Quantcast

Transition Scout vs Santa Cruz 5010

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
For those who have ridden the Megatrail; how tall are you and what size did you try? I am 5'7-5'8ish. Also how is the pedaling? Not that I'm too picky about that, this will be slowly ridden to the top of hills and then abused back down them.
Megatrail has a steep seat tube and from my experience it climbs really well.

Sizing is a bit on the large size, at least as far as I'm used to - I'm 6'1" (34" inseam) and the large felt *way* too big for me. But I've heard modern bikes are long. :D

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
5'10 with knuckle dragging limbs, I have a Med Shred Dogg, nearing 1500 miles on it and I would exhaust my knowledge of superlatives describing how rad this bike is, billy goat up, smash down, repeat. I have tried 26, 27.5, 27.5+, and will soon have a 29 wheelset to thrash.

All different iterations rode really fun, in subtly different ways, and the easiest way to describe its trail character would be intuitive handling wicked stiff rear end for miles of smiles.

I previously had a Transition Bandit, and while fun was not as comfortable and stable at speed as the Shred Dogg.

TLDR: I really like my bike.

Lizard bbq edit:
Spacers and redish wheels for ftw if you have fancy wheels of the 100 x 15 /142s variety on boost axles = retroboost™

Braaap

Sent some electronic mail to GG today asking a few rookie questions about the Shred Dawg. I assume at the very least I'll need a new rear wheel..

For those who have ridden the Megatrail; how tall are you and what size did you try? I am 5'7-5'8ish. Also how is the pedaling? Not that I'm too picky about that, this will be slowly ridden to the top of hills and then abused back down them.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
FWIW, Evil has the Insurgent on sale, and I think pretty much everything will fit from the Spitty.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think if you're a regular in the DH forum you're allowed to post these threads there.
I just got lost and stumbled in here.

I'd get the GG of what's been mentioned so far, it has better suspension performance than the Scout, which in turn has better suspension than the 5010. Between the Scout and 5010 alone, I'd take the Scout.

Was also thinking about a Giant Trance (carbon), only because we have a shop owner in our group and could get a deal...but eh.
These are awesome bikes (if you mean current gen), with the benefit of being a chunk lighter than the others, especially in carbon (plus lifetime warranty, which where I live, Giant honor religiously - even for ancient frames).

The only thing I'd check is that the head angle meets your requirements / matches the other frames. I'd consider the Reign carbon if that's a concern, as that's quite a light frame too.

For suspension performance and strength-to-weight (if you care about weight), I really rate these two commoners.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
These are awesome bikes (if you mean current gen), with the benefit of being a chunk lighter than the others, especially in carbon (plus lifetime warranty, which where I live, Giant honor religiously - even for ancient frames).

The only thing I'd check is that the head angle meets your requirements / matches the other frames. I'd consider the Reign carbon if that's a concern, as that's quite a light frame too.
Do you have any experience how the latest gen Trance compares to the older one regarding stiffness? Other than the seat angle, which Giant still hasn’t gotten right, the noodly back end is my main complaint about my 2014 Trance.

If I get another Giant, I’ll probably go with the Reign since I long-shocked my Trance anyways and don’t mind lugging around a bit of extra weight and travel.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do you have any experience how the latest gen Trance compares to the older one regarding stiffness?
Yeah, so that previous era of Trance (2014-2015) was not the best design for stiffness. It's because of the way they designed the upper link, the swingarm bearings were mounted inboard (with narrower stance) - a bit strange as they had never done that previously. Thankfully they didn't do it to any of the Reigns.

It should be solidly addressed on the new (2017) one - they've added a thicker connection on the swingarm's upright where it meets and joins the seatstays, and also added a thick brace at the front of the upper link:

They also returned to the regular Giant design where the upper swingarm bearings are mounted outboard (thus wider and stiffer).

As for the seat angle, I agree with you, but Giant is on par with most other brands there and I found them good enough. The only brand that does an excellent job with that seems to be GG.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Udi thanks for the info. The Giant Trance seems to currently have same head angle as the 5010 and Scout. It could be in the running for a new frame..

Currently contemplating these....

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2227113/
-Clean looking bike, new components on it and decent price. Though not carbon, not that that is a top priority.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2228114/
-Carbon Scout, newer'ish frame, clean as well with only a paint chip on the upper rocker link. But the wheels aren't too thrilling; Though I could just stick mine in there (Hope Pro 2's w/ Spank 28 Race rims).

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2220006/
-Santa Cruz 5010, but not thrilled on the seat post and wheel combo. and I'd tell the dude to just keep that damaged carbon bar.... One benefit is its Canadian seller. But I think this is the less desirable than the two above.

@boostindoubles I read a few comments yesterday about people cracking the chainstays on their Scouts. Have yours been good?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
new scout looks even more betterer. new bromad is still top of my list though, with the megatrail and slayer close seconds. aluminum bromad is out now too.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I read a few comments yesterday about people cracking the chainstays on their Scouts.
My buddy cracked his too.
I'm partial to fully-triangulated swingarms if/when possible to avoid this.

If you care about suspension performance, I'd avoid most SC VPPs except for the current (newest) Nomad which finally addressed the sharp initial digression.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Well haven't inspected my stays for cracks yet. Have about 1000 miles on it is all, considering the auger happened right after I bought it. I'll check it out tonight.

I have a few friends on Trances, the aluminum and carbon ones... they are giggle pigs for sure. Lively and bouncy without any boat anchor vibes.

If I hadn't just dropped all my coin on a new Simple frame I'd be piling cash for one dem new Scouts.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
65 degree head angle. Rowdy.
Are you keeping your downhill bike? I'm looking at some of the same bikes and judging from you pics, our home trails are fairly similar. Except i don't have a downhill bike anymore, so I'm leaning more towards the Megatrail/Patrol type bikes for my long travel ride.