Quantcast

tooooooooooob-less....home made sealant

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
bump. Stans is getting expensive, so I dug up this thread to find a recipe. But that mold builder stuff is pretty expensive too, so I'm wondering if there's really a cost savings.

Then I went a looked at CRC's site. They have 1L of that Joe's No Flats stuff for $25. Seems like a good deal to me. Gets good reviews on their site, but they are old reviews. Anyone here have experience with it?
A gallon of RV antifreeze is quite cheap, and look for sales on the Slime auto tire sealant stuff at Canadian Tire...then there's of course the Mold Builder stuff that seems hard to find for cheap in Canada.

Stan's is at least 35CDN$ +tx for 1L. Without doing a detailed calculation, the homemade version probably costs about 15-20$ per liter to make. Still somewhat expensive, but (IME) the real benefit is that it seals better than Stan's.

No experience with the Joe's No Flat.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
A gallon of RV antifreeze is quite cheap, and look for sales on the Slime auto tire sealant stuff at Canadian Tire...then there's of course the Mold Builder stuff that seems hard to find for cheap in Canada.

Stan's is at least 35CDN$ +tx for 1L. Without doing a detailed calculation, the homemade version probably costs about 15-20$ per liter to make. Still somewhat expensive, but (IME) the real benefit is that it seals better than Stan's.

No experience with the Joe's No Flat.
Get latex caulk from Home Depot, far cheaper than mold maker and is working well for me. $2 a tube usually

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've used it on and off over the years. works just as well as stan's or any of the other popular latex based sealants for me. when i first bought it years ago from amazon it said 'by stans' in the desc but i'm not sure if that was a mistake or stan's was testing a different product. either way after my last two batches of stan's have been very watery and leaking at the beads more than ususal i'll probably go back to this or the latex based slime which has been great.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've used it on and off over the years. works just as well as stan's or any of the other popular latex based sealants for me. when i first bought it years ago from amazon it said 'by stans' in the desc but i'm not sure if that was a mistake or stan's was testing a different product. either way after my last two batches of stan's have been very watery and leaking at the beads more than ususal i'll probably go back to this or the latex based slime which has been great.
same experience w/recent watery stans that wouldn't seal stuff super well...which is why I was thinking truckerco

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
bump. Stans is getting expensive, so I dug up this thread to find a recipe. But that mold builder stuff is pretty expensive too, so I'm wondering if there's really a cost savings.

Then I went a looked at CRC's site. They have 1L of that Joe's No Flats stuff for $25. Seems like a good deal to me. Gets good reviews on their site, but they are old reviews. Anyone here have experience with it?
If you want something really cheap and useful, get this. I found this stuff while in a rush to set up a new pair of tires the day before going into a biking trip, in a small moto shop, after all the bike shops in town were closed.

I opened the bottle and found a goo similar to Slime Pro, but at a fraction of the cost (about $7.50 for half a liter in that little moto shop here in Argentina). Having no better options, I poured the stuff into the tires, pumped them up and loaded the bike in my truck.

Five days later, after running into a thorny Bush and getting a 4mm cut from a Rock strike in the rear tire, I must say I'm more than surprised. The unnamed goo sealed all the punctures and allowed me to finish that downhill run almost without any pressure loss.

That stuff happened about three months ago. I reloaded my tires this past weekend. The green goo formed snot-like blorbs for the most and the remaining one was easy to peel off the inner surface of the tires.

I did also found It on Ebay by looking for "anti-rust tire sealant". Trust me, it's well worth the money and more.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Michaels always has a 50% off sale or buy one get one free sale going on. Sign up for their email alerts. The mold builder gets cheap that way, and I have to add water to the above recipe to thin it out a bit, I also don't do quite as much antifreeze.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have been very impressed with the Orange Peel stuff. After 6 months of use, including 12 days or so of lift riding on my trail bike, it was still plenty liquid inside the tire with a nice gummy lining dried to the inside of the casing. I think it's about $20 for a 16oz bottle or something.

I won't use the Stan's crap anymore. It dries up almost immediately and I just have clumps of useless crap floating around inside my tires that will never seal anything.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Every time I consider going back to tubeless, and I read threads like this, I realize I'm staying with tubes again. binderdundatgottiredofthemessandstillgotflats.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I won't use the Stan's crap anymore. It dries up almost immediately and I just have clumps of useless crap floating around inside my tires that will never seal anything.
I've helped give tubes to several riders this season, using stans/schwalbe combo. Dried up stans and pinch flat seems to be the norm.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Every time I consider going back to tubeless, and I read threads like this, I realize I'm staying with tubes again. binderdundatgottiredofthemessandstillgotflats.
I'm pretty indifferent from a performance standpoint....to be honest, if I could find decent DH tubes for 27.5 I'd probably never run tubeless for DH again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And then I remember I've had 2 flats in 4 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I use 1 part auto antifreeze and I add 1 part water (auto slime has antifreeze too). It’s all I use tho, been on it for years.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Any updates on this recipe? still work?
It's still very good. I never tried fine-tuning the recipe, as I don't feel the need. However, I definitely feel the need to find cheaper liquid latex. It's really expensive.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's still very good. I never tried fine-tuning the recipe, as I don't feel the need. However, I definitely feel the need to find cheaper liquid latex. It's really expensive.
yeah. I hear you on cost. I bought all the supplies this weekend. In the end, it's cost about $60. I think it may make the equivalent of 2 jugs of Stans, which are about $45 here, so it's a pretty small savings. But, it's something new and neat to try out, so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the input

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
(any chance you're willing to share your hypothesis?)
I'm pretty sure it wont work due to weak inter-molecular forces, but looking at trying to sub out the anti-freeze with oil because its non-polar with extremely low evaporation rate, and its thick so sealing bigger holes should be easier.
Maybe the use of an emulsifier could help.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm pretty sure it wont work due to weak inter-molecular forces, but looking at trying to sub out the anti-freeze with oil because its non-polar with extremely low evaporation rate, and its thick so sealing bigger holes should be easier.
Maybe the use of an emulsifier could help.
Interesting idea, but I am not sure it would seal a large hole at all. I would expect the oil to lubricate the rubber and cause the mixture it to never be able to plug a hole.
You will prefer having antifreeze on your brake pads rather than oil anyway if your tire blows out and spit sealant everywhere. The environment will prefer propylene-glycol as well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Interesting idea, but I am not sure it would seal a large hole at all. I would expect the oil to lubricate the rubber and cause the mixture it to never be able to plug a hole.
You will prefer having antifreeze on your brake pads rather than oil anyway if your tire blows out and spit sealant everywhere. The environment will prefer propylene-glycol as well.
Won't oil destroy the rubber in the tires too?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah. I hear you on cost. I bought all the supplies this weekend. In the end, it's cost about $60. I think it may make the equivalent of 2 jugs of Stans, which are about $45 here, so it's a pretty small savings. But, it's something new and neat to try out, so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the input
Michael's is always having some 60% off or buy one get one free sale, it always ends up around half the "retail" price for the latex for me.