Quantcast

Toshi's ride pics thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Toshi, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    Latest thing to figure out: which meetings to attend this upcoming year? I get up to 20 workdays off toward these (just have to get an abstract accepted to justify 15 of those days) and would like to use all the days this upcoming academic year.

Prospects:

October 27 in Chicago
    March 4 in Scottsdale
    April 9 in Nashville
    April 22 in DC
    April 26 in Montreal
    May 20 in DC
    May 31 immediately south of DC (National Harbor, MD)
    June 12 in Dublin
    June 16 in Paris

Having a kid may screw with the plans in terms of traveling as a family, etc. Hmm.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    I'm ready for ski season. Finally got around to doing the edges and waxing Mariko's and my skis. I don't have fancy storage wax like Nick so just put on a high temperature (25 degree) wax and put them back on the shelf.

3. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    189 / 1,415
    That's all I do too

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    1) Mariko may have issues with ski/boot sizing this year. Last year I got her 70 cm skis since they work with the 194 mm (iirc) BSL of her Mondo 14.5 sized ski boots, which are literally the smallest made.

This upcoming season she should be on something like 100 cm skis. (The 70s were already too short in terms of gliding by the end of the season.) It looks like the smallest BSL accommodated by the bindings on the 100 cm ski/binding setups that I have found corresponds to something like a 17.5 boot. I'm not sure she'll fit that.

Hmm. Perhaps her feet will grow posthaste.

2) TIL that Bank of America's phone tree is infuriating. Took many a minute to navigate, and "sure" is not recognized as "yes." I had to call them because their automatic payment system that I'm enrolled in (one of many), PayPlan, can only be managed by calling them up. No web service, and no clear indication of this except for in one fee description:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/home-loans/mortgage-servicing-fees.go

Anyway, I took your collective advice and altered my mortgage payment withdrawal date to the 8th of the month. Late enough to not have any issues with slightly late monthly direct deposits clearing, but not so late that a screwup on their end would be too late to catch and pay manually.

3) I already had set up the withdrawal from my taxable investment account for the amount of next month's mortgage payment. Rather than punting it right back into the taxable account after this month's payday comes (along with balancing the books for the month itself) I think I'm going to do something a bit rash with this money: invest in cryptocurrency.

I'm thinking 1/3rd each in Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ether: https://cointelegraph.com/news/investors-who-missed-bitcoin-rally-go-for-ether-monero-litecoin

The rationale for this rash move is that I'm fine with the value of the investment going to 0, yet there's good upside potential as well. Certainly better expected value than $Nk in Powerball tickets...

4) This cryptocurrency business (another account with another password--definitely using a unique one for this along with strong 2-factor authentication!) reminds me that I need to go and update my Get Your Shit Together document that lists bank accounts, online passwords, life insurance policies, etc. Not that I'm planning to die anytime soon but I'd hate to see assets lost sight of in a period of chaos.

https://www.gyst.com/ for those who haven't made their own will and the like

5. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    189 / 1,415
    binding can be re-mounted to fit almost any boot. at her size/age, you should do the annual rental (Larson's) where you pay a flat fee and they take care of everything, and replace small stuff with new larger stuff as she grows.

6. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    With 2 kids and a possible 3rd kid in the mix I'd rather buy and the resell when done.

Good to know re remounting. Wasn't sure if that was always an option.

7. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    Sunday:

8. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    Pettiness quantified, provoked by the wife headed out to a comedy show with her friends tonight. Did I mention she'll be gone Friday-Monday in Vegas by herself? I asked if she knew about the Vegas timing before she scheduled this, and she saw nothing odd in her actions, then griped at me for being gone riding and at rehearsals.

To take up JK's facetious suggestion to make a spreadsheet I'm going to see how things have played out on our calendar from January 1 through the end of June. Elective absences, as opposed to medical visits and scheduled rehearsals for groups:

Jessica: 18 evenings + 17 short weekday or vacation day mornings + 4 full weekend days
    Toshi: 8 evenings working volunteer evening shifts for pay + 2.5 days of a conference where I admittedly just goofed around in the Everglades and Keys + 5 half day weekend rides + 2 work dinners

I think my grievances are valid, especially since my evening shifts are me working. I don't think she realizes how often she has been gone for her spin and Barre classes...

9. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    109 / 1,021
    Happily married men never keep score because they have already accepted their fate. Resistance is futile, you cannot win.

10. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    This is probably true. Still better to get gripes out in the open instead of letting them simmer. She was apparently thinking of last summer, where I did average one weekend ride per week. This year thus far I've only ridden on the weekend for 4 mornings + 1 holiday morning, since I've been riding on weekdays more...

11. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    We still haven't gone down that third kid road yet, but I felt like doing something since Jessica clearly dislikes driving the Land Cruiser. (I took the Land Cruiser biking today despite having the hitch on the RAV4 EV as well since she wanted the smaller vehicle to cart the kids to the pool. No one propositioned me or offered to buy it--weird. :D)

Anyway, what I did today was send out email inquiries to the ~20 dealers between Cañon City and Cheyenne to see who will deal... on a Pacifica (plug-in) Hybrid. Why?

1) Won't ship for a long while. Recall just announced for a diode in a hybrid powertrain module.
    2) Having such a thing in service this tax year would be nice.
    3) Wife probably would like driving it better than the Land Cruiser, what with the around-view 360 degree camera setup and the electricness-for-33-miles.
    4) Steering wheel cruise controls are identical to Honda's (i.e., different from Toyota's), plus said cruise control works in stop and go traffic unlike Honda's.
    5) With $12.5k in Federal and State tax incentives it's about $12.5k less than a top of the line Odyssey, which is not chump change.

The problem with asking dealers to play ball on this particular vehicle is that invoice and MSRP are separated by all of $100. I've gotten an offer for invoice thus far, but $100 isn't worth traveling 83 miles each way out to Limon...

Update: Also got a invoice/$100 under MSRP offer up in Thornton.

Update 2: Invoice - $1000 down in Colorado Springs at Perkins. Uber would be about $80-100 to get down there. Renting a car would be $80 + gas + last mile issues so Uber wins. (I might even spring for Select--don't want to sit in an Elantra for an hour.) I challenged the Thornton dealer to match this, apparently to no avail.

#6811 -   Jun 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM
  12. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    109 / 1,021
    I saw my first Tesla outside of Sam's Club today, it was the big 4 door. I couldn't even hear it roll. You should get one of those.

13. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    I've test driven it. Swoopy sedans and my big head do not agree. Also it's eligible for exactly the same amount of incentives while being twice or more as much to start. Nope nope nope.

14. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    Jessica's in Vegas from tonight through Monday afternoon.

I think I'm going to drive through Rocky Mountain National Park (counterclockwise, coming back down through Georgetown, etc.) tomorrow with the kids in the Land Cruiser. Trail Ridge Rd is open, even if Old Fall River Rd isn't.

Sunday... Mt Evans? Guanella Pass?

As long as I keep them fed and hydrated (and have a portable tiny potty in the car for when Yuna inevitably calls out that she wants to pee imminently) they will tolerate it, and I'd like to see such things. I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the snow but perhaps they can trek around in it a bit at RMNP. In any case it beats lounging around a crowded community pool here in Stapleton.

15. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    330 / 2,009
    Who will do the dishes?

16. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 894
    That reminds me that I should go up to feed the kitten lest he chew everything up.