Quantcast

tooooooooooob-less....home made sealant

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Two 16oz cans of mold builder at Michaels today, $32 (at crazy Alaskan prices). One can is enough for me to do 3 mason-jars worth of sealant, which equates to a bunch of the tiny 2oz things. Auto slime is cheap. RV antifreeze is cheap. Water is cheap.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I still hate tubeless, but this homebrew of green slime and home depot latex and RV antifreeze is still working well for us, and it's fun that the glitter I bought spilled all over the inside of my tool kit.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
For Ghetto Toobles, is it better to use TR tires or will regular tires work too? (Before i get hate, here in Southern Az, its basically a requirement to get rid of tubes due to cacti, lots of loose stuff, and rocks that require low psi to navigate.)

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
The most popular tire around here is the Ardent
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-294-140-ardent#
I am running the EXO/TR in the front, just not sure if its the 56 or the 61.
i have forekaster in the back but will get rid of it when i change the tires. I haven't had an issue, including lots of sharp rocks to the sidewall, but its not the best for around here. I hear the Aggressor is a good rear tire for here. Might try that.

But I'm asking because the wheels I'm looking at getting are not TR, so i need to figure out the best way to set it up ghetto tubeless.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
For Ghetto Toobles, is it better to use TR tires or will regular tires work too? (Before i get hate, here in Southern Az, its basically a requirement to get rid of tubes due to cacti, lots of loose stuff, and rocks that require low psi to navigate.)
You want TR tires for any tubeless application. Ghetto split tube TL is great, I use it rear wheels, but the tire still needs to be beefy enough and without porous sidewalls to work tubeless.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ok. i wasn't sure if the bead made any difference on a non-TR wheel. Whats Split tube?
Split tube is what people call Ghetto Tubeless. Cut a tube in half and use that instead of rim tape and a tubeless valve.
If you are planning on using tubeless rim tape then it wouldn't be referred to as "Ghetto Tubeless"

What rims are you planning on running? Maybe someone has experience with those rims and Maxxis tires. Certain combos work better than others for tubeless.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Split tube is what people call Ghetto Tubeless. Cut a tube in half and use that instead of rim tape and a tubeless valve.
If you are planning on using tubeless rim tape then it wouldn't be referred to as "Ghetto Tubeless"

What rims are you planning on running? Maybe someone has experience with those rims and Maxxis tires. Certain combos work better than others for tubeless.
Gotcha. I plan to buy Jalco XM420's. I thought GT was making tubeless out of non-TR stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Tubeless Ready?

Sometimes you can get non-tubeless to seal up, with enough sealant. The bead is usually the issue, it's not gummy like a tubeless tire and doesn't really "seal" without a lot of riding and sealant, which eventually forms that bead, so the answer is usually "maybe".

Oh yeah, the other way to make tubeless tires is make them so f*cking tight that there's no way to get them on without a 2 foot metal lever. I generally do not prefer these tires and they are getting more rare, but that also seals really good usually.

I just came back from AZ last week. Anywhere below about 6000' was mandatory tubeless when I lived there, you'll pick up little glochids and small goatheads all the time. When you ran tubes sometimes these would be small enough that it'd just be a real slow leak, but at other times it'd be fast. In any case, tubeless was a revolution for riding in those areas.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still hate tubeless, but this homebrew of green slime and home depot latex and RV antifreeze is still working well for us, and it's fun that the glitter I bought spilled all over the inside of my tool kit.
Yeah I did that too, thought fluro yellow glitter would be hilarious until this happened, then I ran out of glitter and threw some candy red pearl paint pigment in it and did the same thing. Toolbox has little holes in the drawers for letting glitter through and to allow Allen Keys or bolts to drop through and jam your drawers up.

I have decided that all latex based sealant is shit after going to Juice Lubes Tyre Juice, still got 4.7L of Glycol LOL.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No need for glitter IME.
This is why my mixture is part auto-slime, it's got little bits of ground rubber in it that do the same thing, as well as the additional slime fibers. It's not the main thing I'm relying on, since I use an equal part latex, but tests have shone some marginal improvement with "particles" in the mix.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
I just came back from AZ last week. Anywhere below about 6000' was mandatory tubeless when I lived there, you'll pick up little glochids and small goatheads all the time. When you ran tubes sometimes these would be small enough that it'd just be a real slow leak, but at other times it'd be fast. In any case, tubeless was a revolution for riding in those areas.
Thanks. And correct. I have only had 1 flat since switching to tubeless over a year ago and that because the stem came loose somehow and slowly leaked air. Not to mention Cholla cacti. Those will fuck a tire up, and a rider, very quickly.

I don't mean to be rude, but why?
IDFK

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I don't mean to be rude either, but it really puzzles me that the Ardent is really popular.

I guess they can work for some terrains, but I really hated the time I spent on an 26x2.25 Ardent LUST. I found it barely rideable in the front and I removed it promptly. In the back, it was fast rolling, kind of drifty and fun, but ir really offered zero cornering traction when needed.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I had a friend get one on sale for 6 dollars. We made fun of him for it being such a bad choice, and he agreed.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, my shit is pretty much 100% bedazzled at this point.
The Peatys Tubeless sealant comes with blue glitter in it. I over-inflated the missus' tyre trying to bead the stupid thing and it exploded in the garage making the whole place look like a unicorn bukkake scene.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Anyone using ground black pepper or something else kinda eco instead of glitter?

I will be trying it next time I need to top off my tires.

Garbage in the backcountry drives me crazy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Anyone using ground black pepper or something else kinda eco instead of glitter?

I will be trying it next time I need to top off my tires.

Garbage in the backcountry drives me crazy.
I did wonder about that too but I would assume it would have to be non porous or at least non clumping when it absorbs moisture. If you did use something that absorbed moisture you may have to add more water or glycol.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
http://reviews.mtbr.com/finish-line-sealant-review

By the sounds of that review, "never dries out" might be a problem...
Is it an anaerobic sealant? It sounds sorta like a bottle of pour in head gasket repairer.

I'm still sold on Juice Lubes, had to work on a friend's bike over the weekend and he has(against my advice) had the same Ardent on there for two years and it has had the goo topped up for the third time. I thought I'd pop the tire off to have a look, the sealant that had gone hard came off easily and the tire had no boogers or dry goo, it's so much better than the Orange Seal shit I am using, it's hardly better than home made stuff.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I ran the Orange stuff but it failed to seal a couple of small holes that I expected it should have handled. The Peatys stuff did the same to me over summer - makes me wonder if Aussie summer heat exceeds what the stuff is rated to? Running e.13 Plasma these days with pretty good results, but it does seem to evaporate/dry out after about 6 months.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I ran the Orange stuff but it failed to seal a couple of small holes that I expected it should have handled. The Peatys stuff did the same to me over summer - makes me wonder if Aussie summer heat exceeds what the stuff is rated to? Running e.13 Plasma these days with pretty good results, but it does seem to evaporate/dry out after about 6 months.
6 months?! I expect to get no more than 4 months here on the east coast of na where its pretty humid and, relatively mild out most of the time...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
6 months?! I expect to get no more than 4 months here on the east coast of na where its pretty humid and, relatively mild out most of the time...
Mine is probably the same... I just don't check it till something goes wrong....