Quantcast

tokul maps?

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Does anybody have some type of map or know where I can find some? I wanted to go riding this weekend and was planning on taking the wife along but have no idea about any of the trails around there. Any help would be great thanks

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Let's see, there's several places on the web you can find one but I don't think it's actually on the BBTC site. The one that's floating around is the older MS map from about 2003 sot here are several new trails since then but that gives you the general idea and also shows how you can connect East and West to Griffin for the uber area. The Sammamish cycle website has had it for years as well as Joel's site at mountainmojo.com and a few other places.

Key words like Snoqualmie Tree farm will, help.

Even with the maps, which are very accurate btw, people still get lost all the time and just ride miles of roads. If you end up un Gold Bar, you've gone to far... :)

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Hey ya'll,

I have the updated map from Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance *BUT* I am trying to get a hint of where Crazy Ivan is. East or West Tokul?

"I just wanna go have some fun! " :D

Aside from Flowtron, are there any other mandatory trails to hit up for those inclined to the fun and technical? If so, post up!

UPDATED MAP (for the threads sake) http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Tokul_-_Griffin_2009_topo.jpg

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
North of the power lines in Tokul East. Or, just hike up the first trail exit you see to you left heading east on the SVT. ;)

They're all good. But, I'm partial to some more than others.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
North of the power lines in Tokul East. Or, just hike up the first trail exit you see to you left heading east on the SVT. ;)
Do NOT hike up the trail....

A. riders come down it at a high rate of speed and...
B. it gets really loose this time of year and hiking up it will do it no favors.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
crazy ivans isn't my bag, baby. I just rode this today and was reminded that I don't like that trail so much. WAY too much brakes needed at the top, then it starts to flow, then it's over...:(

Kinda feel the same way about FLowtron. it doesn't seem long enough, just when you get into it, it's over.

It seems to me, with my limited knowledge of the area, that there is way too much up hill for downhill rewards. Maybe Tokul west would suit me better....

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch

They're all good. But, I'm partial to some more than others.
Soo.... I take it, "North" is on the left side of the powerlines (see the map) and just below the Tokul East letters and the upper fireroad? Is Ivan's the trail at the end of that same fireroad, or the one further East that has a bunch of other trails juncturing into it? (yes, that's a real word, trust me :happy:)

Stick with the East side stuff and leave the West to the lycra clad crowd, no offense?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Sorry EB, I was kinda being sarcastic. Hiking up is dumb...

Yeah, PNJ is right, it's all terrible. Go ride Tiger. It's better. ;)

Boxxer. All the descents off the climb are fun in their own right. And, the climb isn't that bad. Most do it at least twice and often 3 times. Make sure to hit Safety First as well. It recently got some love.

West is a bigger area and has "longer" descents but they are shallower and more XC oriented and built to be ridable both ways. Though there are a few more advanced shorter P lines out there. The biggest complaint about West is too much road or getting lost because the trails are more spread out.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Dang, if anyplace has room to grow, Tokul sure does.

Just glance at the green in the upper right! [LINK] The existing trails are tiny in comparison! There's just that small detail about hours and hours and hours of advocacy and digging..... hrm.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up. Heading out there tomorrow to tool around with some friends. Pop on out and say hello!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I live 10 minutes away and would be willing to give you the tour. It's a fun place. I should be available around 3:30. Hit me up if that timeframe works for ya.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I live 10 minutes away and would be willing to give you the tour. It's a fun place. I should be available around 3:30. Hit me up if that timeframe works for ya.
Cool Cool! We are rolling a little later (my boss is going, so I can't leave too early. We are headed out from Mukilteo at 4, maybe 4:30pm and picking up one person along the way just off 405.

Where do you park at East? The gun range?

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Dang, if anyplace has room to grow, Tokul sure does.

Just glance at the green in the upper right! The existing trails are tiny in comparison! There's just that small detail about hours and hours and hours of advocacy and digging..... hrm.
Room to expand out there? Absolutely. However, look at a topo map. The only area with any real elevation change (at East) is the ridgeline that has the current descents - Gun Range, LF, FT3k, OGDH, etc. Those descents are short because the total elevation drop is small overall. Once up top, the area remains mostly flat.

Tokul West has more area and some killer descents, but it's harder to navigate and more pedaling.

Tokul East is what it is....a fun place to ride the AM bikes in the winter. Once the bigger rides open up and the glacial til gets really loose from lack o' rain, it's time to hit the other rides until Fall. At least that's been our schedule the last 5+ years. Eithe way, I like both areas.

EB

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
We will be out at Tokul East today, figure about six pm. Come out and ride, join the group!

Look for me. I am like 500 lbs, six-twenty and riding a white Rotec. :D Well, the last part is true.

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
Tokul was good time, I even came home with a little bit of it in my arms and legs (don't ask). :rolleyes:

Great area to get out and ride and as others have suggested, awesome winter place to ride. Still, if you have not been there, you have several days of riding between all three 'hills'.

The parking lot at Tokul East was full and everyone, aside from my poor brother, was swinging 5" + travel. That said, whatever you bring you will get to pedal up the fireroad.

There be some FUN out at Tokul!

F.M.

Chimp
Mar 4, 2005
Seattle
It is pretty weird to see people riding such big bikes there.
Nothing wrong with it, "ride what you brought", right? I'm not hatin' on that!:thumb:

Just maybe consider that ~everything~ there has been hit smoothly on hardtails or light all-mountain bikes. Riding a lighter bike means you can do more laps at east or maybe add some west to your loop. It's not unheard of to bang out 8-12 laps on the tokul east trails...

Just also want to add that there are some very territorial local property owners adjacent to both tokul east and west. That's a large part of the reason you won't find maps on the web- the builders have had run-ins and you may too if you ride there frequently.

~*.... So please exercise courtesy and discretion*~ ;)

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
It is pretty weird to see people riding such big bikes there.
Nothing wrong with it, "ride what you brought", right? I'm not hatin' on that!:thumb:

Just maybe consider that ~everything~ there has been hit smoothly on hardtails or light all-mountain bikes. Riding a lighter bike means you can do more laps at east or maybe add some west to your loop. It's not unheard of to bang out 8-12 laps on the tokul east trails...

Just also want to add that there are some very territorial local property owners adjacent to both tokul east and west. That's a large part of the reason you won't find maps on the web- the builders have had run-ins and you may too if you ride there frequently.

~*.... So please exercise courtesy and discretion*~ ;)
Great attitude and for the most part, I agree!

Last edited:

jojotherider

Chimp
Jul 9, 2008
Snoqualmie
is tokul east suitable for some newbies? I'm still feel like a beginner on a mtb and want to explore beyond Soaring Eagle which is a pretty tame ride. Tokul is much closer to my house also. I've got a couple buddies that are pretty new to this as well and we aren't quite ready for anything super big and technical.

-joel

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Lots of fun XC type trails around the pond in the lower East section that the gravity set usually just don't ride. Both my kids have had a great time there.

West has some "typical" PNW single track with most trails being bi-directional by design. So, yep, if Beav is boring, by all means head over there. If you are up on the ridge, you can also enter from behind the tennis courts across from the Salish at the falls and get a little warm up on your way over.

The map posted here in this thread is also very accurate. Though a couple trails are, "missing".

jojotherider

Chimp
Jul 9, 2008
Snoqualmie
ok thanks for the replies. i think we're set on checking it out tomorrow. does the trail head have a gate or anything? don't want to get our cars stuck out there while we're riding.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Nope. Just park off the side of the road on 356th at the SVT or at the tennis courts across from the Salish and up the hill and take that trail across to the SVT and turn left then right to get into the trail system.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
This place seems like it'd be fun to check out...unfortunately sounds like I'll hate myself riding the SX Trail...hah.

Thanks for posting the maps by the way!

~Scott

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
dude, i don't know about that. probably better with an enduro with Deemax's and a super monster
Your probably right.

And yeah Damien, that's the plan. I was never "done" with riding, just taking a break. After rolling the Jeep, and rebuilding, I've got some more time for biking.

~Scott

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Tokul is fun on anything with two wheels.. I've ridden all of my bikes out there and had a blast every time. The funniest I saw was a kid out there on a bmx bike with no grips and a coaster brake in the pouring rain. Somehow he made it down flowtron without crashing! At least he had a stocking cap under his helmet for added protection :)