Quantcast

Trails at risk!!!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
This is cross-posted in the Southern California forum.

Hi folks,
I have some potentially very bad news. As far as my snoopers can find (from inside the county ranks), this golf course expansion at Aliso Woods is a done deal already.

There are some folks we are working with who are going through the freedom of information act to gain more info, but if you look at the turn of events from earlier this year to now, you realize that it is all too much of a coincidence.

There are a growing number of us who think that this has been in the works at the highest levels since late last year or early this year and everything is starting to point that direction.

What needs to be done from here? Action.

On Monday, November 15th @ 6:45PM I need anyone and everyone who is a trail user at Aliso to show up at Santiago Oaks Regional Park HQ for the monthly trails advisory committee meeting. We need to be professional and in numbers and ask very pointed questions about this deal.

There will be two people very in the know there. The first is Jeff Dickman, he is head of county trails and would know about a paved pathway being expanded to the beach. The other is Kevin Thomas, head of Harbors, Beaches and Parks.

While I am not expecting a miricale informational flood to happen, I do expect them to take notice that mtn bikers (and all trail users) are pissed at this golf course expansion into our wilderness park. If it can happen at Aliso it can happen at any of our parks, and eventually will.

Grant
President
SHARE Mountain Bike Club
www.sharemtb.com

That was a post from Grant curtis, the president of SHARE Mtb.

I was going to keep this as a low key recruitment mission, but finding out this info increases the urgency of my plan. This is a modified version of an email I sent to a few people. If you'd like more info and would like to become involved, please contact me asap.
BTW- my plan should in no way be construed as being endorsed or supported by SHARE or any mountain bike advocacy group (unless a group would like to put their name next to mine, which I'm happy to accept).

Here's the (edited) email

Many of the historically existing trails in Aliso remain off-limits to users despite requests to open them, and the absence of a Regional Management Plan outlining the viability and sustainability of the trails that have been around long before Aliso was ever a park. In fact word is, the RMP was delayed purposely because of the private (read that more like 'secret') negotiations with Tom Wilson for the sale of much of Aliso and Woods Canyons to Montage (which would result in the loss of trails and trail access in Aliso). I plan on staging a protest incorporating a bit of civil disobedience. My hope is that at least 20, 30, maybe even 50 people will join with me on this.... a ride / hike .......(edit-contact me for info on the details) ...it's likely we'd all get tickets. The potential fine..... (Edit-I'd rather discuss details of the potential repurcussions privately) I don't plan on pleading guilty and getting a reduced fine, I plan on fighting the ticket. I do this to increase public awareness of the hypocrisy, selective enforcement and laziness of the Orange County Regional Park managers in their management of Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park.

If you are so inclined to do participate, I can offer information as to the time and place this will occur. Remember, you will likely be cited by the OC Sheriff's Department for riding the closed trail, and I, nor any of my affiliated groups will be responsible for any legal expenses or repercussions resulting from riding said trails, and make no guarantee as to the outcome of any legal proceeding resulting from this act.

-Jeff Jarvis

I think a park full of polite, but outspoken trail users drawing attention to the hypocrisy of Tom Wilson and the Orange County Regional Parks management can do nothing but good. I for one am willing to do what it takes to save our park, and in the process hopefully open the trails that should have been opened years ago. Will you join me?

edit- in receiving some feedback and thinking of some new ideas, I've decided that a multi-trail convergence should occur. Both open and closed trails will be used during this important protest. So for those who are interested in saving Aliso, but are not interested in riding a closed trail, I can definitely still use your support.

"Little good is accomplished without controversy, and no civic evil is ever defeated without publicity."

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Man what is up with all the corupt politics these days. Just this year in Tahoe we had the Forest Service all over our a$$ about a trail that has been in use since Truckee was a logging town in the early 1900's. They biggest bitch was about all the erotion we were causing. All of the sudden the FS sells the land to a developer and they went in and raped it to put in 240 condos. In 1 day they did more damage than every mountain biker for three generations would have done. But for some reason that's ok. The thing that really sucks is that there really is no way to fight it. He with the most money wins.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Thanks to everyone once again who is contacting me with supportive words and commitments to action. Currently the planned date is the morning of Tuesday November 16, 2004. I have a couple requests to have it moved to a weekend. If moving it to the following Saturday morning would work better for the masses, and perhaps encourage our LA and SD riders to join, I'm happy to move the date. The meeting time would be fairly early and the whole thing won't take too long. This way we can all get on with our day. Hell, maybe we'll all just have to say our piece, then keep riding, and follow it up with lunch at my bar. Hmmmm......

Feedback on this idea is reqested. Jarvis.Jeff@gmail.com to contact me directly / privately.

Thanks!!! -Jeff