Quantcast

Top Gear

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Harris' name has been linked to TG for sometime now so ill believe it when they actually announce it. i will say that itll suck to see him get away from his own format. i know its not the best barometer but the /Drive shows on NBCSN are awful compared to his YT channel. Sabine is a helluva driver but can be hard to understand sometimes and isnt funny when she tries to be.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
She is German of course she is not funny. Chris is really not the most fun guy either he just a big car nerd that knows how to drive better than most journalist. I still think they could make a good show with the bbc budget and we still have the old dudes on Amazon soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I picked a random episode of Top Gear from 2014 and counted close to 30 editors/producers/writers. This does not include camera or sound men or the host themselves. Anyone who thinks that the old top gear was good only because of the cast doesn't get what it takes to make a good show.

Chris Harris' videos are shoestring operations and consist pretty much of Chris Harris and some help with Cameras. Pretty impressive results considering it is little more than a one man operation.

Seems like the new guys are basically Car people. The old cast was an assemblage of TV professionals who liked cars. Basically old british versions of Carson Daily and Sal Masekela. New version probably will not have the same level of TV polish but the driving will be much better, not to mention actual knowledge of cars. No need for a Stig.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Why do they put sensors in the most inaccessible places on your car? Alloy nipples in any incarnation are fucking stupid.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I picked a random episode of Top Gear from 2014 and counted close to 30 editors/producers/writers. This does not include camera or sound men or the host themselves. Anyone who thinks that the old top gear was good only because of the cast doesn't get what it takes to make a good show.
This is true. While the hosts were icons, the writing and show has to come together, and those are not the area of the hosts.

The biggest issue is that TG became a British icon. It became synonymous with Monty Python and anything else good that came from those islands. It became a lot more than a motoring show, it was "one stop shopping" for all things comedy, motoring, reality, drama, action, and so on. It almost reminds me of those real terrible James Bond flicks where they got so freaking off track the entire point became to make cheap jokes that just got lamer and lamer as time went on. Almost an inevitable crash, one could say. It was entertaining, but as time went on, it became so entertaining that the people originally interested in cars started to lose interest. Still, it had it's moments, driving a car through BBC headquarters. The craziness was great at times, but they were given so much slack they hung themselves. It wasn't about "what cars are they going to test this week?", it was "what the hell are these guys going to do now?!". It can be hard to see this inside an organization when everyone is telling you what an awesome job you are doing and everyone keeps encouraging you.

I don't think they can make celebrities of Sabine and Harris in the same way as JeremyJamesRichard, that slowly built up momentum over years and years, at best, they should be focusing on a serious motoring show that actually brings something to the table, establish it, then slowly introduce the craziness, and keep it in check as the show goes on. In the meantime, I'll stick to Monty Python.

I'm drinking Ardberg, so this may not make any sense at all...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kind of reeks of throwing a bunch of **** on the wall to see what sticks...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There was some sort of sexual misconduct allegation brought up against Chris just recently. I'm too tired to look it up right now though...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Apparently he likes to whip his cock out at work, such as at meetings. Wanker indeed.

I personally have no interest in Top Gear since the departure of Clarkson/May/Hammond much as I don't care about Fifth Gear or the other similar shows.

I will watch Grand Tour when it comes out, though.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There was some sort of sexual misconduct allegation brought up against Chris just recently. I'm too tired to look it up right now though...
Jalopnik seems to be the only one trying to link that to his reason for stepping down. Odd this is coming out now after 22+ years

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Apparently he likes to whip his cock out at work, such as at meetings. Wanker indeed.

I personally have no interest in Top Gear since the departure of Clarkson/May/Hammond much as I don't care about Fifth Gear or the other similar shows.

I will watch Grand Tour when it comes out, though.
If they pull Chris Harris up from Extra Gear, that will really improve things. Evans just blows goat balls.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm not that entertained by Monkey. He can do a mean drift but that's not the point of being a showman.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If they pull Chris Harris up from Extra Gear, that will really improve things. Evans just blows goat balls.
Chris Harris on Cars is getting its own time slot on Mondays on BBCA as well as his web series for TG! he's where TGUK should have went. articulate/geeky about the cars, can tell a good story, massive gear head, can drive circles (and jump the longest in a Mini) around most people and is generally loved by most gear heads

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Chris Harris on Cars is getting its own time slot on Mondays on BBCA as well as his web series for TG! he's where TGUK should have went. articulate/geeky about the cars, can tell a good story, massive gear head, can drive circles (and jump the longest in a Mini) around most people and is generally loved by most gear heads
I'm still rather sad I can't get see those /Drive episodes they did for NBC because they can't sell their shit to yurp but won make it available for free anyway.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What about a show with Chris and Jeremy? They could punch each other?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Top Gear worked because it wasn't really about cars. See the stifling irrelevance of the dude prattling on about used car prices in the first season.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Top Gear worked because it wasn't really about cars. See the stifling irrelevance of the dude prattling on about used car prices in the first season.
i agree but that ship sailed when the three guys left for Amazon. before 2002, it was mainly about cars then progressed into a show with a good story line and had cars thrown in with the revamp. trying to continue on with what clarkson, hammond and may were doing isnt and doesnt work.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
I watched that first episode with the new cast and that was it for me. zero chemistry, the format was changed. no star in a cheap car. instead they had Gordon Ramsey and Jesse Eisenberg on the show talking about their upcoming projects, not really about cars. Except Ramsey getting his key for his Ferrari LaFerrari. really stupid segment, it felt just so scripted and fake.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just watched the first Grand Tour episode. Thoughts:

- great camera work
- American racer dude is stupid. Where is Ben Collins?
- dead celebrity schtick was weak
- they look like they're having fun
- new track legitimately looks a bit sketchy with lack of runoff
- M2 looks fun, a car for me in another life where I'm not married with kids and where speed limits don't exist

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That first episode just goes to show what real screen presence is compared to the people on the new top gear. These three guys work very well together

Dead celebrity bit was odd
Mike skinner...really?? A fat and nearly 60 year old racing nobody? Ugh

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Studio sections were hard to watch. Crowd laughter seemed very artificial. Things went from perfect silence to uproarious laughter back to silence in under 2 seconds. Repeat for anything remotely amusing. Up and down camera motion seemed a desperate attempt at being "artsy" while doing little more than causing mild vertigo. Driving bits were good, but they really shouldn't show close-ups of Jeremy's yellowed teeth and fingernails.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New season starts soon, hopefully better than the last. It will be good if we end up with two decent car shows between this and Grand Tour.