Quantcast

Total n00b needs help getting started and picking a bike.

uli2000

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
After many long years of not taking care of myself, Im working at trying to get back to be at least a fraction of the man I once was. As part of my excercise plans, I want to start cycling again. About 10 years ago, cycling was my primary mode of transportation. I lived in a hilly coastal area of Brittan and rode 15-20 miles a day. Since moving back to the states 9 years ago, well, I really have let myself go. Id like to find a bike that would be used about 60-70% of the time on the road and $30-40% on light trails (no crazy downhill stuff for me, thank you!).

Currently, I'm about 5'8" in the 325 lb region. My biggest problem it seems with finding the right bike is that I have a relativley long torso and short legs (inseam is about 29"). Hope to keep it $500 or less, but dont want to go so cheap I'm buying crap. Also, I'm in a relativley rural area, so going to my local bike shop really isnt an option. Closest metro areas are Las Vegas or Salt Lake City, so if anyone knows any good shops in those areas that would be great. So far, I was consitering something like the Scott sportster p4 or p5, but also though about just getting a cheap road bike now and getting a cheap mtb in the spring/summer. Anything else I should consiter/be looking at? Any tips to help get started?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
From what I've heard around the local bike shops, it's all about finding a bike that fits. I bought a $200 used bike from a local shop. It's a specialized Rock-somethin. It only has front suspension. Even though it looks pretty beat up, they made sure it fit me correctly and I'm very happy. I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam and they put me on a 16" frame.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
At your weight you are going to want something fairly upright, you're also going to need some pretty solid rims. I would scout around for a used steel full rigid Trek from the early 90s that is in decent shape. Ride that until you are under 200 and then reward yourself with a sweeter ride. :)

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Do not buy a bike with a 7 speed rear wheel, I repeat do not buy a bike with a 7 speed rear wheel. The cheaper 7speed systems are inherently weker than 8 & 9 speed drivetrains. look for a shop that carries Specialized and look for a close out Hardrock comp or sport.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Look for a local shop that carries very good value brands. Some of them are Giant, Haro, Specialized, and Jamis. There are certainly others that carry complete bikes that will sit your criteria well, but those are a few to keep in mind. You can find a flat-bar road bike that can handle some knobbier cyclocross type tires.

Jamis had the Coda series.
Giant has the FCR series.

Don't waste your time buying a mountain bike if you are riding primarily on the pavement. It will eventually frustrate you. On the road you want a different type of bike. Slicker tires can co-exist with an upright and comfortable riding position.

As someone stepping into the realm of cycling, the hands-on assistance of a local shop is valuable. Working with your local bike shop (i.e.- LBS) will allow you to find a bike in your price range that meshes well with the fit that you need as well as the riding that you expect to do. If a shop does not want to take the time to listen to your needs, or wants to put you on some suspension mountain bike or drop-bar road bike (when there are plenty of flat-bar bikes out now), then leave and check out the next shop. You are spending a good chunk of money; don't buy of the internet based upon what some person thinks might fit you.

For a long torso and short legs, you may wind up wanting the shop to swap out a stem for you to make sure that the bar reach is comfortable. Or you may wind up with a seatpost height that is a bit high, so you may need some extra rise in the stem/bars. Having a shop swap out parts to fit your particular reach is vital. Don't skimp and get some ill-fitting bike through the mail or at a local department or sporting-goods store. The extra effort it takes to go to a qualified shop to fit you well will pay off.

Find the right fit and application for you, and good luck. I am sure that I am not the only one hoping that you find a great bike that hooks you on getting out to ride again (and a lot). In the last ten years there have been a lot of advances that get you a lot more technology and dependability for your money, so you will no doubt be happy with the bike you get.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't want to send a poster to the "competition", but there are several people on http://bikeforums.net that are well over 400 pounds! I think there's a guy who started 'walking' as exercise that was pushing 600 pounds and rewarded himself with a very durable bicycle when he got down to 500. Last I heard, he rode himself to 450 pounds!

Point is, there are bikes out there for heavy riders, guys much larger than you.

I think some of those large guys found a Kona Hoss -- http://www.konaworld.com/08_hoss_w.htm -- with a rigid (no shock absorber) fork.

See if you can find a new, old stock Kona rigid from like 2006?

uli2000

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for the advice (and encouragement). Im glad I just didnt go ahead and buy the first think I looked at. I dont think I will make it to a LBS untill next week since I live about 250 miles away from anywhere that would have a decent shop. Hopefully next time I post it will be after my 1st ride.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Never heard of Ely, but at least it's a beautiful state, yeah?

Just think, a few years from now, you'll be 160 pounds and taking a multi-day ride to that 250 mile away bike shop :)

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
You may want to spend an extra 100$ and buy a rear wheel mag trainer or get one used. It's the only way to be consistent w/frequency.

It's much easier to ride for 30 minutes in front of a fan and TV when you're lacking motivation. That's what I do. I tell myself "20 or 30 minutes is better than nother...and there has to be something interesting on TV." SOmetimes it's just too much of a production to get dressed properly, load-up and set out on the road. Especially with kids.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I think some of those large guys found a Kona Hoss -- http://www.konaworld.com/08_hoss_w.htm -- with a rigid (no shock absorber) fork.

See if you can find a new, old stock Kona rigid from like 2006?
That's a good choice or something like the Kona Smoke(or Smoke 2-9 -- bigger wheels). I would stay away from and skinny tire roadie bike(21-25c tires), and find something that fits a wider tire(1.5"-2.0").