kenda does make a good tire. I also like WTB and ride a 2.5 front/2.35 rear combo on my hardtail. The bigger tires provide some cushion cause I ride in the same NE conditions, LOTS of rocks. Speed isn't an issue with me, personally, I'd be slow with any tire!

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Thank you to both TreeSaw and X3pilot.

I am not yet a serious enough biker to be changing tires based on what terrian I am riding on (I hope to be that good one day). I am just looking for a good set of tires that will allow me to maximize my riding on whatever surface. I can start to specialize later!

It seems that Kenda is the way to go. Would you recommend the “Kenda Kinetics in Stick-E in 2.35”” and just go with them? They got so-so reviews on MTBR. ( http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_23259.shtml )

What does having two different widths on the front and back offer?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I run different widths because on my hardtail, a 2.5 wouldn't clear the seat stays. Wish it was a more technical riding advantage answer but simply the truth..wouldn't fit. To make it even worse, they're two different brand tires with different tread patterns. But I lucked on a combo that worked for me. Until I got a better front fork, the bigger front tire helped in the rock gardens. The difference is really not all that noticeable with the different widths.

Ability and tires are irrelevant, IMO. Find the tires that work best for your conditions and then play around trying others. I buy a lot of tires from friends and from my LBS when they change out tires that aren't completly worn out. I'm not cheap but I don't like paying $40 just to try a tire i might not like.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I am happy with the Resolutions now
I think that is a key statement. If you're happy with them, keep riding what you've got.

As was said earlier... tires are very much about personal preference. I love trying new tires and have been through a bunch the last few years. What works well ultimately depends on the terrain you're riding, how hard you push them, and how much you weight.

Probably the best thing you can do is to find a few local riders and ask what they like/dislike for the kind of terrain you are riding. What works well out here (in the northeast) probably isn't a good options for the southwest, so it really depends on a lot of factors.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Thank you to both TreeSaw and X3pilot.

I am not yet a serious enough biker to be changing tires based on what terrian I am riding on (I hope to be that good one day). I am just looking for a good set of tires that will allow me to maximize my riding on whatever surface. I can start to specialize later!

It seems that Kenda is the way to go. Would you recommend the “Kenda Kinetics in Stick-E in 2.35”” and just go with them? They got so-so reviews on MTBR. ( http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_23259.shtml )

What does having two different widths on the front and back offer?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Glad to help out. I would figure out where you're going to be riding the tires first and check with other riders to see what they're using on those particular trails. I would hate to tell you to get a tire and have it not be good for the terrain you're on and have you waste the $.

As for the Kinetics, we got a batch of the Kinetics that were only single-ply and had some issues with the sidewalls and pinchflatting in rocks (when DHing) but Kenda now offers the DTC (Dual Tread Compound) and the newer Kinetics I have (in 2.6" for DHing) haven't had any issues. Reviews will be mixed, I really think it's personal preference and the terrain you're riding on.