Quantcast

To hell with 'professional' jobs

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Naw, I just say too hell with jobs that require college degrees and advanced certification that tell you over and over you are a "professional" when you are treated like crap. I've had hard manual labor jobs where the company treated me right/good, and that was always a better job than the "professiona" one that treated me like crap.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Naw, I just say too hell with jobs that require college degrees and advanced certification that tell you over and over you are a "professional" when you are treated like crap. I've had hard manual labor jobs where the company treated me right/good, and that was always a better job than the "professiona" one that treated me like crap.
:think:

It goes both ways, chief.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The problem is when you do what you love all day every day, you don't really love it that much anymore. It's just a job. And if it's going to be just a job, I'll take the highest paying one out there that is reasonably interesting and challenging.

You really love your job? Really really? You are the rarest of the rare, a horny hooker.
If you really love it, it will never be just a job. Yes, I love my job. I look forward to going every day.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
3 x 12 hour nights a week in the ICU/CTICU leaves me plenty of time to ride/work on the house/goof around with the dog/whatever. As an RN in this environent, I consider myself "grey collar" not that it really matters or that I give a rats ass.

My occupation is a means to an end. I love what I do, but it's not my life, and I don't define myself by it. Physically, intellectually, emotionally challenged in my work. Very happy. Let's me live the rest of my life pretty much how I want. Take the best care of my patients that I can. Seeing the direct results of what I do is nice, whatever the end outcome.

Bonus: I get to go to work in glorified pajamas. My work clothing budget is nearly non-existant.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
:think:

It goes both ways, chief.
What the hell does that mean? You tell someone they are professional and then you pay them high-school diploma wages? You can't have it both ways. Either you have distriminate hiring practices and REALLY treat people like professionals, or you realize exactly what your "full time some of the time" and "fast-food wages" job really means in terms of professionalism. Botom line, don't tell people they are "professionals" when you treat them like crap. It's only a slap in the face.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Screw Hawaiian shirts and bike rides.

Why can't I drink beer at work? That's what I want to know!

Not get drunk or anyting, but hell, changing my oil or cutting the grass is just fine with a beer. I dont want to imagine completing either task without.

I sorta can... Well not my day job but my evening job, I'm a craft beer importer so while schmoozing bar/restaurant/supermarket owners to buy my beer its kinda expected. :weee: