Quantcast

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Originally posted by WTGPhoben

is it ossible we could leave just a tad later? I have to pick up a keg for my buddy after work, but then I want to ride, so just after 6 maybe?
Sure, a little after 6 works. We could just bring the keg along with us :p. Or maybe fill our Camelbacks with it?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Quadari
Sure, a little after 6 works. We could just bring the keg along with us :p. Or maybe fill our Camelbacks with it?
Hmm, I'm due to pick up the headless Evil from Ace about that time. (Incidentally, I'm supposed to be dropping it off right now. :D But I digress.) I'll just have to show up a bit early and pester them.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
ok, so I'm going to go on the keg run, and then I'll stop at either toshi's or ari's, depending on who's home at the time. This, with luck should be about 6:15. I have my bike on me so we can ride out as soon as I get there.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
sweet. sounds good. (this is all assuming, of course, that it doesn't rain.)

now we just need to decide where we are going? Takers on riding the minute man trail? I'm up for basically any suggestion.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
I'm spending about 250 on a wheel...

The specs:
Mavic 517, silver (they stopped doing the funky colors!)
DT swiss competition spokes, butted 14/15
Alloy nipples, black
chris king disc hub, black (just in case)

hopefully, I'll have everything and get a chance to build it up before race day.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
you could do the concord-carisle loop and stop for yummy ice cream at kimball farms.

:p

sweet. sounds good. (this is all assuming, of course, that it doesn't rain.)

now we just need to decide where we are going? Takers on riding the minute man trail? I'm up for basically any suggestion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Barbaton
you could do the concord-carisle loop and stop for yummy ice cream at kimball farms.
I vote for this route. :D I rode to Concord once and it was a lovely ride.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just got a campsite for our weekend racing excursion. My good tent holds 2 comfortably, can anyone supplement with another, or do I have to break out my ghetto tent?
Sorry, all of my tents are back in Washington. I suspect others will have the same problem.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Killington is running a big race wknd with DH, slalom, and XC. next wknd. Anyone interested in going?
Hmm...sounds like fun. BUT, next sunday, the 28th if my 21st birthday. So I'm probably going to be sticking around in town.

So really, does anyone know how to go where we are going today?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What do you guys think of the weather prospects?
I live in Washington. I like rain. Ok, that's going a bit far...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
true...but i don't want to get my nice new shiny bike all wet! :D
bah. We ride anyways. I would be going to the bike shop to pick up the Evil right now, 'cept Keith just walked in the door.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Unyielding Evil, as the bike shall henceforth be known, is quite the handful. Ow. I didn't even try to jump off the stairs at the end of the bridge, as I feared that I'd break myself. The bike certainly is worlds easier to manual, however. After sitting down in a sketchy parking lot in Allston having "deep" philosophical thoughts I went mad and looped around the lot practicing manuals. While not consistent at them, I found that on a good manual I can coast the length of a parking spot, which is probably 15 or 20 feet. It's a start. :rolleyes: :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi
The Unyielding Evil, as the bike shall henceforth be known, is quite the handful. Ow. I didn't even try to jump off the stairs at the end of the bridge, as I feared that I'd break myself. The bike certainly is worlds easier to manual, however. After sitting down in a sketchy parking lot in Allston having "deep" philosophical thoughts I went mad and looped around the lot practicing manuals. While not consistent at them, I found that on a good manual I can coast the length of a parking spot, which is probably 15 or 20 feet. It's a start. :rolleyes: :D
the next step can be taken today in lynn woods. Dave wants to go around 1, so get your lazy behind out of bed:eek: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the next step can be taken today in lynn woods. Dave wants to go around 1, so get your lazy behind out of bed:eek: :D
Hey, I've been playing roller hockey for two hours! No calling me lazy, at least not today :eek: :D

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Ari's physics tip of the day: drafting is cool.

So I went riding this morning (out to Bedford and back) and on the way back I was passed by these two guys who were going about 7 or 8 mph faster than I was at the time. I caught up to them and pulled in behind the second guy to draft off him. Low and behold, suddenly I could go much faster than before and had to do barely any work. It was cool.

How was Lynn?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How was Lynn?
Fun. :D Craig and David Hembry joined Keith, Dave and me, and we hit up most of the good trails, including the abbreviated Bow Ridge. There was much dropping and upping goodness to be had by all. It's too bad my camera's still being held hostage -- today would have made for some good shots. I borrowed a v-brake from Keith, btw, and will true your front wheel before returning it. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Alright, cool. So you don't need to borrow my brake now?
Nope, I'll be set. Thanks (assuming your non-response wasn't negative ;) ) anyways. :D

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
anyone wanna play roadie today? (ari I'm looking in your direction.) I wanna put down some miles, maybe some hills.

damn. you just missed me. I left at about 11 and went for a ride out to Concord and back. ~40 miles. It was cool. And there are some decent hills out that way. We'll have to do it again soon sometime.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002

damn. you just missed me.
...and you'd probly be glad I did. i was feeling masochistic today, so I did 5 Arlington heights --> Belmont ctr, wave at the watertower when you get to the halfway point, intervals. I'm gonna go drive the mileage later tonight, and I'll let you know how much grueling hillclimb pain I subjected myself to.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
I'm gonna go drive the mileage later tonight, and I'll let you know how much grueling hillclimb pain I subjected myself to.
You just need to get a biking computer. They're lots of fun. You get all sorts of great info. For example my top speed today was 31.4 mph. (Tour de France here I come ;) )

And I've ridden this bike for 116 miles already! (less than a week!)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
originally posted by quadari...You just need to get a biking computer. They're lots of fun. You get all sorts of great info. For example my top speed today was 31.4 mph. (Tour de France here I come )
I have one, but I broke the cable (3x) and I can't find anywhere that sells em.

But I did the mileage, and it was a total of 13.2mi, that's 6.6mi of uphill in .6, 1.3 and 1.8mi intervals, given that the beginner class race is only 8mi, and only half of it is uphill, I think I'm in good shape.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I have one, but I broke the cable (3x) and I can't find anywhere that sells em.

But I did the mileage, and it was a total of 13.2mi, that's 6.6mi of uphill in .6, 1.3 and 1.8mi intervals, given that the beginner class race is only 8mi, and only half of it is uphill, I think I'm in good shape.
I have one in my toolbox. $10 "shipped" when you come pick it up. ;) :eek: :D It's a Cateye Enduro 3, and I think the Evil guys would shoot me if they saw a computer on the Imperial. However, maybe it would look good on the DBR, tho... hmmm, next thing you know I'll be wearing a heart rate monitor. Again. :rolleyes: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What do you think of this one?

It looks a bit vertically stretched, but it scares me much less than Keith's. :D I kind of want to make the white space around mine transparent...