Quantcast

Tour de Fat...its over, its all over...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
As far as I know, everyone survived...

It wasn't as good this year, seemed to be way more people, less organized, more d1ckhead security.
They weren't letting people take their bikes into the main festival area after the parade :think: That didn't stop us though.

I was on my roadie, rode down to azdog's house in Scottsdale, then over to Tempe and back again.

I took pics, but haven't had a chance to get them off my camera yet.

Once again, the parade was interesting, cops yelled at us and we kept trying to make each other crash :thumb:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
First time I've missed the Fat.

You couldn't take you bike into a bike and beerfest?!

I may never return...
Yeah, security was stopping people and telling them to leave their bikes outside of the fence. We brought ours in anyways. Then DooDooBoi went to take a spin on Fish's new contraption bike and security was on him in a second, saying he couldn't ride it there. :rolleyes:

I don't blame Fat Tire, but the security they hired seemed to all be pissed that everyone else was having fun. Whatever.

It was still a good time and I'm just glad I got home in one piece this time!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I feel a little weirded out with all the pics you have of me. Are planning on using it with a bottle of jergens and a box of tissue?
You were the center of attention that day.

I need to pull the pics off my camera from when we were at bar after, that's where it got really entertaining :rofl:

goodgnus

Chimp
Jul 30, 2008
I wanted to chime in and let everyone know, next year, Tour de Fat is going to be much better. This year actually went really well, with the exception of disallowing bikes inside the fence. Last year attendance was 7k, this year we did 10k. The truth is there were too many people in too small a space to allow bikes inside. We set a fundraising record for the 10 year history of Tour de Fat. 75k raised for 3 local non profits.

Next year, we will have a self serve security patrolled bike valet just outside the main gate for everyone to park & lock their bikes. The fenced in area of the festival will be expanded as well, to ease crowding. I'm pretty sure bikes will no longer be allowed inside the festival in Tempe. If you want to ride a crazy bike, ride one in the crazy bike pit provided by New Belgium.

Unfortunately most TEAM security folks don't have people skills, they're well known as fun killers, your best option is to avoid them when possible and stick within the rules.

As far as getting yelled at by the cops, stop doing stupid ****. Tour de Fat only comes to cities where the experience continues to go well and the event remains in good standing with city & law enforcement. Flagstaff is blacklisted for various reasons I won't go into here. Let's not have the same thing happen to Tempe.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I wanted to chime in and let everyone know, next year, Tour de Fat is going to be much better. This year actually went really well, with the exception of disallowing bikes inside the fence. Last year attendance was 7k, this year we did 10k. The truth is there were too many people in too small a space to allow bikes inside. We set a fundraising record for the 10 year history of Tour de Fat. 75k raised for 3 local non profits.
I'm glad to hear it.

Next year, we will have a self serve security patrolled bike valet just outside the main gate for everyone to park & lock their bikes. The fenced in area of the festival will be expanded as well, to ease crowding. I'm pretty sure bikes will no longer be allowed inside the festival in Tempe. If you want to ride a crazy bike, ride one in the crazy bike pit provided by New Belgium.
Lame. Big time. Its a bike fest. And I don't trust the security there to give 2 $hits about our bikes. I'm not leaving my bike somewhere unattended like that.

Unfortunately most TEAM security folks don't have people skills, they're well known as fun killers, your best option is to avoid them when possible and stick within the rules.
We tried. Those guys seemed to be getting off on being total d1ckheads.

As far as getting yelled at by the cops, stop doing stupid ****. Tour de Fat only comes to cities where the experience continues to go well and the event remains in good standing with city & law enforcement. Flagstaff is blacklisted for various reasons I won't go into here. Let's not have the same thing happen to Tempe.
We weren't doing stupid $hit. As you said, there were 10K people in attendance...you think that many people on bikes can fit in one lane on Ash? There were so many near collisions, especially because there were a lot of morons on brakeless fixed gears and crappy cruisers who had no idea how to ride in a tight peleton like that. Again, some dillhole who gets off on being a d1ck. Plain and simple.

I had a way better time at the bar after than I did at Fat Tire. It seems that logistically, they were not prepared for the amount of people who attended. I understand its complicated to run something like this and props to the people who volunteered to help.

BUT, most of us were disappointed in it and probably won't attend next year.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

Are you speaking on New Belgium's behalf?