Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
QTVR fun
that is pretty sweet. one can do the same thing with more "normal" 15mm rectangular (vs. circular 8mm) fisheyes, too, just more effort. i use panotools for that purpose, there is a pc version too, big surprise heh.

your darkfunk buddy never replied btw, oh well. i ended up getting a shure sm57 and am going to run it with no additional preamp into my usb audio box, that ostensibly has a preamp of its own. so i went cheap, yes: dynamic mic, no preamp, mono. looking at the prices of the good gear (which really does sound better :() only made me realize that i must get a job before engaging in any such flights of fancy...

deroyo

French Monkey Instigator Supreme!
Jul 3, 2001
Not on my BIKE!!!
Originally posted by Toshi
ah, but what model is it? :confused: :D
I used to have a Bach 7C...:cool:
Yes I played for 10 years!!!
If your mike was not going through your puter,I would had said an EV/RE-20,really warm sounding mic for a trumpet,actually for any brass.I can only recommend it for live and recording aplication.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by deroyo
I used to have a Bach 7C...:cool:
Yes I played for 10 years!!!
If your mike was not going through your puter,I would had said an EV/RE-20,really warm sounding mic for a trumpet,actually for any brass.I can only recommend it for live and recording aplication.
cool, thanks for the tip! at this point there's a whole list of mics i want to try out, since i can't make heads or tails of peoples' recommendations since they're so varied...

i've pretty much decided to go the two channel only route however (so as to be able to capture larger groups, such as brass quintets), so i think i'll have to check out omnis. do you have any thoughts on those?

ah, the 7C, everybody's first love. i certainly walked down that road, too: 7C, 5C, 3C, Schilke 14, then to my current (for the last 5 years and change) choice, Monette 2 series pieces.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
that is pretty sweet. one can do the same thing with more "normal" 15mm rectangular (vs. circular 8mm) fisheyes, too, just more effort. i use panotools for that purpose, there is a pc version too, big surprise heh.

is my understanding correct that the difference between the rectangular (or diagonal as I believe most people call them) and the circular fishes is that the circular actually gives you the same coverage but instad of distorting it into a rectangle, it actually gives you a the circular image?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is my understanding correct that the difference between the rectangular (or diagonal as I believe most people call them) and the circular fishes is that the circular actually gives you the same coverage but instad of distorting it into a rectangle, it actually gives you a the circular image?
well, the coverage is actually different: with a diagonal fisheye, you get 180 degrees diagonally (ie from bottom left to upper right), at least when shooting on a film camera. thus along the axes of the image itself you won't see 180 coverage. however, the image fills the whole frame with no dead space. with a circular fisheye the image projected onto the film plane (again, smaller digital sensors change things a bit) is circular, with every diameter of that circle corresponding to 180 degrees in real life.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and now, possibly due to brain imflammation from sickness, i feel like posting (with the new, correct path) my favorite riding pics from months and years past. part 1: night rides

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

sunny days at the trailhead:

:dead: :monkey:
ah, the memories ;) or have you lost them?

crazy ed sassler:

ok, that's it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
always pics of me falling off my bike... It's almost like you're trying to make me look like a big lanky uncoordinated oaf. <looks at avatar> ... oh yeah, nevermind.
ok, for parity

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
been itching to pick up a piccolo trumpet, denis or keith? well here's your chance! hehe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370103431
actually, you may want to pick up this, my sigma fisheye on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2976632095

aren't my pictures of it purdy? :D

why all the ebay action: boredom, realization that i don't use this stuff all that often, plus an intense and irrational desire to pour money into the pathfinder.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
actually, you may want to pick up this, my sigma fisheye on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2976632095

aren't my pictures of it purdy? :D

why all the ebay action: boredom, realization that i don't use this stuff all that often, plus an intense and irrational desire to pour money into the pathfinder.
uummm, was that "buy it now"? It's gone already, and I totally would have pad $310 for it.

...but, I really should be spending my $$ on a flash. Still waiting for a decent one to sell for less than $300.

PS. I think you sold that lens just so you could take macros of it and post them:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uummm, was that "buy it now"? It's gone already, and I totally would have pad $310 for it.

...but, I really should be spending my $$ on a flash. Still waiting for a decent one to sell for less than $300.

PS. I think you sold that lens just so you could take macros of it and post them:D
yeah, both the lens and the picc went overnight via buy it now. crazy!

actually, the pics of the lens were with the 50mm. yum. just get a 420ex for the flash. the 550 is really big, i'm not sure if you've messed around with it.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
yeah, both the lens and the picc went overnight via buy it now. crazy!

actually, the pics of the lens were with the 50mm. yum. just get a 420ex for the flash. the 550 is really big, i'm not sure if you've messed around with it.
i saw the 540ez, which I assume is similar size. The two things I like about the 550...

1. it can be master or slave
2. 550 has a full manual mode. I don't believe the 420 has that, but you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i saw the 540ez, which I assume is similar size. The two things I like about the 550...

1. it can be master or slave
2. 550 has a full manual mode. I don't believe the 420 has that, but you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.
true, true, but without another flash being able to act as master is useless. and yes, manual is only available on the 550ex, but if you really want that you could pick up a 420 and a cheap vivitar (that would only work in manual) for less dinero.

have you read this?

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#olderspeedlite

the EZ might not be a good one to go with as it wouldn't do E-TTL. i'd stick with the current 220EX/420EX/550EX lineup.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
new years brought with it a healthy storm, which in turn chopped down a fair bit of a power line. this brought a distinct lack of heat and electricity to the region for about 36 hours, maybe a shade less. :dead:

but i had to deliver my ebay goods to the post office, and to do that i needed the addresses, which were only on my email. so i went out for a long drive.

and saw this:

among other sights. see them all here:

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/daily/escaping the blackout - january 2, 2004/

also, any motorcycle riders in the audience?

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
after great effort, and at great price to my hands (thin, waxed thread kills!), the pathfinder now has a lovely stitched leather steering wheel cover:

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/daily/wheelskins install - january 9, 2004/

it cost $40 + about 4 hours of my labor.
spiffy...

in other news: Fisheye came today. too bad it's wasn't a canon mount as advertised. Hopefully it will get resolved easily, buuuut I'm not optimistic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
spiffy...

in other news: Fisheye came today. too bad it's wasn't a canon mount as advertised. Hopefully it will get resolved easily, buuuut I'm not optimistic.
ooh, that blows. sham ebay photo outfits are a big problem, yessiree.

btw, the canon 1D (not 10D) has apparently been discontinued as B&H isn't selling it anymore. that, plus the fact that PMAI 2004 is feb 12-15, leads me to believe that a 1D replacement is forthcoming. i might have to spring for that, finally trade up from 1.6x cropping factor.

that, or the motorcycle deal. dieing as a result of another driver is making me less keen on the idea tho.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as i head off to the library, i thought it might be a good thing to post my reading list. some of you out there might be literate monkeys, no? :eek:

the ones that have harvard call numbers are those that have been on my list for far too long :(

books to read:

juliana says to read books by dick king smitth

Life and death in Shanghai / Nien Cheng

Shadow Of The HegemonÂ_
Card, Orson Scott Â_

Speaker For The DeadÂ_
c1994
Card, Orson Scott Â_

Children Of The MindÂ_
Card, Orson Scott Â_

XenocideÂ_
Card, Orson Scott Â_

Ender's ShadowÂ_
Card, Orson Scott

Shadow PuppetsÂ_
Card, Orson Scott Â_

Ender's GameÂ_
Card, Orson Scott

XenocideÂ_
Card, Orson Scott

Ian McEwan, "The child in time"
WidenerÂ_WID-LCÂ_PR6063.C4Â_C45 1998x

paul farmer, "pathologies of power," "moving mountains"

Geons, Black Holes, and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
by John Archibald Wheeler, Kenneth Ford

Peter Matthiessen, At Play in the Fields of the Lord

~W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge

John D. MacDonald, The Green Ripper

Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Milan Kundera, Life Is Elsewhere

Alfred Kazin, A Walker in the City

Dao Strom, Grass Roof, Tin Roof

~D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

~Jorge Luis Borges, "The Garden of Forking Paths" from Fictions

tom robbins "even cowboys[ed: cowgirls] get the blues" "incognito" ...?

Armand Nicholi, "The question of God"
Widener 32044060599859

Gene Wolfe, "The Book of the New Sun."
WID-LC PS3573.O52Â_C5 1983
Harvard DepositoryÂ_PS3573.O52Â_C57 x, 1982Â_[Consult Circ. desk for HW97RB.]

Tom Wolfe, "A Man In Full."
WidenerÂ_WID-LCÂ_PS3573.O526Â_M26 1998

Henri Charrière, "Papillon."
WidenerÂ_Soc 2993.36.1, due 09/09/09

don delillo "white noise" and "underworld"

nabokov, "lolita"

christina garcia, _dreaming in cuban_.

_life and death in shanghi_ by nien cheng (a bourgeois woman's
experience in maoist china)

_child of the dark: the diary of carolina maria de jesus_ (a harrowing, but
touching, account of life in brazil's favelas)

carlos castenada's _the teachings of don juan_ (goofy, really)

_lizard_ by banana yoshimoto (i liked _kitchen_ better)

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting , M Kundera

Chopin: The Four Ballades , J Samson
not found.

Far from the Madding Crowd , T Hardy

In the Skin of a Lion , M. Ondaatje

A Walker in the City , Alfred Kazin
not found.

My Legendary Girlfriend , M. Gayle

Bonjour Tristesse , F. Sagan

An Underachiever's Diary , B. Anastas

On Love , A. de Botton

Goodbye Tsugumi , B. Yamamoto

Robert und Clara: Briefe einer Liebe ;Bookends , J. Green

Piano Pieces , R Sherman

The Last-Chance Saloon , M Keyes

The Horse's Mouth , J. Cary

"candide", voltaire

"design patterns", by Erich Gamma (Author), Richard Helm (Author), Ralph Johnson (Author), John Vlissides(Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201633612/002-6098233-4360065?v=glance

richard westfall, "never at rest"

books i've read recently:

David Foster Wallace, "Infinite Jest."
Hilles PS3573.A425635Â_I54 1995, due 7/31/02

Neil Gaimon, "Neverwhere."
Widener WID-LCÂ_PS3557.A3519Â_N48 1996xÂ_[Label mounted on front endpaper: "Limited edition. Number 320 of 500."]

james gleick, "genius"
(only skimmed, same material as "surely you're joking mr. feynman" but not as readable)

Wolfram, "A New Kind of Science."
Wolbach LibraryÂ_QA267.5 .C45Â_W67 2002

Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle," "Slaughterhouse Five,"
Widener ALB 7333.152
WidenerÂ_WID-LCÂ_PS3572.O5Â_S6 1994
"Hocus Pocus", "Player Piano."
HillesÂ_PS3572.O5Â_H6 1990
LamontÂ_PS3572.O5Â_P55 x, 1974

Neal Stephenson, "Diamond Age," "Snow Crash."
WidenerÂ_WID-LCÂ_PS3569.T3868Â_D53 1995
WidenerÂ_Harvard DepositoryÂ_PS3569.T3868Â_S65 2000xÂ_[Consult Circ. Desk for HXEW5X.]
"cryptonomicon"
"zodiac"
"quicksilver"

"Enders Game", orson scott card

Umberto Eco, "Foucalt's Pendulum" and "Name of the Rose"

Nick Hornby, "About a Boy"

Douglas Hofstadter, "Godel, Escher, Bach"

Philip K. Dick, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", "The Simulacra," and "A Scanner Darkly"
Lamont PS3554.I3Â_D6 1996x

Pat Conroy, "The Lords of Discipline" and "Beach Music"

Steven J Gould, "Full House."
Cabot Science: QH366.2Â_.G842 1996

Steven J. Gould, "The Mismeasure of Man"
WID-LCÂ_BF431Â_.G68 1996

Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon,"
WidenerÂ_WID-LCÂ_PS3569.T3868Â_C79 1999

William Gibson, "Neuromancer."
LamontÂ_PS3557.I2264Â_N48 1994

the davinci code

"fury", salman rushdie

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in riding around the driveway and street just now, i figured a few more tips that help me, at least, to manual more consistently:

1. hold onto the bars with a strong grip. let go of the brakes completely at low speed, give the bars the ol' death grip. at high speed keep just one finger on the rear brake, and keep those other ones tight. somehow i'd fallen into the practice of holding the bars very loosely.

2. keep the arms as straight as possible

3. don't fight anything with the legs, it will just keep you from pulling up the bike, and, once up, from moving as you need to to balance. concentrate on having the legs feel as wobbly as possible, and sink down into your knees. keep them bent, in other words

4. practice looping out while standing still with the brakes off, deathgrip as above. this will improve confidence. don't hurt yourself or else it won't tho :D

little rides like this, and their accompanying chance for pedagogy ;) , are what make having the evil worthwhile. :thumb:

E

endtroducing

That's a great list you've posted, i'll need to start checking a lot of those out myself, Toshi. of those i've read/own:

- Kundera's Unbearable Lightness
- Lawrence's Women in Love
- Borges (I have his collection Labrynths, which includes The Garden of Forking Paths, in addition to a many short stories, essays, and letters)
- Wolfe's A Man in Full (not at all what i expected)
- Delillo's Underworld (actually took a whole class on it in highschool, a Great American Novel Study.)
- Nabokov's Lolita (I enjoyed his Pnin as well)
- Voltaire's Candide (fell in love with his writings freshman year during my hardcore libertarian and anti-establishment days)
- Nearly all Vonnegut's works, less Galapagos and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, and maybe one or two others. Potentially my favorite author.
- Eco's Name of the Rose ( I LOVE that book, was rereading one of my old essay's last night on it actually, on william and jorge's respective views of evil, concluding that, for each other, they were the anti-christ.)

Recently, I've read:
- John Irving's Hotel New Hampshire and A Prayer for Owen Meany (very nostalgic for me. i MISS new england.)
- E.M. Forster's The Longest Journey
- David Browne's Dream Brother, the dual biography of father and son cult rock legend's Tim and Jeff Buckley. GOD this was good. I've since bought nearly all of Jeff's catalog, and am starting in on Tim's.
- David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
- James Clavell's Shogun
- Camus' The Stranger
- Delillo's Mao II

I'm currently amidst:

- Joyce's Ulysses
- Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow
- Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov
(its going to take a while :))

Books i've bought or checked out, and wait patiently to be opened:

- Yalom's When Nietzsche Wept
- Saramago's Blindness
- Heidegger's Being and Time
- Murakami's Dance Dance Dance
- Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale
- Butler's Kindred
- Sterne's The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy
- Auster's In the Country of Last Things
- Kundera's Immortality
- Keller's Catch-22
- Faulkner's the Sound and the Fury

as for all the books i want to read...well, i'll gone before that could possible be achieved :dead: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for the post. and thanks for mentioning murakami, too! shortly before making this list (which dates from about 1.5 years ago at the earliest) i went through a distinct murakami stage and read all of his books i could get my hands on.

and now all of the books you've mentioned have been added to my list, too. the sound and the fury is one that i've been avoiding forever but feel that i should read...

E

endtroducing

thanks for the post. and thanks for mentioning murakami, too! shortly before making this list (which dates from about 1.5 years ago at the earliest) i went through a distinct murakami stage and read all of his books i could get my hands on.

and now all of the books you've mentioned have been added to my list, too. the sound and the fury is one that i've been avoiding forever but feel that i should read...
You're most welcome. i've recently started to try and fill in the gaps of modern "classics" i haven't had the time or inclination to read.

On the Road, Sound and the Fury, Brother's K, Catch-22, Ulysses...

The three i'm reading right now have been daunting me for years. I was supposed to read the Brother's K in high school, but ended up reading Underworld instead. I have started and stopped Gravity's Rainbow on 3 separate occassions. It's hand's down the hardest book i've ever attempted to read (much more so than say, Beckett's Molloy) I'm resolving myself to push through it though without buying one of the companion guides. My ploy is to start structuring my journal entries around my progress. I've just hit my stride in Ulysses and am really starting to enjoy it.

Before you head off to med school is a GREAT time to catch up on reading. :) I took the past year off from school to work, and about all that's kept me sane waiting for next semester to start is keeping my nose in a book every night.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, kerouac is my other obsession! you get props just by your literature choices :thumb: heh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
time to head off to the airport. parting thoughts: "neverwhere" is a fun read (read it on sunday night), and "infinite jest" is awfully thick. if duke is boring i'll get through it. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm, the database crash managed to wipe out all my job-talk. well, it's on in any case. i'm driving up tomorrow, start wednesday morning.

:eek:

:dead:

i don't have enough dressy clothes!

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
here's some pics I took for a frend's band's website/presskit. sorry the vertical ones still come out small on the site. I'm working on how to fix that gracefully with my batch processor...

(taste explosion link)
www.phoben.com/photos/people_and_places/2003

new equipment in this batch: circular polarizing filter
verdict: really cool effects, but you gotta watch out for the 2-stop shift so you don't accidently shoot really low shutter speeds.

problems in this batch: too much contrast on the balcony shots.
anyone have hints for fixing that?

and some p-shop magic: