Trails around Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by kates, Apr 25, 2014.

1. kates

kates Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey all, I just moved to CA and am looking for some fun XC/AM trails. I've heard mixed reviews on the trail conditions and don't know anyone in the area yet who isn't a road warrior. I have been hiking and the trails that have had some visible tracks are super crowded with people, I'm looking for a spot where I can shred without worrying about running hikers down. Happy to tag along with any locals who have a regular fav. spot their willing to share. Any suggestions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blackohio

blackohio Generous jaywalker

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 120
    Theres a few of us on here and a few good AM/DH trails. Im fat so I dont know XC trails that well

Im in camarillo but theres guys all over here. You could hit tunnels

3. wydopen

wydopen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 60
    Yes lots of trails...really good ones at that...

hopefully you like rocks and riding early in the morning or in the late afternoon..

I ride from 630-10am on the weekend and after 4pm on the weekdays to minimize hiking traffic..

you have to wear a cow bell on your bars too to warn people you are coming..its annoying but you get used to it after awhile..

you can pick one up at any of the bike shops..I would recommend Velo pro in goleta..

What kind of bike do you have?? Basically for all the trails that come off the top you will want to have 5"+ if not there are other trails on the backside that are a bit more mellow

4. kates

kates Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks y'all. i'm riding a full suspension with 120mm front travel, so i guess that rounds to 5"
    i've taken her resort riding, most of my problems (on the mountain at least) have nothing to do with the burliness of my rig. That being said rock gardens are great, but i'm still hesitant on the super chunk. Happy to tag along with anyone willing to show a newbee the trails (maybe the weenie ones to start). If early mornings are the key, I can probably drag my behind out of bed...
    Cheers

5. blindboxx2334

blindboxx2334 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    really?!

i need to make it down there this summer.

6. wydopen

wydopen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 60
    yup..it actually works out because usually people hear you coming and they are out of the way by the time you get there....

its a good tradeoff for being able to ride 2800ft descents

like I said if you ride early or late 90% of the time you get a clean run...trying to ride the more popular hiking trails on a nice weekend during the middle of the day is a different story..

7. blindboxx2334

blindboxx2334 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    thanks for the info. i really need to start branching out and riding more places.

8. wydopen

wydopen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 60
    come buy my frame and shred while your here haha..ill show you around

if you have something that can pedal there is an 8mile+ descent in the backcountry that's some of the buffest flowy singletrack you will ever find...20min of strait ripping and its a relatively easy 12mile fireroad climb