Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that picture is scary. to reduce contrast shoot raw and select lower contrast :o: hehe . also, link non-functional

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
and no more 'you should shoot RAW' cracks. I sucked it up and switched to RAW long (2-3 months) ago... although you are indeed right.
sweet. i like the pics. if you buy Adobe Camera Raw you can tweak the raw files even more. i dig it. how is alec doing btw? also, i think the low-angle balcony shot w/sky showing is effective, but they're all standing too straight up. also the rule of thirds off-centeredness is getting a little out of hand perhaps :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Toshi
sweet. i like the pics. if you buy Adobe Camera Raw you can tweak the raw files even more. i dig it. how is alec doing btw? also, i think the low-angle balcony shot w/sky showing is effective, but they're all standing too straight up. also the rule of thirds off-centeredness is getting a little out of hand perhaps :D
alec is cillin' going to berkley and tryin to decide if he really wants to be a musician.

problem with cameraraw is that I don't have ps7, and I'm not going to shell out $600 or whatever redic. price it is to buy CS. If you know of a cheaper way to upgrade I'm all for hearing it.

as far as the rule of thirds (I assume you're referring to the individual shots), it wasn't deliberate... I had actually planned to crop them so they were only half-faces in the frame, but when I got them on the screen I liked them the way they were so I decided to leave well-enough alone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
harvard has a keyserved copy of pshop 7 no? or just talk a ua into giving you a disc... ah, ok. if you meant to crop them close that makes sense. just with all the blown out background and a tiny sliver of face...

here are two of my efforts in this vein (the b&w one shot by ari at the boston common movie theater :thumb: )

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
harvard has a keyserved copy of pshop 7 no? or just talk a ua into giving you a disc... ah, ok. if you meant to crop them close that makes sense. just with all the blown out background and a tiny sliver of face...

keyserved ver. is still 5.5 Maybe Thad can hook me up with 7

I like the BW

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i start work in about two hours. cool thing is that i have web access in my (hotel) room via my bluetooth cell phone and gprs. lame thing(s) are that i can't get file sharing access to my webserver, and ssh of all sorts doesn't seem to work over gprs. therefore there will be no new website updates until i find an apartment with real internet access. plus 4.4 KB/sec download is a bit slow methinks :eek: :dead:

also lame is that i don't have a laptop. we'll see what hardware the company is going to let me use/what i'll have to buy... hmm.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for the laptop info, thad. looks like i won't need one after all. they provided me with a hp desktop. not too bad of a setup, the lcd is only 1024x768 (and analog so kinda fuzzy compared to my adc/dvi apple at 1280x1024) but it's a pentium 4 and has firewire ports.

when i'm on the road the company will simply deal with my laptoplessness. haha :eek:

E

endtroducing

so toshi, i missed if you posted it elsewhere, but what does this new job entail?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by endtroducing
so toshi, i missed if you posted it elsewhere, but what does this new job entail?
(i'm on lunch break now, back in my room)

i'm now a it guy for a hotel chain's corporate office. this makes me employee #7 :eek: . i haven't done anything too interesting, or even mildly interesting so far. but supposedly i will be in for much travel in the future, possibly to colorado next week. to fix things at one of the hotels, of course. but still.

:dead:

E

endtroducing

(i'm on lunch break now, back in my room)

i'm now a it guy for a hotel chain's corporate office. this makes me employee #7 :eek: . i haven't done anything too interesting, or even mildly interesting so far. but supposedly i will be in for much travel in the future, possibly to colorado next week. to fix things at one of the hotels, of course. but still.

:dead:
hmm, still sounds pretty cool though, i'm a sucker for most any travel (lots of time to read on the plane?) Oh and they DEFINITELY should be giving you a laptop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by endtroducing
hmm, still sounds pretty cool though, i'm a sucker for most any travel (lots of time to read on the plane?) Oh and they DEFINITELY should be giving you a laptop.
now that i think of it, it would probably be just as well to not have one ;) . just means i can be less useful on the road, woot.

yes, i'm posting during working hours. on the second day mwahaha. it took this long because i didn't have a computer w/net connection until yesterday night :D . also i'm waiting on openoffice to download.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
some vagrant broke into my car while it was in the public garage. broke the passenger window, stole my jacket yet left the valentine1. :dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that blows. (except for him not stealing the most expensive thing in your car) how's the insurance?
i don't think i'm going to hit the insurance up, it's $135 to replace, not worth it. insurance is the biggest scam of all... :rolleyes:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
28mm lens came today. looks like it's a had quite a bit of use but the glass is in pretty good shape, it came with a UV protector and seems to take decent pics.

Here's it is (if you look closely at the reflection in the lens, you can see how I bounced the flash. I didn't quite get the angle right to get it out of the pic):

one more of the lens and one with it

the flash is awesome btw, the last pic in the gallery was taken in a totally dark room.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
or not. I really like the way it looks with the polarizer, and it's a really handy all-purpose lens.
eh, sell it and buy a s400. i found out my title today when i finally signed my contract, and i am "IT Director" :D hehe. straight from being a UA to this. i also wrote a bunch of html and perl code today. the html works -- i can test this. but the perl is entirely untested. it seems that no one knows how to get access to the webserver... :rolleyes: they even had the hosting company wrong at first. oh well. lazy afternoons + posting to this thread while at work == the new hotness.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
eh, sell it and buy a s400. i found out my title today when i finally signed my contract, and i am "IT Director" :D hehe. straight from being a UA to this. i also wrote a bunch of html and perl code today. the html works -- i can test this. but the perl is entirely untested. it seems that no one knows how to get access to the webserver... :rolleyes: they even had the hosting company wrong at first. oh well. lazy afternoons + posting to this thread while at work == the new hotness.
what's the dollar figure on this lack of work that you do?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hehe, sat night foosball tournament. oh wait, i used to do those :dead: (2nd place singles and doubles in quincy tournament, aw yeah)

i shot some frames with a D100 and sigma 12-24 and 15-30 lenses today. if the 12-24 shots look decent i am going to buy that lens (my first zoom! well, since the 70-200 f/4 L) after i get my first paycheck :D

hotness. also i signed a lease on an apartment. feel so grown up, ya know ;)

oh, and one more thing: the cops called, and apparently they caught the guy who broke my window and retrieved my ski jacket. maybe i'll even be able to shake the bum down for the window replacement cost in small claims court if he is not totally broke, we'll see :mad:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
hehe, sat night foosball tournament. oh wait, i used to do those :dead: (2nd place singles and doubles in quincy tournament, aw yeah)

i shot some frames with a D100 and sigma 12-24 and 15-30 lenses today. if the 12-24 shots look decent i am going to buy that lens (my first zoom! well, since the 70-200 f/4 L) after i get my first paycheck :D

hotness. also i signed a lease on an apartment. feel so grown up, ya know ;)

oh, and one more thing: the cops called, and apparently they caught the guy who broke my window and retrieved my ski jacket. maybe i'll even be able to shake the bum down for the window replacement cost in small claims court if he is not totally broke, we'll see :mad:
a zoom lens? Toshi are you okay? Housekeeping must have put something in that mint they leave on your pillow.

but seriously...
what's the motivation? Just don't have anything to cover those lengths? 12-24 and 15-30 are pretty small ranges as zooms go.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a zoom lens? Toshi are you okay? Housekeeping must have put something in that mint they leave on your pillow.

but seriously...
what's the motivation? Just don't have anything to cover those lengths? 12-24 and 15-30 are pretty small ranges as zooms go.
i'm looking for the magic bullet, that is, a wide, sharp non-fisheye lens. unfortunately the 12-24 is _not_ it. the 15-30 beats it soundly in my informal comparison (which will be posted tomorrow since i can't post through my cell phone connection). agh.

maybe i should try out the 17-40 f/4 L. these lenses only are their sharpest around f/8 anyway, so having a fast max f-stop is not essential...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
i'm looking for the magic bullet, that is, a wide, sharp non-fisheye lens. unfortunately the 12-24 is _not_ it. the 15-30 beats it soundly in my informal comparison (which will be posted tomorrow since i can't post through my cell phone connection). agh.

maybe i should try out the 17-40 f/4 L. these lenses only are their sharpest around f/8 anyway, so having a fast max f-stop is not essential...
then why not buy prime? (god, I sound like you) sigma makes a 20 f/1.8

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
also procrastination:

er, i don't know quite what to say

:eek: :D

yeah, i have thought about going primes. looks like i might have to do that, too. the thing is that even the 15-30 is wider than the decent non-fish primes (of which the widest i'd say is the 17mm tokina at-x pro. the 14mm ones are no good, so i've heard)

also i am thinking tonight that maybe i could get a cheap (under 5k) car instead of a motorcycle. what sports cars fit that bill, eh? might be safer...

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
er, i don't know quite what to say

yeah, i have thought about going primes. looks like i might have to do that, too. the thing is that even the 15-30 is wider than the decent non-fish primes (of which the widest i'd say is the 17mm tokina at-x pro. the 14mm ones are no good, so i've heard)

also i am thinking tonight that maybe i could get a cheap (under 5k) car instead of a motorcycle. what sports cars fit that bill, eh? might be safer...
what kind of shooting do you have in mind for this new not-quite-but-almost-fisheye lens?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what kind of shooting do you have in mind for this new not-quite-but-almost-fisheye lens?
i dunno, night shot stuff of buildings? maybe i can get arrested for being a potential terrorist if i keep that habit up :eek:

i have cooled on the idea after seeing how lackluster the lens was in real life btw. sample pics are up, file names should be self-explanatory:

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/miscellaneous/an informal wide angle lens comparison - january 25 2004/

also have pics of my apartment hunt mentioned a few posts back (from sunday) up

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/daily/apartment hunting - january 25 2004/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
another resolution of a previous thread-topic: company is providing a dell laptop for my use on the road. plus i'm not doing grunt work, coded in perl all day/going to read all tomorrow, really :D . hehe

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
i dunno, night shot stuff of buildings? maybe i can get arrested for being a potential terrorist if i keep that habit up :eek:

i have cooled on the idea after seeing how lackluster the lens was in real life btw. sample pics are up, file names should be self-explanatory:

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/miscellaneous/an informal wide angle lens comparison - january 25 2004/

also have pics of my apartment hunt mentioned a few posts back (from sunday) up

http://harvard03.ath.cx/images/daily/apartment hunting - january 25 2004/

What ISO did you shoot the test pics at? They're super grainy. It still looks like they werent too sharp, but I wonder how much of that had to do with the lighting.

also, testpic link is broken. I had to find it from the parent

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What ISO did you shoot the test pics at? They're super grainy. It still looks like they werent too sharp, but I wonder how much of that had to do with the lighting.

also, testpic link is broken. I had to find it from the parent
ya, it's the camera's fault! shot them on the nikon d100 demo unit at the counter, the guy didn't have the 12-24 in canon mount. all were at iso 800. if you look at the sigma 15-30 f/8 shots you can see that decent sharpness was theoretically possible even given the shutter speeds and high iso noise.

makes one glad to shoot canon w/their nice clean cmos sensors, no? :eek:

i think the link might be broken b/c my computer somehow insists on removing commas from filenames before burning cross platform cds? oddness.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
did you read the announcement about the 1D MkII? 8.2 megapixels, 8.5 fps :eek: and that smooth canon cmos look we've all come to love.

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6451-6636

plus two new zooms, the 70-300 DO (DO being diffractive optics) and a 28-300L, both with image stabilization:

http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6451-6676

finally, here is the hotel i visited on wed/thurs on business:

rest of images here:

http://tjclark.ath.cx/images/trips/estes park - january 27-29 2004/

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i thought about riding to work. it's only a mile or two at the most, walkable on nice days. but parking for the bike is a pain in cities, portland is just filled with bums pushing shopping carts around. and altho i doubt any would have an allen set and a proclivity to swipe bike parts i don't want to take that chance. as a result my bikes will be expensive yet pretty room ornaments in my living room :D partially making up for my lack of furniture.

also, now that i'm actually making money, i'm toying with reviving my get-a-private-pilot's license idea... perhaps instead of motorcycle, or in place of superfluous camera-upgrade schemes... hmm. an interesting time this is -- living is more fun when one is not unemployed and living at home.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a fun link:

http://canonusapressroom.com/html/show_all_image.asp?ImageName=EOS-1D+MARK+II

also, for those keeping track, i've just about ditched the old idea of getting a pilot's license. too expensive (~$6k + seat time at $75/hr even after completion) for something i couldn't do all that often. so instead i'm going to soldier on and see if i can scrape enough money to get a motorcycle of some sort and this fancy new camera body, once it is actually available to the public...

other mesg of the day: girls suck. i am one bitter old man already at age 22 ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
new riding pics for the first time in forever:

only these two tho. skating is "riding", right? :D

i only shot two because a) the burnside skatepark crowd is very tough and anti-photo "exploitation" :rolleyes: and b) my d30's autofocus simply doesn't work at night when shooting outside the range of the af assist light on the flash, and with the 135mm mounted up tonight it certainly wasn't cutting it. putting on a shorter lens and getting close really isn't an option in such a big skatepark. i'm kind of sick of shooting people i don't know, i think i'll leave the camera behind next time i head out to the park (tomorrow i plan on visiting three, for instance), and relegate the d30 to urban architecture duty: