Quantcast

Tour BC....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I kinda have beef with him. It's pretty minor but beef none the less. He accepted a spot in the red bull last year only to withdraw due to "mechanical failure" he was pretty much just scared, which is fine, but don't go all the way up the mtn. and then back down, screwing the next in line. just pull out or better yet decline the invite.Because he did that others who deserved to get a chance didn't. I have only seen him ride in Kranked 5 and what an ass clown he made of himself on that snow jump and ladder gap. Both were gnarly stunts but he was so far off that it just made him look encouragable. It's like someone says hey chris see that dangerous stunt over there? go give it a shot. And chris goes uh...awright and then basically ass rapes himself. Other than that at the Red Bull he was acting real cocky and talkin' smack about peoples lines and just all together coming off like a jerk. I really hate talking crap but he puts himself out there for it so.....anyway rant over. He might be a nice guy but it doesn't seem like it.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Originally posted by punkassean
He accepted a spot in the red bull last year only to withdraw due to "mechanical failure" he was pretty much just scared, which is fine, but don't go all the way up the mtn. and then back down, screwing the next in line. just pull out or better yet decline the invite.Because he did that others who deserved to get a chance didn't.
Word. That should be a thread in itself.

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
And...how 'bout the site? please dont hijack to talk about some apparent jerk, I want feedback about West Coast Freeride Guides not Chris Glue.
Thank you, now returning to your normally broadcasted entertainment....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
both of the sites posted look pretty cool, IMHO you are better off just putting together your own trip. That way you can save money and get to see more. If you try to cram more into less time obviously you will have to sacrifice certain things. I have a 10 (riding) days trip planned to whistler again this summer, including travel from California it will cost me almost exactly $1000US. Those camps cost like $5XX or more for 5 days if I remember correctly. Speaking from my experiences, it would be ideal to be able to spend about a week at whistler and then maybe 3-4 days on the shore or in Kamloops/Kelowna. But I would rather spend 5 days straight at whistler then 1 day here, 1 day there, etc. I went up to B.C. for my first time last summer and had more fun than I've had in a long time just riding whistler for 8 or 9 days straight. Now with Garbanzo it will only be better. As far as thread hijacking goes...it helps to keep your post near the top of the list so it can't be that bad.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
punkassean said:
I kinda have beef with him. It's pretty minor but beef none the less. He accepted a spot in the red bull last year only to withdraw due to "mechanical failure" he was pretty much just scared, which is fine, but don't go all the way up the mtn. and then back down, screwing the next in line. just pull out or better yet decline the invite.Because he did that others who deserved to get a chance didn't. I have only seen him ride in Kranked 5 and what an ass clown he made of himself on that snow jump and ladder gap. Both were gnarly stunts but he was so far off that it just made him look encouragable. It's like someone says hey chris see that dangerous stunt over there? go give it a shot. And chris goes uh...awright and then basically ass rapes himself. Other than that at the Red Bull he was acting real cocky and talkin' smack about peoples lines and just all together coming off like a jerk. I really hate talking crap but he puts himself out there for it so.....anyway rant over. He might be a nice guy but it doesn't seem like it.
Have you ever ridden with Glew? I have - he rips - were you at the Rampage? I was, I helped him carry his bike down the lower part of the mountain after it blew to pieces...

he didn't "pull-out" - he picked an extremely technical line for his first run, he landed and his rear-end just exploded (hard to say what happened first - the spokes were all blown up and caught everything else) - the whole explosion of his rear sieze up the back and threw him over the bars - he had a bad crash and his bike went a further 60 feet or more down into a canyon - and was unridable

he was dq'd for not finishing his run (neither he nor his bike were in any shape to finish - and by the time he could have gotten his unridable bike out of the cyn, time had expired)

so what's your beef? that he tried a line nobody but Cedric did? that his bike failed him? Did he take YOUR place in the Rampage?

you admit you've "only seen him ride in Kranked 5" - so what do you know of his riding? - the filmakers of Kranked 5 did a hatchet job on Chris - they showed him stacking time & again, but DIDN'T show all the times he stuck drops! - if you only showed the times he nailed stuff - everybody would be like "Damn! Glew is SOOOOO SICK!"

EVERYBODY crashes - especially when they are trying new drops (especially in the snow or wet North Shore) - you could make a crash video of probably every rider out there (and I include amazing riders like Super T or Lopes or Berecloth - all who have been injured - how did that happen? THEY STACKED) - and if that's all you had seen, you'd think they sucked too!

Glew rides with Dangerous Dan and Super T etc. - he rides very well & he's young - keep your eyes open, you'll see some very sick stuff from Chris down the road, I'm sure.....

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
DHTRAVELER said:
And...how 'bout the site? please dont hijack to talk about some apparent jerk, I want feedback about West Coast Freeride Guides not Chris Glue.
Thank you, now returning to your normally broadcasted entertainment....
I don't know those guys (West Coast...) - I went with the guys on Freeride Tours.com - great trip, incredible riding! I'd recommend them wholeheartedly....if the West Coast guys are anything like Freeridetours, I'd say go for it - it's a great way of seeing trails you never would any other way....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Macrider said:
Have you ever ridden with Glew? I have - he rips - were you at the Rampage? I was, I helped him carry his bike down the lower part of the mountain after it blew to pieces...

he didn't "pull-out" - he picked an extremely technical line for his first run, he landed and his rear-end just exploded (hard to say what happened first - the spokes were all blown up and caught everything else) - the whole explosion of his rear sieze up the back and threw him over the bars - he had a bad crash and his bike went a further 60 feet or more down into a canyon - and was unridable

he was dq'd for not finishing his run (neither he nor his bike were in any shape to finish - and by the time he could have gotten his unridable bike out of the cyn, time had expired)

so what's your beef? that he tried a line nobody but Cedric did? that his bike failed him? Did he take YOUR place in the Rampage?

you admit you've "only seen him ride in Kranked 5" - so what do you know of his riding? - the filmakers of Kranked 5 did a hatchet job on Chris - they showed him stacking time & again, but DIDN'T show all the times he stuck drops! - if you only showed the times he nailed stuff - everybody would be like "Damn! Glew is SOOOOO SICK!"

EVERYBODY crashes - especially when they are trying new drops (especially in the snow or wet North Shore) - you could make a crash video of probably every rider out there (and I include amazing riders like Super T or Lopes or Berecloth - all who have been injured - how did that happen? THEY STACKED) - and if that's all you had seen, you'd think they sucked too!

Glew rides with Dangerous Dan and Super T etc. - he rides very well & he's young - keep your eyes open, you'll see some very sick stuff from Chris down the road, I'm sure.....
Although I haven ever ridden with Chris Glew, I was there (RBR) and I have video footage of him (and probably you) walking his not very apparently broken bike down the hill. Although he didn't take my place in the RBR he did potentially take the place of two if not three very good friends of mine (alternates) who could have actually podiumed if not won the contest given the chance. Even if Glew sticks "some" sick drops, anybody who would roll of that snow drop in kranked 5 at 5 miles per hour obviously can't calculate speed/distance well enough to compete in an event like the rampage. I am full well aware that all the top pros stack but I am also aware that they do so less than guys like you or me, that is part of the reason they are pros. They are more calculated and precise. Did Chris even practice his competition run before stacking it hard? Even if Glew does occasionally land "sick drops" why would the editors of Kranked leave them out??? The whole point of these films is to show the best of the best, if Glew had skills they would have shown them. With all of that said, even if I had only seen Glew seriously miscalulate that one single snow drop, that would be grounds enough to say he isn't now and never will be a top freerider. bottom line, Glew shouldn't have been there PERIOD. I'm sorry if he is your friend and that offends you but it is the truth.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
punkassean said:
Although I haven ever ridden with Chris Glew, I was there (RBR) and I have video footage of him (and probably you) walking his not very apparently broken bike down the hill. Although he didn't take my place in the RBR he did potentially take the place of two if not three very good friends of mine (alternates) who could have actually podiumed if not won the contest given the chance. Even if Glew sticks "some" sick drops, anybody who would roll of that snow drop in kranked 5 at 5 miles per hour obviously can't calculate speed/distance well enough to compete in an event like the rampage. I am full well aware that all the top pros stack but I am also aware that they do so less than guys like you or me, that is part of the reason they are pros. They are more calculated and precise. Did Chris even practice his competition run before stacking it hard? Even if Glew does occasionally land "sick drops" why would the editors of Kranked leave them out??? The whole point of these films is to show the best of the best, if Glew had skills they would have shown them. With all of that said, even if I had only seen Glew seriously miscalulate that one single snow drop, that would be grounds enough to say he isn't now and never will be a top freerider. bottom line, Glew shouldn't have been there PERIOD. I'm sorry if he is your friend and that offends you but it is the truth.
the reason the editors of Kranked 5 showed Chris stacking is the same as why you see Bender stacking a bunch in vids - people like to see stacks - could the editors of various films ONLY show Bender's success? yes! and then there wouldn't be the endless "Bender's a hack" debates on the internet - again, Super T (who is one of Glew's riding buddies btw) crashes - he was too injured to be in the Rampage last year - does that mean he'd have "no business" being there? Berecloth wasn't in the Rampage this year due to injury - does this means he's just not good enough? NO! Some of the footage that was not in Kranked 5 includes Glew nailing a huge new drop - they put the footage of Berecloth doing it instead - but Glew scouted & built the jump & was gearing up to hit it first & Berecloth did it with the cameras rolling - Glew ends on the cutting room floor - if you saw that instead of Chris stacking in the snow, you'd be like "GLEW RULES!"

What offends me is you, sitting at your desk, deciding who should & shouldn't be in the Rampage - Glew's bike was unridable - I carried it down to the tents - there is NO way he could have ridden it in the rest of that first run (even if it wasn't 60 feet below him in a cyn) - could it have been repaired before the second qualifier? - maybe....new wheel in the rear, brakes etc. - HE was pretty f---d up though, so in no way could he have ridden an hour or so later....this doesn't mean he shouldn't have been there - I think the people who organize the Rampage are a little better qualified to decide who should be there than you or I....

do a huge roadgap in the snow with cameras rolling & than talk to me about how easy it is to judge the speed....

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Get a life you guys, start your own thread if you want to slag someone not here to defend himself.

I live in bc so I have never used any of the outfits you mention, but I do know that Johnny Smoke has been riding around the province since bullmoose bars. try bush pilot biking . If you post at nsmb.com you could get some good advice from locals. Enjoy your trip!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Your "logic" about Super T and Bearclaw being injured doesn't have any relevance to Chris Glew's being invited to compete in the first place. Has Glew ever done a tailwhip on a hardtail over a 50' double? Or has he ever landed a 360º off of a 18' drop? Has he won the Rampage by going bigger than anybody and actually LANDING? Chris Glew obviously has the balls to try big stunts, but as evidenced by his RBR and Kranked 5 performances, he doesn't have the skills to pull them off. Bender has landed some of the biggest drops to date and he has also bailed trying, the biggest difference in Bender and Glew is that Bender paved the way for modern huckers, nobody thought to charge 40' cliffs on a bike until Bender came along. He innovated where Glew attempts to imitate with poor results. As far as me sitting at a desk, I do have to use my computer to post on this forum so how else would you suggest that I go about this? When I am not at my computer I am riding and trying new and bigger things to progress my skills, without having delusions of being a pro freerider. The fact is Glew stacked immediately into his first run without taking enough if any practice runs (poor planning) and DNF'd. If he made it down the mtn. even on an easier line, that would have been better, but he did what he always does... biting off more than he can chew. He went for the big line and took himself out immediately. That is exercising bad judgment. If (and that is a big if) in a few years Chris has segments that show him landing big moves with some form of consistency than I will be proven wrong and you right, until then no one can say for sure... but I would be willing to wager big time that Glew will never be a dialed rider. That has been made obvious by his previous attempts at judgment. bottom line.

you like Glew... :nopity:

I don't... :mumble:

CASE CLOSED

Jun 7, 2004
Vancouver
Is it common practice for everything in the states/California to be turned into a pissing contest? This is the very stuff that contaminates our sport and make is just like every other bastardized "extreme" sport. Biking should be about having a good time with your buddies, but I guess in Cali it's always about Showtime, eh? Please don't bring that attitude up to BC with you. Leave it or stay home.