Quantcast

Tour de France

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I thought that Schlek and Fabian Catchalara DID wait up on the cobble stage.
Maybe you are thinking of the other stage when roughly half the field crashed on an oil slick, and Cancellara convinced everyone to neutralize (even though some. like Hushovd, were not entirely happy about it)?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought that Schlek and Fabian Catchalara DID wait up on the cobble stage.
Alberto lost 1:13 to Schleck on that stage and 20 seconds to the group he was with after flatting near the end. No one waited, no one even thought of it during or after the stage.

I've always understood it along the lines of you wait for someone in a group you are working with. You start dishing out attacks and you are no longer in a working group.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
The "don't attack when someone has a problem rule" has rarely happened IMO. How many contenders in the past few tours have been dropped in a stage when the field was split with a crash? Who held up for Contador when he flatted at the end of the cobble stage? Racing is just as much about knowing how to handle your bike and bringing durable equipment as it is about bringing legs.
I think it's different in the middle of a climb when everyone is fighting.

see 2:25 here:

I cant find the video... but there is another time when Lance waited for Ullrich when he crashed.

I think it's basically the honorable thing to do. To win because of a crash or a mechanical is basically a tainted win. You didn't win because you were stronger or had better skills on the bike, but because of luck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think it's different in the middle of a climb when everyone is fighting.

see 2:25 here:

I cant find the video... but there is another time when Lance waited for Ullrich when he crashed.

I think it's basically the honorable thing to do. To win because of a crash or a mechanical is basically a tainted win. You didn't win because you were stronger or had better skills on the bike, but because of luck.

Lance waited for Ulrich because he knew he could destroy him. Tyler and the bunch waited for Lance because they knew he could destroy them. Chivalry goes down the drain when the real **** is hitting the fan. When did someone wait when it really could have meant a difference?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Lance waited for Ulrich because he knew he could destroy him. Tyler and the bunch waited for Lance because they knew he could destroy them. Chivalry goes down the drain when the real **** is hitting the fan. When did someone wait when it really could have meant a difference?
That may be, but there will be an asterisk by Contador's win if he wins by less than 39 seconds. Maybe not officially, but everyone that is a fan of the tour will know that Andy was the better man in 2010.

EDIT: Actually, in the video that I posted. If Ullrich had attacked that year he would have won the tour.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Strange. I don't know which race you were watching, but Contador was clearly catching Schleck. He was not 3rd wheel. There was no one between them. He kept pace as he went by, sat down, and Schleck was still pedaling the whole time. Did he look back to check if everything was OK? No. Did he accelerate again after cruising past without looking back? Yes. Was he concerned about what Schleck was up to behind him? No, not until there was a pretty good sized gap. Normally, at the speed they were traveling, it is possible to get a chain back on without dismounting, in which case it would have been a good time to punch the gas just a bit. There's a fine line there. Would you slow down for someone because they took an unfortunate line around a corner and spun a wheel on some gravel, loosing momentum, but staying upright? I'd keep going.

Andy loosing time because he dropped a chain wasn't what anyone wanted to see (though he did panic, and he lost (more) time because he panicked.) It's not awesome at all, and it totally would have been a cool feel-good story if Contador had been more concerned about what was happening and waited for Schleck, but it's a race. Stuff happens.
There's only one problem with your theory... Video shows that it's flat out wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQYmLOUZXQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rEQYmLOUZXQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Schleck had practically stopped by the time AC goes by.

Last edited:

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
Alberto lost 1:13 to Schleck on that stage and 20 seconds to the group he was with after flatting near the end. No one waited, no one even thought of it during or after the stage.

I've always understood it along the lines of you wait for someone in a group you are working with. You start dishing out attacks and you are no longer in a working group.

AS and AC weren't in the same group in that case. It was entirely possible that AS didn't know AC had flatted. Entirely different situation.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I hope Andy leaves everything on the road tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a damn good stage!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If Ullrich had attacked that year he would have won the tour.

I'm sure that is somewhere near the top of Jan's long list of regrets.

I find this kind of ironic. A sport with a long tradition of cheating, breaking all the written rules: having controversy with a subjective breaking of unspoken rules. I'd rather have a race with athletes following all the clear objective rules and turning everything else into a dishonorable fistfight for victory.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
There's only one problem with your theory...
You and Golgi are totally right. Apparently that slip that says the optometrist wants to see me might be hinting at something. I completely confused Vino with Contador. Foot firmly lodged in mouth on that one.

However, it doesn't change the fact that it's a ferkin' bike race. These "unwritten rules" only seem to apply when certain people want them to. Will there also be an asterisk next to everyone who finishes four minutes above Nicholas Roche, because they didn't wait for him when he flatted on the same climb? What about stages 2 and 3? Schleck, by his own admission, would have been completely out of contention if Contador hadn't waited for him on stage 2. Did Schleck wait for anyone on stage 3? What kind of waiting/bad luck rules are these?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Can Sastre stay away? He's burning a lot of energy staying between the break and the peleton.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm sure that is somewhere near the top of Jan's long list of regrets.

I find this kind of ironic. A sport with a long tradition of cheating, breaking all the written rules: having controversy with a subjective breaking of unspoken rules. I'd rather have a race with athletes following all the clear objective rules and turning everything else into a dishonorable fistfight for victory.
Good point but trying to make sense of pro cycling is not easy. If you look at it from an image point of view. If Contador had stayed behind and waited and comes out as the winner he would look like a real hero and gain a bigger following/popularity which it seems he needs. It seems like he feels more pressure than last year.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
"Contador is loitering on Schleck's rear wheel as the peloton begins ripping apart behind them, like paint peeling off an old yacht in a gale."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Great stage. Schleck gave it a shot but I think he figured out pretty quickly that Contador would not be dropped. Surprised that Contador only attacked once, but NOT surprised he gave Schleck the win. Total PR move.

Do you think anyone would notice if Schleck swaps numbers with Cancellara on Saturday? :D

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Gonna miss ol' Lance.
Last year he rode well after being out so long.....and an early season collarbone.

Now another year of training and this performance is a bit confusing.

I'd like to see him give it one more year....but i wonder if the probe circling his head has changed his "preparations"....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Gonna miss ol' Lance.
Last year he rode well after being out so long.....and an early season collarbone.

Now another year of training and this performance is a bit confusing.

I'd like to see him give it one more year....but i wonder if the probe circling his head has changed his "preparations"....
For the team I think it would be good for him to do another year just for the marketing. For him maybe not so much.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Just the prologue but here are the times.

6 Alberto Contador ESP AST 00:10:27 (00:10:27)

122 Andy Schleck LUX SAX 00:11:09 (00:11:09)
The Eurosport guys were doing some extrapolating based on Schlecks recent imporvement in ITT......they calc'd that he would need 80 seconds going into the ITT to have a viable shot to win..

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
As I understand - he'll race next year, to include an Ironman in Hawaii. That said, it's the Tour de France that he doesn't plan to do again.
That makes sense - if Ned Overend is still riding no reason why Lance should stop. I am no Lance fan boy but he has a name that can do a lot to promote cycling.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Anyone else get the sense that AC was holding back? Perhaps saving himself in order to annihilate the TT? or at least for certain stay in front of Schleck?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No I don't he held back. I think they both discovered that climbing, today, they were equal. Saturday. That will be different.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Great stage. Schleck gave it a shot but I think he figured out pretty quickly that Contador would not be dropped. Surprised that Contador only attacked once, but NOT surprised he gave Schleck the win. Total PR move.

Do you think anyone would notice if Schleck swaps numbers with Cancellara on Saturday? :D
He kind of had to. Can you imagine the flak he would have gotten from his peers after wheel sucking on the whole climb?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anyone else get the sense that AC was holding back? Perhaps saving himself in order to annihilate the TT? or at least for certain stay in front of Schleck?
I thought so too, but I don't think I've ever seen Contador look like he was truly suffering so it's hard to tell. Definitely surprised he only attacked once. I figured he would cover Schleck's attacks, wait until Schleck was clearly hurting (physically AND psychologically) and then jump to get more time.

If he held back he is pretty stupid IMO, since you never know what might happen in the TT or in the next couple days (mechanical, crash, etc.). He'll have time to recover before the TT either way.

So it's weird: He attacked when Schleck dropped his chain, but not when he stood to gain more time and win a stage without any so-called asterisks.

You know Big Tex would have gained time on a day like today, that's for sure. Maybe contador wants to be seen as less ruthless?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For some it was crazy, for others it was stupid, and others a day of courage and bravery. For me, it was a day to enjoy being on the bike. -Carlos Sastre
****-yeah Carlos!

I never understood the folks who ride defensively to protect a mediocre result. Attack mother ****er Attack!

And kudos to Ryder for a great result and not taking the safe route to get there.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Just the prologue but here are the times.

6 Alberto Contador ESP AST 00:10:27 (00:10:27)

122 Andy Schleck LUX SAX 00:11:09 (00:11:09)
Losing 32s in 8.9k doesn't bode well for Andy in the TT. At least the gap is big enough to Sanchez and Menchov that he shouldn't lose second place. The exciting race will be for 3rd, unless Contador has mechanical issues.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Check the tires Garmin rode yesterday. They look more like a file tread CX tires.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
throwing everyone under that bus
Landis, in an interview scheduled to run Friday on ABC's "Nightline" (11:35 p.m. ET), once again said that Armstrong used performance-enhancing drugs during his career. Landis said Armstrong -- his former teammate and friend -- transfused his own blood, a banned practice that gives athletes an advantage by increasing their red blood cell count and, therefore, their endurance.

"Rather than go into the entire detail of every single time I've seen it, yes," Landis told interview Neal Karlinsky of "Nightline". "I saw Lance Armstrong using drugs.
Floyd Landis: 'I saw Lance Armstrong using drugs' - ESPN