Quantcast

Toke up, hippies!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if he spent a year doing research for the show, then hes doing it wrong. i am glad they went with the "feel good" story of the little girl being cured by CBD's but i still would have liked to see more diverse ailments being helped by marijuana

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
if he spent a year doing research for the show, then hes doing it wrong. i am glad they went with the "feel good" story of the little girl being cured by CBD's but i still would have liked to see more diverse ailments being helped by marijuana
It's (barley) 43 minutes on CNN, not the BBC producing a Charlotte Bronte novel, lower your expectations. Frankly I think it's pretty amazing to see "mainstream" media give it even what they did.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's (barley) 43 minutes on CNN, not the BBC producing a Charlotte Bronte novel, lower your expectations. Frankly I think it's pretty amazing to see "mainstream" media give it even what they did.
while it is amazing that a mainly left news station is broadcasting something like this, ive seen better 20-30 documentaries by Vice or other online media sources that didnt put a year into their research. it was nice to hear this tv doctor publicly say on DoucheBag Morgan's show that he was wrong in telling people marijuana had no medicinal use.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
while it is amazing that a mainly left news station is broadcasting something like this, ive seen better 20-30 documentaries by Vice or other online media sources that didnt put a year into their research. it was nice to hear this tv doctor publicly say on DoucheBag Morgan's show that he was wrong in telling people marijuana had no medicinal use.
But the other Morgan on CNN said it helped a lot people:

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/17/piers-morgan-and-morgan-spurlock-on-medical-marijuana-and-inside-man/

Spurlock detailed cases in which the marijuana helped those who took it as directed:

"There were people who were on six, seven different medications, that once they started going to the clinic, taking whatever cannabis they were prescribed by the doctor, suddenly they're off all this medication. Soldiers who were coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan who were so medicated they couldn't even function around their family members, couldn't even connect with them. Now suddenly can have a life back."
Full episode:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
how many people pull up the vice web streams vs people that watch cnn. cnn also has a drastically different demograph than vice or high times, which is the important differentiation here.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how many people pull up the vice web streams vs people that watch cnn. cnn also has a drastically different demograph than vice or high times, which is the important differentiation here.
my point wasnt about how many people they reach, its about a a fluff piece that took a year to research...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my point wasnt about how many people they reach, its about a a fluff piece that took a year to research...
the fact is that it still came from a mainstream news source - regardless of the parent station's bias - and that's a big step in the right direction. could it have been more detailed and had more first hand accounts? absolutely. but you should definitely be concerned not just about how many people they reach - but the kind of audience they are reaching. the kind of person that will watch a documentary on vice probably doesn't need to be convinced that pot should be legalized. the average cnn viewer... much higher probability they still don't favor legalization. having CNN put this kind of information in front of them is most definitely a step in the right direction at convincing some people that are on the fence regarding the topic.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Got my ballot in the mail the other day. Still not sure where I sit on this one. I'd be curious to know how much it costs the state to "regulate and enforce" liquor laws, if that's the example were going to use.

Colorado is preparing for the state’s first recreational marijuana stores to open this January. In the meantime, voters still have the final say on how the new product will be taxed through Proposition AA.

The statewide ballot measure would place an excise and special sales tax on marijuana. Right now, Proposition AA is dividing the marijuana community which had shown solidarity a year ago in the fight to approve legalization through Amendment 64.

“This is the right thing to do to fund the oversight structure to really fulfill the promise of taxing this product,” said Brian Vicente with the group Sensible Colorado.

Vincente was one of the lead architects of the legalization effort. He’s now heading up the campaign pushing for new taxes.

Amendment 64 required an excise tax be set on the product to raise money for school construction. The exact amount of that tax was left up to state lawmakers and after months of debate this year they settled on 15 percent.

But they went one step further – adding on a 10 percent sales tax to help pay for regulation. It’s the additional tax that has split the marijuana community.

“Just remember, that if you don’t use it, you won’t pay it. Let’s go fight and win,” said Rick Ridder of the Committee for Responsible Regulation.

The No on AA Campaign says a 10 percent statewide sales tax is too steep, especially when local communities will have their own separate sales taxes on top of that.

There’s a feeling that high taxes will only force customers back into the black market, rather than the newly legalized marketplace. That’s something attorney and marijuana advocate Robert Corry agrees with.

“The perception is that if you’re not a marijuana smoker this won’t affect you. That’s not true,” Corry said. “The reemergence of the underground market is going to impact your life negatively.”

“There’s no evidence we need these taxes to regulate marijuana. The numbers were picked arbitrarily. It’s just a money grab by government,” Corry said.

State lawmakers, like Senator Pat Steadman (D-Denver), say they’ve worked hard to strike the right balance.

“Some of our presumptions and projects are going to need to be revisited down the road," Steadman said.

Still Steadman says it’s a work in progress because it’s the first regulated marijuana market in the country.

“We need to see what the volume of sales will be, the prices,” Steadman said. “We don’t have all the information right now.”

As far as the marijuana industry is concerned most members are behind the tax. Sensible Colorado's Vicente says the owners of retail marijuana businesses also want to show federal regulators they’re serious and want to be taxed just like everyone else.

“It’s just common sense, if we are going to sell this product like alcohol and make sure there’s a good regulatory structure in place,” Vicente said.

Supporters of Proposition AA have significantly more cash on hand than opponents like Robert Corry’s group. He says the tax debate is healthy, and it’s not unusual to have disagreements within the marijuana world.

“The marijuana community is rarely unified on anything, they’re free thinkers and not pigeon holed easily,” Corry said. “We have a lot of different temperaments; we don’t operate in lock step.”

Regardless of the outcome, Corry says marijuana users will move beyond what he calls a family spat. Proposition AA has polled well and is expected to easily pass this fall.

If Proposition AA doesn’t pass, lawmakers say they’ll have to come up with the money for enforcement from somewhere else. Even if it fails, recreational marijuana stores are slated to open in some Colorado communities Jan. 1.
http://krcc.org/post/voters-weigh-colorado-marijuana-taxes
FWIW:
Tax Rates
Colorado liquor excise tax rates are as follows:
8¢ per gallon for 3.2% Beer
8¢ per gallon for Malt Liquor (beer)
8¢ per gallon for Hard Cider (apple and pear only)
7.33¢ per liter for Vinous Liquor
60.26¢ per liter for Spirituous Liquor
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251864835523&ssbinary=true
Edit:
Comparing marijuana and alcohol tax rates is a challenge, McAllister acknowledges, because "tax rates on alcohol are somewhat complicated. It's sixty cents on a liter, and most people buy one-and-a-half liter bottles. But from our assessment, you pay between 10 and 15 percent tax on alcohol if you include all the special taxes.

"Now, for marijuana, the first 15 percent is a tax on the wholesale from the grower to the retailer -- but our sense is that most of these operations will likely pass that on to the consumer. Then, the retailer will have to charge an additional 10 percent tax on top of all the regular taxes, and some local governments are adding another 5 percent on top of that. So marijuana consumers will effectively be paying 30-40 percent taxes on this product, and that amounts to a windfall for the legislature -- taxes that are two to three times the rate of alcohol."

Although no one knows at this point how much revenue recreational marijuana sales will generate, McAllister cites a Blue Book prediction of $130 million annually. "Even if you take $40 million off the top for schools" -- Amendment 64 establishes that a significant chunk of revenues go toward school construction -- "you're still left with $90 million for a regulator that currently has a budget of about $5 million. And even if you quadruple that budget, you're still at two or three times the tax revenue you need to fund all of that."

http://www.coloradonorml.org/news/colorado-norml-board-opposes-recreational-pot-tax-measure

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
:drag:
For marijuana advocates, the last 12 months have been a period of unprecedented success as Washington and Colorado became the first states to legalize recreational use of marijuana. And now for the first time, a clear majority of Americans (58%) say the drug should be legalized. This is in sharp contrast to the time Gallup first asked the question in 1969, when only 12% favored legalization.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165539/first-time-americans-favor-legalizing-marijuana.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All Gallup Headlines - Government - Politics

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I voted to tax it. Hopefully they can find a way to make the taxes reasonable, because if they are too high this is just going to go to private growers and illegal sources.

edit: I am however voting against the new tax for schools. It's being sold as $155/household, for the 'average household' of $53k income. I'm looking at ~$3k/y of additional taxes. That puts me back into California levels at 9% total. Given they are talking only $1k/y per student, that is a net loss for us based on what will be going to Haley.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
A third bill takes the role of a state marijuana rights catch-all. The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act aims to codify the recent DOJ announcement that the federal government will not interfere at this time with states that have legalized marijuana. The legislation would bar the federal government from prosecuting people who use and purchase marijuana in legalized states. It now has 20 cosponsors, including four Republicans.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/11/high-hopes-the-marijuana-movements-2014-playbook/281830/