Quantcast

Toshi's thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Toshi, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Adventurous

Adventurous Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    132 / 988
    Who'd you get a 2.39% through? I'm currently sitting at 5.5% on the small balance I have left, I'm thinking I can do better.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    ELFI. I'll get you a referral link in a bit, hang on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    360 / 2,219

I refinanced my student loans via a home equity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    http://www.elfi.com/youve-been-referred?ref=272

5. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Hmph. Wasn't approved for 2.39% x 60 months for my refinance (although Jessica was with me as a co-signer). They did 3.16% x 60 months. Still better than 4.25%.

3.16% is my highest effective rate debt now. (Also have a small 2.875% Jessica loan chunk, the big mortgage at 2.6% effective, the brunt of Jessica's loans at 2.39%, the projected minivan note that'll likely be at 1.99%, and the RAV4 EV note at 1.24%.)

This makes it an easy decision: after keeping enough in reserve to buffer the inevitable red months the first half of the year due to how I get paid and socking some away for a planned Japan trip next year I'll put all extra month to month money toward this 3.16% chain around my neck. Debt, be gone! Well, eventually... :D

6. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    I just ordered parts to go from stock 46 x 18t gearing to 53 x 16t on the Taga. Mind you, the rear tire is a 20 x 1.75" so this is going from 11.x mph to 14.x mph at an 80 rpm cadence. Doing 15 mph will make it much more useful, both in terms of getting anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and in making the assist levels/speeds 4-6 actually useable. (Recall that it only has one gear, as the electric hub displaces the Shimano Alfine 3 otherwise specced.)

I went with a 130 mm bcd track crankset (using the stock square taper BB since the cadence sensor is integrated with it), Shimano 53t ring off of a double crankset because cheap, ACS freewheel, and a KMC chain. Should be an easy enough swap of components. The stock crankset has a direct mount ring but who knows what standard it is running…

7. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965

8. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Dealer says ship date for the minivan is 9/5. I don't believe that but perhaps I'll see it this month!

9. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Took the RAV4 EV to just outside Idaho Springs and back for a wedding. Short version is that it did great and range anxiety was misplaced.

Long version:

- 44 miles each way and about a half mile net elevation difference
    - started out with an extended charge, 41.8 kWh in theory per the range chart
    - was 5 bars down from indicated "full" (full being 35 kWh), so about 17.8 kWh used for the leg out: 2.5 miles/kWh
    - used just four more bars on the way back, or rather used five and regenerated one, so about 8.8 kWh used: 5.0 miles/kWh. The car reported 6.2 miles/kWh for this leg, go figure.
    - there are 16 bars total so 16-5-4 implies it was just one bar below half of a normal 35 kWh charge when I pulled into my garage

The net result is that the battery still had about 40 realistic level terrain miles left after the 88 mile round trip.

10. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    The logical question that'd follow from this is what (summertime: AC and no inefficient resistive heater) range I could push the RAV4 EV to with those 2.5 miles/kWh uphill and 5.0 miles/kWh efficiency figures:

Start out at 41.8 kWh. Pull into home at the third from last charge state bar of 16, so 8.6 kWh or about 25 miles of realistic remaining range to avert anxiety.

41.8 - n/2.5 - n/5.0 == 8.6
    33.2 == 0.2n + 0.4n == 0.6n
    n == 33.2/0.6 == 55 miles each way

What does 55 miles from where I live get me? Not the summit of Mt Evans, not Winter Park, not A Basin. Welp, that's that, I guess. It's a Tesla under its hood, sure, but a 40 kWh Tesla battery isn't that useful, especially without DC fast charging.

11. 6thElement

6thElement Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    34 / 673
    Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust conversion required to extend your range with a diesel generator in the back.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead_Eagle_i-Thrust

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    … or a Pentastar V6 as with the supposedly built and shipping soon PHEV minivan. Or 85+ kWh and 135 kW DC fast chargers in Silverthorne a la expensive Teslas. (Or any gasoline vehicle plus a few dollars in Carbonfund offsets.)

13. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    IMG_0029.JPG

I give it even odds that the above will happen to the Pacifica Hybrid. If it does and can't be fixed immediately then I'll get the wife a 2018 Sienna assuming she still likes minivans and will pursue a lemon law buyback with Chrysler. This would be a pain but then again we have been gambling successfully with our Toyota/Tesla Frankenstein machine, technically only supported in California…

14. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    IMG_6011.JPG

53 x 16t in the flesh. Proved to be a pain in the ass:

- I'd thrown away my square taper crank puller long ago, so spent a very long time prying at the original right crankarm to get it loose
    - had to join new chain with extra links from old chain since the chain line is so long: 100 was about 20 links short
    - working with horizontal dropouts with axle tensioners is painful by itself but doubly so when one of the axles has phase wires coming out of it
    - extra fun/oddness as the rear disc mount is mounted to the axle yet slides in and then secures to the dropout, too

It appears to work now, though. I think I set the chain a little too tight but I'm going to ignore that since fixing that would require realigning the brake, two axle and two tensioner bolts, etc.

I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow morning and take Mariko to school in it if it checks out.

Still no build sheet that'd imply it was fully built, but apparently its past paint and now in the trim assembly status. Odds are looking very good for receiving it this year.

15. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Reminds me of Lenawee:

Only no one did this, because we can ride over 4" rocks.

16. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    187 / 1,047
    Still trying to grok how that move was even possible... :think:

17. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    360 / 2,219

Weight was too far forward.

He just "pulled up" when getting his front over so when the rear wheel hit he went ass over tea-kettle.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    187 / 1,047
    Coulda used moar speed. :homer:

19. 6thElement

6thElement Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    34 / 673
    Who is it? They have a redbull helmet on...

As we were climbing chimney we had someone do similar descending towards us last week (a running shoes wearing rider on a simple bit of trail). The rider took a couple of tumbles down the slope too, we were glad we didn't need to rescue him...

20. SkaredShtles

Rep/Likes:
    187 / 1,047
    No bueno... there is a SHITLOAD of poison ivy on Chimney.

21. Adventurous

Adventurous Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    132 / 988
    I had to point out a couple of people a few weeks back the fact that the bottom of Longhorn is teeming with poison ivy. They had no idea what it looked like. I wish I could have such a blase attitude about it, but I'm quite susceptible to getting it bad.

22. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    I'm getting the itch to change out my commuter bike for something with better aero positioning. Maybe that godforsaken recumbent idea again (but those long chain runs are so ugly!) or maybe just a "gravel grinder" to be all hip and such.

Things I'd like:

- 1 x 11 or 12, maybe Alfine 11?
    - belt drive?
    - drop bars if an upright bike
    - hydro discs
    - room for at least a 30 mm tire + fenders
    - rack eyelets for my fancy Tubus rack

The commuter has a few thousand miles on it and like I said I feel that itch... hmm

23. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    360 / 2,219
    In moving west i seem to have traded poison Ivy for stinging nettles.

I'll take it, nettles may hurt but there is a pleasing endorphin response.

24. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 1,967
    Toughen up, buttercup. We were practically rolling in stinging nettles as kids as they were everywhere. Plus we had to pick their leaves for herbal tea and other obscure uses with just bare hands. :homer:

25. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    360 / 2,219
    Reading comprehension snapdragon.
    I pretty much just said I liked them.

26. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Maybe this?

http://cruzbike.com/t50#!/

+/- electric kit, which would mean I'd have to stick to roads, but that'd be ok... hmm

27. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    360 / 2,219

do you pedal/steer like it is a bigwheel?

I think I'd rather have a bigwheel.

28. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Here's an available electric setup for the Cruzbike T50:

That setup has a Bafang hub motor. 250W, same as on the Taga trike, actually. That doesn't sound too interesting.

It does demonstrate that the now-ubiquitous Hailong downtube enclosure works with the T50. Not quite sure how they affixed it since I didn't see water bottle bosses at first glance, but that can be solved. Controller would go behind the seat as they did, and a "front" hub motor would slot in the physically rear location. (The spacing is 135 mm up front, 100 mm in rear--normal but reversed a la the drivetrain.)

What does sound interesting would be this:

I'm thinking 52V 13Ah battery, Crystalyte H3548 front hub motor, 40A sine-wave controller, square-taper torque-sensing bottom bracket to match the crap stock cranks, and a v3 CycleAnalyst to control things as the major components.

I could swap over some things from the current commuter, like the XT hydraulic discs (probably should re-bleed them at some point anyway, heh)...

29. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Counterpoint is that a Honda Grom would be faster, with many of the same limitations, and would have a warranty.

Going electric would mean giving up my greenway commute route. Although the roads in question have bike lanes for most of the route it'd be giving up a lot. Hmm.

30. Toshi

Toshi Harbinger of Doom

Rep/Likes:
    154 / 965
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go electric after all. But I might try a 'bent to get a burst of extra solely-powered-by-me speed on the greenway bike commute route.

(not the one in question, but other than the discs and the paint job pretty damn similar, as stick + ridiculous chain line styling hasn't changed in a decade)

I found a Bacchetta Giro 20 with V-brakes on Craigslist in Colorado Springs listed at $500. I low-balled the buyer over text messages at $300 (citing a 2009 Giro 20 with discs that sold on eBay last month for $400 + $90 shipping). He balked at that price but I have the luxury of not being in any hurry at all, headed down to CSprings this weekend anyway for a work conference. I figure at $300 I could probably sell it on eBay or Craigslist and at least come close to breaking even if it didn't agree with me for whatever reason.

I also emailed two other Craigslist 'bent bike sellers, one with a very similar Bacchetta Giro 20 in Fort Collins, and another with a Burley Django in Longmont. I'll similarly offer $300 for the Fort Collins Giro 20 if the seller replies, and $200 for the Burley. The Burley would be harder to flip if I didn't like it as it lacks any name recognition, and the newest it can possibly be is 2006, as that's the year when Burley pulled out of the recumbent market. (Apparently the recumbent bike division (who knew of them?! certainly not me) of Burley was profitable but the division was axed in a time of overall red ink at the cooperative. After that they concentrated on trailers, as they are known for today.)