Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The idea isn't heating the liners for comfort although it's a benefit. The bag warms the shells more than anything and since starting ski days with toasty shells I've not had to readjust my boots but once through a day. I thought it was ridiculous until I tried it and now I'll always prefer preheated boots.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The idea isn't heating the liners for comfort although it's a benefit. The bag warms the shells more than anything and since starting ski days with toasty shells I've not had to readjust my boots but once through a day. I thought it was ridiculous until I tried it and now I'll always prefer preheated boots.
il_570xN.270961579.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just went down a veritable rabbit hole of reviews after mentally deciding that getting powder skis is necessary, because that monacle isn’t going to face-shot itself (with snow, you kinky bastards).

At the end of the rabbit hole I think the answer is:

A) Buy a blistergearreview membership. This is the same outfit that kidwoo writes for, and my med school buddy Paul Forward similarly is on staff.
B) Said membership gets one 10% off and free shipping at Moment.
C) Use this to get the Blister Pro named version of their redone Bibby Pro, which is important because the graphics on the latter are revolting. (Plus this is a small net discount.)

They ski short so I’ll go 190 cm for flotation, because that’s the point. I’m sure I could resell them (to Stoney?) if they do ski too big somehow. I haven’t looked at all into whether they are available at this point in the season, etc.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
have you skied the Bibby?
you have access to quite a few pow skis to try, and even more to demo from local shops. Try as much as you can before you buy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Evo Denver has a pair left in stock! But it’s the Bibby, not the Blister. The only difference is the top sheet, but this actually matters since the Bibby’s is amazingly hideous.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Acting on impulse is how I filled my rafters with too many skis.
Pro tip: ALL Moment skis are hideous.

You should try my Protests and Billy Goats, arguably two of the very best pow skis out there. FT has Atomic Bentchetlers I bet you'd fit into if he'd loan them to you. Three very different designs, all totally capable in deep snow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turns out my bsl is 306 mm, not 315 or whatever I said. I’m doing it—headed out to Evo in a bit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pulled the trigger on the last pair in stock at Evo. Look Pivot 14 bindings. It’ll be mounted up Monday afternoon, so I’ll be likely on it Wednesday and Thursday unless there’s absolutely no new snow from now until then.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's rumored the snow is coming tomorrow... so you've got that going for you.
Indeed things look like they will work out just fine.

For Wednesday the question is whether I should ski Breckenridge or Beaver Creek. Reported base at the former > the latter, 48" vs 32" but are resorts honest?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Indeed things look like they will work out just fine.

For Wednesday the question is whether I should ski Breckenridge or Beaver Creek. Reported base at the former > the latter, 48" vs 32" but are resorts honest?
No.

That said - ALWAYS Beaver Creek over Breckenridge. Unless Breck has 2 feet of fresh and the Beav has none.

Pro-tip: Take your Mantras along with your pow skis - if things are just soft packed powder, you'll probably want those at the Beav.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I got to ask though - why did you guy do those wide traverse turns and didn't send it down the mountain? :D
Did you watch past 15 seconds into the video? Because i turned down the fall line then.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think he was suggesting you try an eastern European, not ice

NTTAWWT

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No new snow. Meh.

Thoughts:

- I like the layout of Breckenridge better than Beaver Creek: shuttles are annoying. There’s just too much development around the Beaver Creek base in the way.
- new powder skis were indeed not put to good use today
- they can hold an edge on groomers but actually like to rotate further and smear unless one really tucks in the knees to get them angled over
- bumps with them are not too fun
- $26 burger and fries mid-mountain, oof
- the minivan continues to be a stellar ski transit vehicle. See today’s gas vs electric miles below.
- I injured my back at a trampoline place last weekend and it was not happy today. I cut my day short, won’t ski tomorrow, and will take it easy until a week from today

A1E6D258-9408-4623-AAF2-0DBCB53B997C.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Project RAV4 EV Exodus is officially underway: I paid off the RAV4 EV's lovely 1.24% loan just now--recall that I bought it used, so that was a great rate indeed.

The lien release letter and title should be in my hands in a few weeks. I'll have an ad ready to go by that time.

Plan is Craigslist, Facebook (including my (big) neighborhood's swap page), and myrav4ev.com, posting these pre-title-in-hand and then once title in hand then right to eBay Motors with a 7 day auction.

I renewed its registration just a day or two ago. If I can present the unused tabs + completed bill of sale to the DMV by March 31 then I get the registration fee back, so that's a good goal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The lien release letter and title should be in my hands in a few weeks. I'll have an ad ready to go by that time.
Hell, here's an ad ready to go right now:

For sale: 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV. 35,377 miles as of 2/15/18.

Relevant extras:

- free transfer of a Toyota Platinum VSA, an extended warranty good until February 2021 or 75,000 miles (read about terms of this warranty here)
- has Nokian winter tires on it now, and will be sold with 4 Continental all-seasons as well
- Curt 2" receiver hitch for use with bike racks (no trailer wiring--this is not rated to tow)

The RAV4 EV was the product of a one-time collaboration between Toyota and Tesla. This is an all-electric RAV4, not a hybrid, with essentially a FWD version of the Model S's powertrain. Under the filler flap is a J1772 plug and nothing else. It has a 41.8 kWh battery pack with its usual charge offering up 35 kWh, the extended charge mode unlocking the full 41.8 kWh. In the winter its efficiency is 1.5-2.5 miles/kWh and in the summer 2.5-3.5 miles/kWh. It has a 10 kW on-board charger so if you have a 240V 40A EVSE in your garage it'll go from 0% to 100% state of charge in 4 hours and change.

There are about half a dozen RAV4 EVs around Denver. I've had Stevinson Toyota on Havana St work on this one before for software updates--this requires coordination with the regional Toyota rep since only he can work on it, but it is indeed possible to get it serviced out here.

Edmunds valuation without the extras of the extended warranty given the year and miles is $14,709. I will sell it for $14,000 even including these extras, because it does have several scratches (sides and hood, amply documented in the gallery below). Of note is that I just paid off its loan last night, so its clean title and a lien release letter will be forthcoming from my credit union in the next few weeks.

Tons of photos of it inside and out at this gallery: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDo8UsBO3wf3KQMR2 . The passenger seat looks dark since I just cleaned it, for the eagle-eyed.