Quantcast

totally thursday

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
ooh that looks moist and delicious

moist
My initial concerns were they were too moist. Meaning, the masa wasn't fully cooked. Nothing more frustrating than unwrapping a tamale to find raw masa. Luckily, that was not the case here. My fears were unfounded.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
when you die and go to hell you will be forced to eat tamales in a tesla
I live in a majority latino town. I eat tamales fairly frequently. There are families selling them on corners my neighborhood on most sunny days, winter included. I just don't think they're the super unique special authentic honkey fascination that you apparently do.

I like that you can stuff them in a backpack and they are mostly uncrushable.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
They can be really good, but they are not something I would ever order at a restaurant when so many other things with interesting salsas, moles, carnes, etc are also available.
But damn they are good microwaved at midnight, with a little guacamole and salsa habañero slathered over them.
So, uhh…yeah.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
True story: Every once in a while there's a lady that drives around a truck at the office complex where my work is selling tamales out of coolers....a pretty common thing in the area. She sells these awful velveeta filled pieces of shit as quickly as possible and then gets the hell out of the area because she knows how easy it is to scam white people when you say 'tamale' :rofl:

Every time it happens all these emails go out from the business park landlord warning of the tamale scam!!! Beware. I think it's the funniest god damn thing in the world every time it happens. Her biggest crime? INAUTHENTIC TAMALES :rofl:

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
mostly overrated

white people conversation pieces more than anything

This will be proven by the reactions you're about to see to this post.
I've have never had one either.

So it's similar to white people talking about their love for Tapas all over again?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They can be really good, but they are not something ai would ever order at a restaurant when so many other things with interesting salsas, moles, carnes, etc are also available.
But damn they are good microwaved at midnight, with a little guacamole and salsa habañero slathered over them.
So, uhh…yeah.
Hey guys! We got a real cynical asshole here and definitely not someone who knows food!

Get him! The sanctity of tamales has been defiled! :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That haggis shit everyone heckles gary about seems pretty unique and distinctly colonial
Yeah - but do you *like* it?

Given your propensity for good eatin, I would wager that you make better tamales than most sought after sources.
I've no doubt... but those things are a lot of work. Just ask @eric strt6.

There's a place in Fairplay, CO, of all places, that is rumored to have *excellent* tamales - sadly, the fuckin' joint has been closed EVERY single time I've been through town. :rant:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There is a "famous" tamale place here in Yakima that gets some serious play in the local/regional news. They're terrible.

We get them at Christmas from family friends usually. Thats it basically unless I run across something like this here today. There is a restaurant that makes good tamales but they cost a large sum and its nor worth it.

6 for 10 bucks today... salsa was spicy. Shoulda got a full dozen.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Hey guys! We got a real cynical asshole here and definitely not someone who knows food!

Get him! The sanctity of tamales has been defiled! :rofl:
I actually often like the frozen ones better than ‘fresh’ ones, so there.
I went down the rabbit hole and made 75 or 100 of them once, never again. Too much labor without an indentured catholic family of Abuelitas y niñas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've triggered folks on a few occasions when they are talking about 'authentic' Thai, Indian, Italian, Chinese, Irish food and I remind them that a lot of the critical ingredients actually came from the Americas. A nice llama mole might be authentic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I live in a majority latino town. I eat tamales fairly frequently. There are families selling them on corners my neighborhood on most sunny days, winter included. I just don't think they're the super unique special authentic honkey fascination that you apparently do.

I like that you can stuff them in a backpack and they are mostly uncrushable.
you overestimate my love of tamales and underestimate my love of giving you shit

:busted:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wtf makes something "authentic"? Is it the nationality of person cooking it? Their adherence to the original recipe? All this talk of eating "authentic" foods feels like people wanting to feel special for engaging in the most basic of human needs.