Quantcast

To replace a tire or not?

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I was out riding this morning in the rain when I heard a car coming up behind me so I got to the right. I didnt realize the white stuff on the side of the road was broken marbel. I thought it was sheet rock. I was not able to go around it because at that same time the car was passing me.

Needless to say I got a flat. Should I replace the tire and the tube or just the tube? The tire has only about 100 miles on it. Just not sure if it would be ok to ride afterwards.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A lot of folks just use some superglue to seal up little nicks/cuts in the tire. If it a large gash(large enough to flare up the sides of the cut), then I would probably replace it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
my tires are chewed up from debris.

The decision should always come down to safety! If you're not doing my climbing and speeds almost never get too high, then the safety factor isn't as critical. If the tire is questionable and money is an issue, put the tire on the back... always put the better tire on the front.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
CrAckErKorEan said:
...the fact that it only had about 100 miles on it and it cost more than a car tire hurts the wallet a bit.
No kiding. If you paid that much, I'm sure more than just your wallet is hurting :eek:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
CrAckErKorEan said:
Well my car tires are cheap. 45 bucks. Its a beater civic and as long as they hold air im good.
Uhh, what tires are you using that are $40+?

I'm pleased with my Vredstein Fortezzas for $20-25. So much so that I bought three more and put a set on my g/f's bike.

dok9874

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Houston, Texas
if you're going to spring for new tires, I highly recommend checking ebay. I was flatting CONSTANTLY and a friend suggested I try Michelin Pro Race 2. Got a set for 60 and change including shipping. There are tons of new tires for sale. (oh, and I haven't had a flat since I changed out the tires. Yay!)

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
the pro race 2's are very nice, but they are quite soft, so they wear fast. If you are looking for a grippy tire, excellent choice. Continental also makes some very sweet tires.