Quantcast

Transition Patrol 1 vs Spec Enduro vs SC Nomad

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Sorry for the 'versus' thread. There are so many nice trail bikes out now but I think I've narrowed it down to these three.

Does any one have any input on any of the models? All the models im looking at are around $6-$6K and similarly specd. All 650B of course. Transition is aluminum while the others are carbon.

I'm looking for something that can bomb hills but also pedal well. I will likely do mainly trail riding but will also bring it to Snowshoe, 7 Springs, MCBP, when I get the opportunity. Basically looking for a do it all bike. I'm slightly worried the Nomad is a little too DH oriented to be pedaled well but I havent had an opportunity to ride one.

Any input or ride reports would be appreciated!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
There was just a 15 bike review somewhere, specialized was rated best out of the box, nomad was the best in the test (of these three) and the transition was like a top 5 or 6 bike. I think....let me dig it up.

I doubt you could go wrong with either.

I like the nomad or transition for the "non Big S" proprietary crap, press fit bb and stuff, not sure how much of that is on the enduro, haven't looked into it.

That all said, I am in search of a trail bike that was as fun and enjoyable as my stumpjumper fsr. so I will essentially be looking at the three brands you mentioned in the slightly shorter travel ranges. 5010, stumpy, and the transition I can never remember the name of.

Here, found it, Take it for what its worth. http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/test-comparativa-15-bici-da-enduro/

Last edited:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Hey thanks man! Damn its kinda wild it has the 3 exact bikes I was comparing haha. Im leaning more towards the Nomad or Transition for the same reason you mentioned. The Transition is $600 less than the Nomad and actually has a slightly better parts spec. (Full XX1, RF SixC cranks and bars, Stans Flow EX rims). Geometries are also almost identical. Slightly shorter CS on the Transition and slightly longer reach. Like you said I dont think I can go wrong with either. If anyone has ride time on the Nomad or Transition in particular I would appreciate it!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I'd take the Transition Patrol2. State of the art geometry, aluminium, no nonsense parts spec and in for the longterm.
Vitalmtb has it reviewed:
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Transition/Patrol-1,15293#product-reviews/1997

What we liked most is how the Patrol never did anything wrong, which is much less common than you'd think in today's bike market. The full aluminum frame and dialed spec list show just how in tune Transition is with what makes a bike ride well under a demanding rider, overlooking some of the industry's current trends in favor of what actually works best. From our perspective the Patrol represents the best of the "less is more" belief. While Transition's refinement of proven concepts yields nothing super fancy, the back to basics approach works damn well and keeps a smile on your face - and that's precisely why we ride bikes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have ridden a nomad a few times, but they were older versions and it was a long time ago. I have not ridden the new transition, I rode the covert summer of 2013 for an hour or two uphill while in BC, but not downhill. One of our guides had a carbon nomad, and it seemed like a nice ride, but I didn't swing a leg over it. He also had a tr450 as his DH bike.

I have owned a tr450 and a tr500, ironically I will be riding a V-10 this season.

I have zero complaints on either of my transition bikes. Zero, customer service was awesome, bikes were extremely fun, durability was good. I did have some complaints about my stumpy (creaky press fit BB, rear hub/axle that both always worked loose, Proprietary rear shock) but it rode awesome.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I rode a nomad for a month (almost every day). They're kind of an odd bike. They're good at just running into shit without a lot of rider input. Not really my kind of ride for a bike that expensive. They're made really well though.

The patrol (and supressor) look awesome. And yeah identical layout/geometry. My buddy who owned the nomad got rid of it and has a patrol showing up today just fyi.

I haven't ridden the newest 27.5 enduro but have always liked the previous ones. Short chainstays and a forward wheel path tend to hang up on things a little but they rail.

Another one to look at is the norco range (the plastic, not the aluminum). They seem to be kind of hard to find though.

Vital should have a review of the nomad up soon. It should be one of the more honest ones on that bike.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
am I one of the only people on the planet that cant stand short chainstays?

is it lack or cornering skills or do your trails have no high speed shit?
Well generally the bikes have been getting longer WB-wise for the stability but just shortening the CS for better cornering. I like the short chain stays for cornering and cause manuals are fun =) Plenty of high speed stuff where I ride.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Well generally the bikes have been getting longer WB-wise for the stability but just shortening the CS for better cornering. I like the short chain stays for cornering and cause manuals are fun =) Plenty of high speed stuff where I ride.
yes i know all about the new geo's i like them alots. I ride a spitfire, 17.4in CS. Looking hard at the new wizbamjigger of the sb6c with 17.4 CS long, low n slack, (but fuck is it expensive). Thats how i like em. Just wondering why my riding style is so different than what most people want. Really limits my options on bikes gal dang it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What do you want to know? I'd rather answer questions than write something on a website for 99% of people who are too stupid to get anything valuable from it just because I switched wheels.

I've ridden it a shit ton and have it pretty well figured out. Shoot.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
is it lack or cornering skills or do your trails have no high speed shit?
I think it's lack of understanding that high speed shit is incompatible with shorter chainstays. ;)

The bigger picture of how the bike works needs to be considered.....mainly axle path and suspension.

I've ridden some I liked but can see how some (mostly specialized) get hung up. The axle path on those has as much to do with it as anything. My Norco shares a short-ish chainstay with a lot of the specialized bikes but doesn't get hung up at all like those do.

Last edited:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Now that the YTs are available I think ive completely dropped all 3 of my previous options and its between the YT Capra CF Pro Race or CF Pro haha. Killer spec. Cheaper than all the other options. Full carbon. Full BOS. Full...on.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Now that the YTs are available I think ive completely dropped all 3 of my previous options and its between the YT Capra CF Pro Race or CF Pro haha. Killer spec. Cheaper than all the other options. Full carbon. Full BOS. Full...on.
nice choice. Does BOS have a service center in the states yet?

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
nice choice. Does BOS have a service center in the states yet?
I dont think so...i suppose thats the drawback with BOS. I feel I'm relatively proficient with service of suspension at least. However, needing parts may be an issue. its wild that the 'worst' YT Carbon has the Pike RCT3 and Monarch RC3 for suspension. Essentially what every 'top-of-the-line' enduro bike has. Even the Spec. Enduro 'only' has the Pike RC.

49%

Chimp
Feb 8, 2015
While shopping couple months back I took a spin on a few bikes. Rode Kona, Giant, Transition. Only these 3 as my primary criteria was long reach.

I nixed the Patrol, 153, Reign, as the front end seemed just a little too slack to get up my local punchy single track climb. This left me with the shorter travel versions, which my not be precisely relevant to OP lol...but anyhow kickstand asked.

Transition was nice. BB heights gave me some hesitation. I stopped on steep driveway while riding the Scout and my down pedal was touching the ground. For some peoples trails /riding style thats a bonus. For me- fat hack, rocky trails, not so much.

Kona was spectacular. Reach is fantastic, super low, just feels great to throw a leg over. Missed the better spec though. Would've bought a 134 if they had model i wanted in stock.

Giant was what I ended up buying. Geometry was nice. Spec was just ridiculous. Plus i bought it in Canada so it was $1120 less than US.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
You decide on the Trance I assume? Yeah im looking for a more 'do it all' bike. So the Capra CF Pro seems pretty perfect for me. Just assuming they dont sellout in the first week =/

49%

Chimp
Feb 8, 2015
I bought the Trance SX. It's a lot less bike than I'm used to, but I'm 2 months in and still stoked with the decision.

That's not me in the avatar physically, but spiritually that's representative of how I ride.

hombreduro

Chimp
Oct 12, 2014
So I'm in this same boat. I sold my Pivot Firebird and bought a top of the line (used) SC 5010 carbon about 4 months ago. It is a Fantastic bike and is everything I thought I wanted. It climbs extremely well, super light, and the dh is better than I thought for a bike with its travel. BUT, I guess I'm not ready to give up the big bike. All this hype about smaller travel/lighter bikes are the better for real everyday riding, etc... Yea, so what if I knocked a minute of my climb time, the dh just isn't as much fun. Don't get me wrong, I know deep down that the 5010 is the better all round bike and is really what I should be riding for all the climbing I do, and it handles everything I've thrown at it with grace.
So back on point, I will be selling the amazing SC 5010 wunderbike and buying something heavier and clunkier. It still needs to climb very well, but be a blast on the dh. Not looking for a full dh sled (those glory days are far gone) but something fast with an emphasis on fun - poppy and lively. Looking at Pivot Mach 6, Transition Patrol, GG Megatrail, and then YT Capra just popped up and looks pretty stellar, but maybe more dh oriented then the rest. I would love to test ride all of these, but it just ain't gonna happen. It would take me a year to track all of them down at demo's and by then there would be a whole new slew of bikes out and I'd never get anything done.
I'm actually traveling to Vegas next month to test the GG Megatrail, I'm very intrigued by it. It isn't the prettiest or fanciest looking bike out there, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it if it really is as amazing as people on the forums are saying. I'm more worried about buying a bike from a little known company and then having no resell value in a few years.
Mach 6 is tried and true, but is it really the best bike out of the bunch now that geometry updates are coming out?
YT is hard not to look at for the value and in my opinion is one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen. Just would worry about cramped cockpit and looks to be the most dh oriented out of the bunch.
So looking for some advice from people who have actually ridden them??? I know they will all dh great, but which is the better climber/poppy fun bike for regular, trail riding (and yes, I know they will all be overkill for what I actually ride on an everyday basis,but which is the last overkill/most fun)? Thank you much for your feedback.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
There are quite a few Megatrails on the monkey, you'll probably have more luck with ride impressions on the downhill forum:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/guerrilla-gravity-new-frame-manufacturer-in-colorado.251038/
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/new-trail-bike-rides-for-2015-no-dh-bikes-allowed.271842/

Not that it's particularly relevant to this thread and to Americans (yet), but I visited Canyon's headquarter last week and holy sh*t, those Strives feel great and are ridiculously well specced. With a choice between carbon and aluminum and two different geometries I really feel ripped off on the '14 Trance SX that I didn't even pay retail for (the 2015 one looks like a much better deal).

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
:panic:
Way too much awesome bikes to choose from.
For those in Yurp it's not that hard - Canyon Strive AL 7.0 Race would be the answer to hombreduro's requirements - just an incredible bike - but the YTs don't look too shabby either.

I'm also not knocking the Trance SX, it's a fantastic allrounder, just not as great a deal and a little less downhill focused. My bike envy should be mitigated once those damn DVO Diamonds start shipping.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Thanks for the links Sandro...just making me drool more over the Megatrail...
Rightfully so. Just fyi, my two buddies who bought new euro direct distribution bikes this month (Commencal Meta and Canyon Strive) both had Megachubs for the Megajizz and would have bought one if that was a viable option in Europe.