Quantcast

Training

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
So I was just down at the local hotspot where a shop was letting people demo ride their Sundays (those bikes are like no other), and of course they had their riders there as well. It seems that there are the fast, and those that want to be. How do you get faster? Just riding alot? All info appreciated, thanks.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I am going to assume that you are aware how vague a question that is.

Here is one tip:
Ride with people who are faster than you.

I'm sure others will contribute.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
ride a lot, get your confendence up, training, ride with a hardtail (my friend who got good at riding trails down on their hardtail, killed competiton once they got a fully, but this most likely has to do with confedece

I'm no pro, but my .02 worth is that you need to ride as many different DH trails, as much as possible, with riders who are equal or better then you. Progress slowly so that you don't break yourself off and remember that your going to have good and bad days. If you are going to race, then get to as many races as you can afford and make sure your fitness level is up to it. Good luck.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
I second riding a hardtail as much as you can. Mix it up with xc, dirtjumping, dirtbikes, unicycles, tricycles. That way you get better at handling and don't burn out.
you do your best training at the end of a hefe bottle :)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
indeed... don't forget that. Beer destroys the weaker brain cells that want you to hold onto the brakes... Or are they the stronger cells..
hows CO mate ??

lookin forward to a few decent brews when i get back, this korea sh1t tastes like nannas stink water

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
bent^biker said:
So I was just down at the local hotspot where a shop was letting people demo ride their Sundays (those bikes are like no other), and of course they had their riders there as well. It seems that there are the fast, and those that want to be. How do you get faster? Just riding alot? All info appreciated, thanks.
ride frequently, a heavier bike wouldn't hurt to gain strength and stamina

ride with people faster(it works, i do it at diablo a lot, and it pushes you a lot)

ride a dj bike, and tons of other bikes and get a feel for the different types

learn your bikes limits i.e. turning radius, and anything which may affect riding.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
brake before a turn and not during
stay off the front brake as much as possible
try to keep as much momentum as u can
flow with the trail
always wear a full face helmet (more focus)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
just ride alot and think about how your technique and figure out how to maintain speed....

you can ride any bike (DJ, xc, DH, trail) but learn to ride it well and ride your DH enough to be familiar with how it handles..