Quantcast

Too Many Pics - Sea Otter Classic 2008

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
// edit: I've redone my gallery since. These photos are now here, http://gallery.pbmedia.us/p318296820

After leaving his house in Orange County at probably 7:30 and rushing to get his gearbox bike done all night, Colin picked me up Thursday morning at my house. We threw my bikes on and loaded up all my stuff.

Colin driving

There was a fire not far from the race. Surprisingly, it didn't cause Smoke Otter.

Arriving at $ea Otter

After he practiced slalom and I practiced downhill, we set up camp. I had some new stakes to replace the thin/ready-to-bend ones that came with my tent. FAIL.

On Friday morning, I shot the Pro/Semi DH practice.

The 30' gap. A lot of people were just clearing to the flat deck...then bouncing a bit.

The berm after that and 3 jumps

I saw Ianjenn there.

Brad of Nemesis Project

They are now using Kowa forks.

We went to the Premier of Clay Porter's new movie, First.

Looking through the window

Walking through the door

After the movie...

Total Heckler

Dylan Dean :rofl:

Brendan Fairclough

Sam Hill (on the left)

Rachel Atherton (right)

The VAS sample dvd

Another one!

Clay

A car in the parking lot

On Saturday, after my dh race, I shot Pro/Semi Pro slalom practice.

Kendall-weed...blurry :banghead:

Then I went back to the expo area for lunch.

A new stem

themontashu and his new more skate style 5.10.

Then I went and took pictures of the pros and semi pros qualifing and racing.

I haven't ever shot a race with so many people shooting at once. I got a pic with someones flash.

Instead of being wet it was windy. Really windy. I heard the ropes on the bouncing castle snapped and it rolled.

Merrrrjig chimping

:rofl: I was freezing in a fleece sweatshirt.

Sunday morning, when I woke it was really cold again... After some coffee, orange juice and muffins, I went to shoot the pro and semi pro dh race.

I went back up with brad.

I got a few pics of the expert race in the afternoon.

5150 biker

I got a pic of Colin racing as well as his elbow and his elbow being cleaned in http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2907166#post2907166. After that, we went be to our campsite and packed up, then headed home. After dropping me off at 11, he still had to drive back to Orange County. He said he slept for 20min in ventura (not while driving I think). He probably got home at about 2:30am.

After a fun weekend, I had school Monday morning...so I've just had today to sort through 900 :shocked: pics.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice shots Pat.
i like the atherton over the gap, the KHS blured berm shot, and also the red jersey 90 something DS shot. The Vories sequence is cool too!

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Dude, those turned out awesome pat! Nicely done, thanks for the company. Overall it was a success.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Thanks for stopping bye the booth !!
Thoes are some great shot's , espec the ones of Rachel ..oooo Hottie !!
-Brad

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Total Heckler, maybe I can beat you at firestone!
I am going to say you will have a lot better of a chance of beating me there. I am only going to be there Saturday to practice then race later that day. No Friday practice for me. I might even be driving down Saturday morning. If thats the case, I don't plan on doing well at all.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks! Yeah, it was. I've been using my 20D for probably almost 2 years now.

Nice...I need anything that will increase my chances of beating you.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice...I need anything that will increase my chances of beating you.
Haha alright, confirmed. I am getting up at like 5am Saturday morning and driving down there with my girlfriend. I am stopping in SLO to pick up my girlfriends sister so she can come watch as well. Man, I am going to be beat. I really just want to race the course again, I have no given up on doing well. Well see I guess.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Josh, you know its a different course this year, not even close to the same as last years.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nice photos Pat! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get off my ever widening ass and go have some fun on my bike!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Uh oh.

Is it at least fun? The course 3 years ago was awesome. 5 inch travel bike ok? Is there still going to be beer?
The course is a work in progress, the first race on the new course was 2 weeks ago. The general consensus is its fun.....but not as bad ass as the old course. Its starts open and off camber and then gets into a gulley-ravine. This gulley is tight in places and can be a bit tricky. There's one section in there thats a total momentum killer and needs to be reworked. By race time things will be signifigantly improved. A 5" bike as the course sits now is fine, ideal really. Hopefully there will be enough big stuff later to make it a toss-up.
The old course is still up, but not being used due to shuttle issues.

Beer? There should be beer and beer vendors, but feel free to bring in reinforcements.

Camp out for this race, its such a freakin sweet location its a shame not to camp out! And as always the attitude will be killer. Look for me in "mid-pack almost a geezer" division (sport 30-35):biggrin:
And stick around town for a day and we'll do some shuttles on the real trails ;)

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I like those photo's. Might make your watermark thing just slightly smaller.

I passed a red truck maybe duallie, and a trailer with IBIS logo/Kenda tires logo ,etc on it this morning going to work in Knoxville.I would imagine they were driving back home from the Otter!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
nobody was clearing that first 30' table, i'd say only 15% of the people in pro/semi practice were clearing it. loren, stoked on the shoes, haha.

d_c

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
sb
hey pat, got any more shots from the slalom on saturday?

your shots are looking pretty sano!! you still have to dig though....

daniel