Quantcast

Transporting My Bike on NYC/Newark Train?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok, so I have a question for all any of you with experience in or around Manhattan transporting a bike by train/subway. A friend and I are planning to head to Diablo this weekend for both Saturday and Sunday, I have a close friend that lives in midtown manhattan so our thoughts were to ride all day Saturday, then drive to Newark and take the train into the city to stay there for the night…Then head back out to ride Sunday.

While I spend a lot of time in Manhattan for work I haven’t had to deal with a bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on the “ease” of transporting my bike on any of the trains? I am absolutely not going to let it out of my site, can it just sit by me on the train?

Also is anyone going to be at Diablo this weekend?

thanks everyone...

_Bill

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Ok, so I have a question for all any of you with experience in or around Manhattan transporting a bike by train/subway. A friend and I are planning to head to Diablo this weekend for both Saturday and Sunday, I have a close friend that lives in midtown manhattan so our thoughts were to ride all day Saturday, then drive to Newark and take the train into the city to stay there for the night…Then head back out to ride Sunday.

While I spend a lot of time in Manhattan for work I haven’t had to deal with a bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on the “ease” of transporting my bike on any of the trains? I am absolutely not going to let it out of my site, can it just sit by me on the train?

Also is anyone going to be at Diablo this weekend?

thanks everyone...

_Bill
My advice- Drive into the city and put the bikes in the room with you. It'l suck to wake up and take the train to the car and then drive to the mountain. The only time you'll be given flack would be during rush-hour. Otherwise its usually all good. They have better things to worry about then a couple of dudes with swanky bikes (unless its Critical Mass time and then you can expect the hose)

edit:why did this get moved? No one checks the NE forum.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i believe the first and last cars are the place to be when travelling with a bike. During rush hour you can still bring a bike on either the first or last car BUT..... they are allowed to refuse entry if they fell its too crowded..

and you just hopefully find a seat and keep the bike right with you

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i believe the first and last cars are the place to be when travelling with a bike. During rush hour you can still bring a bike on either the first or last car BUT..... they are allowed to refuse entry if they fell its too crowded..

and you just hopefully find a seat and keep the bike right with you
Cool it will be a saturday night and a sunday morn so we should be good. Perfect. Thanks!

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Parking in the city on Sat nights isn't usually that bad- even if you're 8 blocks away from your buddy's spot in midtown, it's a lot less effort than hauling bikes on trains, and it'll be a lot quicker, too. Getting out on trains on a Sunday morning can take forever, but there's rarely any car traffic.

Never had any trouble taking the bike on NJ Transit or PATH trains. First car on NJ Transit usually has the handicap area, or any car on the PATH train is fine.

A couple of our guys are going out to Diablo on Sunday...

NYCMTB thread

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
I will be at diablo on Sat as well. First time riding there. I ride snowshoe all summer, and this will be my first time at diablo. Will be on a Powdercoated red Chumba f4 with a boxxer team. I am in NYC for work, and drove in just so I could bring a bike along.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
E 87th

I guess that is more upper east side isnt it? I'm sorry i know the setty somewhat well...I would like to have people show me the good ways to link up the mountain, i have never been there...
y'know, depending on how far over they are, street parking might not be out of the question.