Quantcast

Trail Dog

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I understand how it can be frustrating. I wish my dogs would listen better sometimes. They are dogs though. Not exactly soldiers. My doofus dogs listen good enough to follow me out riding and back without causing drama on the trail. But when another dog is involved, of course they don't listen nearly as well. Just like a kid. Time to show off and push buttons of the parent.
I ended up taking the mutt and so far its been great. I "walk" him with my hardtail most of the time and he seems to really like running behind it. We've hit some moderately techy little trails in the area and he had no problems. Stayed close, didn't injure himself etc.

However, he is incredibly manipulative and stubborn sometimes. He now knows when a ride is about to end and he'll have to go inside so he ****s off into one of the neighbors yards and won't come out. When I call him to come, I can sometimes see him look over, consider it for a moment, and then bolt in the opposite direction. Make no mistake, they are testing you.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
So I took my dog out over the weekend for my first MTB ride of the season. Being that it was my first ride of the year, and one of the other guys first rides ever, I wasnt too worried about wearing out the dog too badly.

The dog had a blast. He was in heaven running through the woods with us. I led the group and he led all of us. On the climbs he would run ahead and wait for us at the top if not run to the top and double back down to make sure we were okay.

Any time there was a down hill I would book it around him and take off. Most of the time he kept up, I could hear him right behind me.

Cant wait for the rest of this season. He slept great the rest of the day.

Here we are "helping" fix a flat.

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
Nice dog!

Few tips:
1. Your dog will chase you 'till it dies - you have to speed check on the downhills. I know it's not as fun, but you riding buddy needs this...

2. Watch the heat - summer rides have to be at a slower pace.

3. Labs are heavy - too much running / high speed hurts their joints later in life.

4. Work him into it slowly - pads, muscles, etc need conditioning.

5. If your dog needs days to recouperate - you've overworked him.